St Johnstone players overlooked by Scotland

ExiledSaint

2 hours ago, ali_91 said:

This is absolute bollocks and a complete myth, it was a game akin to shooting practice, of course there were going to be one or two that you think he might have done better with when he faced 16 shots. He won the man of the match poll with 59% of the vote on our forum and was widely regarded at the time as the only one to come out of the match with any credit whatsoever. 

I was going to ignore this post because you can’t be rational when it comes to St Johnstone, but it ties in well with Peter Grant’s outrageous comments this morning. 

FE20CF73-6549-459B-BDED-F3F55B7AA72A.png

It is important to bear in mind that Peter Grant has a single figure IQ.

He probably genuinely thinks that a keeper who keeps a clean sheet in the face of one speculative long ranger has had a better game than one who has made 6 top class saves and been let down by a badly organised defence. Anything more difficult than counting goals will confuse him.

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

I'm not gonna rant Clark should be in the squad, but it is something that irks me to an extent. 

In 2013, when we were out of the 2014 WC Running, and Strachan had just taken over the job he overlooked an inform May for Kris Boyd, it wasn't something i lost sleep over, but i felt calling up a young player to even be involved in training would've been better for said players development. 

Jason Kerr was named player of the tournament, or something similar at the Toulon Tournament this summer, you'd think someone at the SFA Would've been interested in keeping an eye on him for cover just incase, however David Bates has now twice been called up, I'm not going to rant about that one, after a poor start at Hamburg he seem's to have settled down and got a run of form, but its in the Bundesliga 2. 

Clark had a poor run of form, but so did the whole squad at that point, since then he's turned it around, It not like either MacDonald or Bain will play in Albania or Glasgow this week, so why not give it to the younger goalkeeper? 

I get the point about MacDonald, but Bain and Clark are both 26.

9 hours ago, ali_91 said:

This is absolute bollocks and a complete myth, it was a game akin to shooting practice, of course there were going to be one or two that you think he might have done better with when he faced 16 shots. He won the man of the match poll with 59% of the vote on our forum and was widely regarded at the time as the only one to come out of the match with any credit whatsoever. 

I watched the game and thought he was shite.

I'm sure he's been far better in other matches though and his clean sheet record recently is excellent. He's not going to get a game anyway so I don't think it matters.

On 14/11/2018 at 10:14, PauloPerth said:

That is an unbelievable thing for a Scotland coach to come away with.  Firstly, because it's shite, "they" were never crucifying the goalkeeper for that debacle. Imagine just making up a statement like that.

Secondly, how is that in any way encouragement to a potential squad member further down the line? The correct thing to say would just be some bland pish along the lines of "we felt we had better options with others, but we're aware of the good form of a couple of keepers in the Scottish league."

The entire coaching staff of the national team are out their depth.

All true.

Peter Grant has always been an utterly brainless moron.  It's horrifying that he has such a role.

On 11/14/2018 at 08:56, RandomGuy. said:

Worth remembering the Scotland coaching team clearly aren't watching talented young players based solely on who they play for.

In five years when we've got another batch of 28yo players with 3 caps and wonder why we struggle to cope with tough international games, you'll come back to this.

Aye, we'll be pining for Foster and Clark right enough. 

On 14/11/2018 at 09:03, mizfit said:

Clark had a poor run of form, but so did the whole squad at that point, since then he's turned it around, It not like either MacDonald or Bain will play in Albania or Glasgow this week, so why not give it to the younger goalkeeper? 

'They're not gonna play anyway so why not just call up the one who plays for my team?' :lol:

On 14/11/2018 at 02:56, RandomGuy. said:

In five years when we've got another batch of 28yo players with 3 caps and wonder why we struggle to cope with tough international games, you'll come back to this.

Yet you're sobbing about a pish 26 year old keeper not being the fifth choice. 

The keeper thing is a moot point, if anyone has an argument it's Liam Kelly. Especially if you want to make the age argument.

I think the Hendry callup is a sham though. Kerr certainly is better, as are Halkett and Findlay. The boy Hendry has looked out his depth the majority of times I've seen him since he signed for them.

12 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Aye, we'll be pining for Foster and Clark right enough. 

I'd be stunned if Kerr hasn't been called up at some point over the next few years.

He got dropped by the U21s for "being too old", and was replaced in the squad by somebody other.

Considering McLaughlin took until he was 31 to get called up, Clark has five years.

Both have been extensively scouted by Championship teams, Kerr has been since he was at QOS on loan. As soon as they move they'll be called up, NAP.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd be stunned if Kerr hasn't been called up at some point over the next few years.

He got dropped by the U21s for "being too old", and was replaced in the squad by somebody other.

Considering McLaughlin took until he was 31 to get called up, Clark has five years.

Both have been extensively scouted by Championship teams, Kerr has been since he was at QOS on loan. As soon as they move they'll be called up, NAP.

It seems that we've got an absolute plethora of young centre backs coming through at the moment tbh. Liam Lindsay wasn't called up as soon as he got to the championship, still hasn't been called up now. 

Liam Lindsay is and always has been a better player than Jack Hendry.

I can understand why he's not in the squad right now, but the fact that he wasn't considered at any point during his time playing every week for Barnsley in the Championship is still nonsense. Plus, if League One is such a no-go area, then I wonder why Charlie Mulgrew was still playing all our games when he was playing for Blackburn last season. The Scottish NT being a complete shambles full of these types of inconsistencies isn't really a surprise, though.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Extensively scouted by Championship teams

He has. At least two have had scouts at most our games for the past year, and one was a regular at Queens game. There's been contact with the club aswell.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He has. At least two have had scouts at most our games for the past year, and one was a regular at Queens game. There's been contact with the club aswell.

Who gives a f**k, honestly. The fact you think that's a big deal should be enough of a sign of why these diddies are rightly not considered. 

22 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Who gives a f**k, honestly. The fact you think that's a big deal should be enough of a sign of why these diddies are rightly not considered. 

If you "don't give a f**k", why not just ignore the thread, instead of quoting me all over the shop and red dotting every post to try and get my attention.

Bizarre behaviour, which just extends this whole discussion.