St Johnstone players overlooked by Scotland

ExiledSaint

Given what happened recently with the omission of Jason Kerr from the U21's squad (as well as the ridiculous reasoning behind it), I got to thinking about the St Johnstone players that were either ignored by the Scotland manager when they were in contention, or even worse, ended up getting capped within a very short time of leaving Saints.

Yes there's maybe a few sides that can claim a similar thing, but as Saints are my team I looked into it.

Over the last 30 years or so Billy Dodds, Stevie May, Callum Davidson, Paul Wright, and John O'Neil were all capped within a year of leaving St Johnstone (Scotland B cap in Wright's case). Ally McCoist was a bit further back and was about 3 years, but he was good enough at the time to get in the squad.

John Inglis, Dave Mackay, Steven Anderson, Allan Preston, Steven Milne, Allan Moore and Alan Main were all overlooked despite all arguably being viable options at the time.

Murray Davidson has a single cap in 2012.

It's tinfoil hat stuff I know, but I can't help but feel that if any of the above players had played for Aberdeen or Hearts for example then they would have been capped.

It's tinfoil hat stuff I know, but I can't help but feel that if any of the above players had played for Aberdeen or Hearts for example then they would have been capped.

Perhaps if they had been better players they would have played for Aberdeen or Hearts.

Tbf May's the one that irks me. Scored over 20 goals for us without a mention of a call up, goes to Sheffield Wednesday and is instantly in contention despite getting four goals all season. 

11 hours ago, ExiledSaint said:

Given what happened recently with the omission of Jason Kerr from the U21's squad (as well as the ridiculous reasoning behind it), I got to thinking about the St Johnstone players that were either ignored by the Scotland manager when they were in contention, or even worse, ended up getting capped within a very short time of leaving Saints.

Yes there's maybe a few sides that can claim a similar thing, but as Saints are my team I looked into it.

Over the last 30 years or so Billy Dodds, Stevie May, Callum Davidson, Paul Wright, and John O'Neil were all capped within a year of leaving St Johnstone (Scotland B cap in Wright's case). Ally McCoist was a bit further back and was about 3 years, but he was good enough at the time to get in the squad.

John Inglis, Dave Mackay, Steven Anderson, Allan Preston, Steven Milne, Allan Moore and Alan Main were all overlooked despite all arguably being viable options at the time.

Murray Davidson has a single cap in 2012.

You drunk m8?

Did Steven Milne even score for us in the top flight? He was decent for us in the first division but I don't think he did much for us after we won promotion. I don't think he was anywhere near the standard required for a call up to be honest.

Stevie May is the only one from that list who definitely should've gotten a cap during his golden season and probably would've done under a different manager, but I'd struggle to make much of an argument for the rest given the other options at the time, aside from the ones mentioned from the late 80s/early 90s as I'm a bit young to know the landscape from then or to comment on their ability. I always thought the 'Biscuits for Scotland' campaign was done ironically.