St Johnstone players overlooked by Scotland

ExiledSaint

9 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

None spring to mind. What's the point in bringing folk into squads only to not play them? You miss Scot Gemmil that much?

:)

Its that bringing them into a squad gets them involved with other international players in that environment; part of their development. It's not uncommon for  players to be selected for international squads several times prior to eventually being capped.

• 2 years later...

Cant see any St Johnstone players making the cut dispite the cup heroics 

I could be wrong though the Hibs players managed to get in and the Motherwell players 

Nobody is jumping out at me with them that we haven't got better at English championship clubs and abroad 

Stevie Clarke might have other ideas though and see it totally different from what I do

• 5 months later...

Zander Clark, Shaun Rooney, Jason Kerr, Chris Kane.

As well as these nailed on selections, which other St Johnstone players would folk like to see Clarke bring into the Scotland squad?

There is a reasonable argument you drop most of the haddies from the euros debacle and replace them with the St Johnstone starting team, with Billy Gilmour in for Ali McCann being the slight drop in quality, cancelled out by Andy Robertson in place of Callum Booth. 

Spoiler

Winners > losers

I think there is a good case for a couple of St Johnstone players being called up to the September squad, specifically Jason Kerr and to a lesser degree Zander Clark. I think it's worth keeping our options open at both RCB and GK and there's an element of them deserving to be recognized for their achievements over the last year or so.

I'm not really sold on Shaun Rooney, but I'm not a St Johnstone fan and therefore wouldn't object to his inclusion - just wouldn't pick him myself.

With Marshall 3rd choice at Derby I can’t see him getting into the squad. Gordon and McLaughlin almost definitely have 2 of the 3 places available, I’d say the last place is split between Kelly or Clark. It just falls down to who impresses more in the next week.

Obviously a moot point now, but had he not played for NI would McCann have been in with a shout too? Clearly Scotlands strongest area of the pitch, so unlikely, but a better option than say Fleck.

On the other Saints players, obviously Saints fans are biased and we see these guys every week, but even objectively it's hard to argue against at least one of the defensive players inclusion. Defence is Scotlands weakest area of the team and when there is a team with 3 Scottish CB's bossing most games and a scottish keeper behind them and none get a sniff, it's not difficult to see why fans ask the questions as to why they might get overlooked.

Think it's quite clear none of our players will make the next squad, and I'm not sure why folk are getting their hopes up.

Way Steve Clarke operates means Liam Kelly has more chance than Zander Clark, while Welsh and Ralston have more chance than Kerr or Rooney. We'll get the usual patronising "they're good players we'll co time to have a look at, they're not far away" before they get ruled out based on a bad 10 minutes v the OF later in the season.

Not sure Gordon or McCart are better than their competitors to get near the squad though.

Edited by RandomGuy.