St Johnstone players overlooked by Scotland

ExiledSaint

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

RandomGuy now using hyperbole to try make it look like he was trolling the whole time.

Not at all, it's a fact that Stevie May was verging on a new deal with us, before having second thoughts as he didn't see a realistic path to caps. Strachan was aware of him, but never capped him until he moved.

We've now got Clark and Kerr, two home grown young Scots, who'll have less interest in staying because they know they won't get called up at Saints, something a player has admitted the whole squad think. 

It's puts us at a disadvantage in terms of signing or keeping Scots, purely because those in charge still have the mindset nobody playing for Saints could be good enough. You'll see it when/if Watt gets close to call ups too, he'll be completely ignored but if he moves to Aberdeen or Hibs, two teams Saints are battling for position this season, he'd be in straight away.

1 hour ago, Estragon said:

Certainly piling the pressure on a result today. What could go wrong? 

We lose.

There's been Ross County, Motherwell, Hibernian and Kilmarnock players called up lately. 

Whys it so ridiculous to be annoyed that St Johnstone players have consistently been ignored in favour of them?

Tony Watt never got capped when he played for Celtic, Standard Liège or Hearts (or indeed Airdrie) - he got a sub appearance in a friendly against the Czech Republic when he was at Charlton though he was on loan to Blackburn at the time, I think.   I don't think McDiarmid Park has been an inexplicable black hole of national team recognition for Tony Watt.

6 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Tony Watt never got capped when he played for Celtic, Standard Liège or Hearts (or indeed Airdrie) - he got a sub appearance in a friendly against the Czech Republic when he was at Charlton though he was on loan to Blackburn at the time, I think.   I don't think McDiarmid Park has been an inexplicable black hole of national team recognition for Tony Watt.

That's not my point, he was just an easy example of a player who'll be touted for caps if he goes on a  scoring run (like May was), but who wouldn't get capped until he moved (like May) and will probably end up leaving us because he can't fulfil his ambition to play for Scotland with us (like May).

I don't think this decision on Zander in isolation is enough to be angry about, it's more the fact that it's another one added to a list of 'overlooks'.  

I think it must have been under21 squads a couple of years ago where Jack Hamilton was chosen when at Hearts ahead of Clark simply because of who he played for. That's a keeper the fans of the team with the worst opening third of a season for a long time, don't want anywhere near their starting side!

I think if Zander's recent form had been since the start of the season then the decision would be far more questionable. We lost 5 and 6 over the space of a couple of weeks which wouldn't have helped. Having said that, McGregor just shipped 4 the other night...

As much as I like Ryan Christie as a player, the fact he's had 3 good games in a row -after hardly playing for the previous 3 months - and goes straight into a squad, does make the above argument about Zander's great form only being recent, a lot weaker.

Just now, PauloPerth said:

I don't think this decision on Zander in isolation is enough to be angry about, it's more the fact that it's another one added to a list of 'overlooks'.  

I think it must have been under21 squads a couple of years ago where Jack Hamilton was chosen when at Hearts ahead of Clark simply because of who he played for. That's a keeper the fans of the team with the worst opening third of a season for a long time, don't want anywhere near their starting side!

I think if Zander's recent form had been since the start of the season then the decision would be far more questionable. We lost 5 and 6 over the space of a couple of weeks which wouldn't have helped. Having said that, McGregor just shipped 4 the other night...

As much as I like Ryan Christie as a player, the fact he's had 3 good games in a row -after hardly playing for the previous 3 months - and goes straight into a squad, does make the above argument about Zander's great form only being recent, a lot weaker.

Mikey Devlin has 11 appearances in 18 months.

Straight into numerous squads. Hes played well but FFS, the double standards are insane.

22 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I despise McLeish but at least he’s giving us some entertainment with these bumpkin heads gone moments every time some diddy who’s nowhere near good enough is left out.

Worth remembering the Scotland coaching team clearly aren't watching talented young players based solely on who they play for.

In five years when we've got another batch of 28yo players with 3 caps and wonder why we struggle to cope with tough international games, you'll come back to this.

I'm not gonna rant Clark should be in the squad, but it is something that irks me to an extent. 

In 2013, when we were out of the 2014 WC Running, and Strachan had just taken over the job he overlooked an inform May for Kris Boyd, it wasn't something i lost sleep over, but i felt calling up a young player to even be involved in training would've been better for said players development. 

Jason Kerr was named player of the tournament, or something similar at the Toulon Tournament this summer, you'd think someone at the SFA Would've been interested in keeping an eye on him for cover just incase, however David Bates has now twice been called up, I'm not going to rant about that one, after a poor start at Hamburg he seem's to have settled down and got a run of form, but its in the Bundesliga 2. 

Clark had a poor run of form, but so did the whole squad at that point, since then he's turned it around, It not like either MacDonald or Bain will play in Albania or Glasgow this week, so why not give it to the younger goalkeeper? 

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

This is absolute bollocks and a complete myth, it was a game akin to shooting practice, of course there were going to be one or two that you think he might have done better with when he faced 16 shots. He won the man of the match poll with 59% of the vote on our forum and was widely regarded at the time as the only one to come out of the match with any credit whatsoever. 

I was going to ignore this post because you can’t be rational when it comes to St Johnstone, but it ties in well with Peter Grant’s outrageous comments this morning. 

FE20CF73-6549-459B-BDED-F3F55B7AA72A.png

That is an unbelievable thing for a Scotland coach to come away with.  Firstly, because it's shite, "they" were never crucifying the goalkeeper for that debacle. Imagine just making up a statement like that.

Secondly, how is that in any way encouragement to a potential squad member further down the line? The correct thing to say would just be some bland pish along the lines of "we felt we had better options with others, but we're aware of the good form of a couple of keepers in the Scottish league."

The entire coaching staff of the national team are out their depth.

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

That is an unbelievable thing for a Scotland coach to come away with.  Firstly, because it's shite, "they" were never crucifying the goalkeeper for that debacle. Imagine just making up a statement like that.

Secondly, how is that in any way encouragement to a potential squad member further down the line? The correct thing to say would just be some bland pish along the lines of "we felt we had better options with others, but we're aware of the good form of a couple of keepers in the Scottish league."

The entire coaching staff of the national team are out their depth.

This. If they'd simply said Bain impressed them in Mexico and they felt that it wasn't the right time to call up new keepers, it wouldn't be as bad, but to completely slag a keeper, and not even name him, is embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

In 2013, when we were out of the 2014 WC Running, and Strachan had just taken over the job he overlooked an inform May for Kris Boyd, it wasn't something i lost sleep over, but i felt calling up a young player to even be involved in training would've been better for said players development.

Kris Boyd scored 22 goals in the Premiership that season - more than May did. And he was only called up for one pair of friendlies and didn't get on the park.