Kicks from the penalty mark - lowest scoring

Cosmic Joe

I noticed that a Challenge Cup tie the other week ended up in a 2-1 success for Coleraine against Formartine United in a penalty shoot-out. I can't recall a lower scoring outcome involving a Scottish side. Is this an unwanted  record in this category?

1 hour ago, Angusfifer said:

I noticed that a Challenge Cup tie the other week ended up in a 2-1 success for Coleraine against Formartine United in a penalty shoot-out. I can't recall a lower scoring outcome involving a Scottish side. Is this an unwanted  record in this category?

Chap above has given an example of a 2-0, I'm sure there have been others as low as that, I can't think of any 1-0s though.

A Scotsman played in the match ending with what's often called the worst penalty shoot-out of all time, when Steaua Bucharest beat Barcelona 2-0 in the 1986 European Cup Final. Steve Archibald was subbed in injury time and looked on as four of his teammates missed. 

I'd have to look it up but in late 1980s there was an East of Scotland Cup SF or Final - Meadowbank v Berwick - which apparently finished 9-8 on penalties but well into people having their 2nd shots. Apparently around the time we also played them in the Scottish Cup and it went to a replay.

It might have combined highest score v most misses!

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'd have to look it up but in late 1980s there was an East of Scotland Cup SF or Final - Meadowbank v Berwick - which apparently finished 9-8 on penalties but well into people having their 2nd shots. Apparently around the time we also played them in the Scottish Cup and it went to a replay.

It might have combined highest score v most misses!

Oh, I remember that! It was the East of Scotland 'City' Cup Final (not the same thing as the East of Scotland Shield).

Archived