Berwick vs Clyde New Season Lurve fest Continuation

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn’t understand why Robbie brought on Todd for Scott in the last stage of the game. It really took away any threat we had and, if anything,  gave Clyde the incentive to push on for the winner. Clyde were excellent in the 2nd half yesterday  and deserved the win. Fantastic away support too. 

13 hours ago, dougster said:

Sickener to lose but at least we are scoring goals and competing with one of the best teams in the league. Goodwillie booked for diving, there’s a surprise 

We still can’t defend tho. We’re not gonna pick up points if we can’t do the basics at the back regardless if we score.  I’d like the see Brown replace o’kane in centre midfield because he’d at least give the team some creativity going forward. I’m not actually sure what o’kane brings to the team tbh, he looks like he has a trampoline attached to his foot and has no creativity at all. Just runs about doing nothing. 

This is probably the worst Berwick team I’ve seen. I know there has been the usual boardroom politics but is Robbie free from any criticism. I don’t think he should be, the team looks all over the place and there seems to be no leaders or belief. Robbie needs to change that or the club might have to bring someone else in.

8 hours ago, Scarves said:

Who else saw and heard Gary Phillips telling Clyde fans to FO while leaving the pitch at full time?  Retrospective red card for that IMO.

Not sure the players name but the Berwick number 11 reacted angrily to a Clyde fan in the tunnel before disappearing.

16 hours ago, David W said:

The first half we just didn't play well, all aspects of the game. We completely dominated possession but moved the ball too slowly; a combination of players being safe, poor touches on a sticky pitch, players being in the wrong places (Love high and wide didn't work, McStay dropping deep didn't work). Berwick defended smartly as well.  Our defending was poor as well. The first goal saw Rumsby beaten challenging for a long ball and McNiff was tied in knots trying to deal with the flick-on. Great finish though. The second saw Phillips run from deep past Nicoll, Cuddihy, Rankin, and again McNiff didn't look too clever as the Berwick player against produced a good finish. I'd be lying if I said it was deserved but for all our possession we only really had a shot off the post by Goodwillie and a shot from Cuddihy that was saved.

The half-time change saw AKB (it is easier) replace the completely ineffectual Love (I still think he doesn't quite fit into our style, takes too many touches and doesn't have a burst of pace) and we went two up top. Slightly strange arrangement in midfield with nobody on the left, but Lamont, Rankin and Grant using that space so much that it ended up being our biggest danger area. We just had so much aggression and movement. To get back level so quickly was terrific, with Goodwillie tapping home a McNiff cut-back, and Lamont's through ball being superbly poked into the net by AKB. Berwick lost the plot to be honest after the first; we hit the bar with an AKB cross, and Lamont should have scored the rebound. Right after the equaliser Goodwillie went on a run from half-way past three or four players but put his shot past the post.

I thought we lost quite a bit of our momentum when McStay (who admittedly wasn't particularly influential) went off to be replaced by Lyon. I suppose it was also unlikely we'd play like that the whole half. Still, Rankin saw a volley well saved and both strikers had other efforts, with Goodwillie also rightly booked for an awful dive, I think he even apologised to the Berwick defender. Berwick almost stole it with a header from a corner kick that Grant cleared off the line (he's saved us a couple of goals this season). The winner saw Boyle (who contributed more in his short stint as a sub than he has the rest of the season) link up with Lamont, who put Goodwillie in. His shot was well saved, AKB's rebound was superbly saved, before the next rebound was fired in. Cue bedlam on both sides of the pitch amongst supporters, and on the pitch amongst the players and coaches. GK coach was sent off for running the length of the touchline to join in and given a round of applause as he made his way into the stand. 

Currie had almost nothing to do; couldn't get anywhere near either goal. Rumsby and McNiff didn't deal well with Berwick's front players, got better as the game went on though. The quality of distribution from both full-backs was terrific again, with Grant one of the few to play reasonably well in both halves. Nicoll struggled first half (as did most of the team) but helped keep us on the front foot after the break. I thought Rankin did as much as anyone in driving us forward after the break, though Lamont was the standout performer by a mile. If AKB stays motivated then that front two will be unplayable; the Berwick defenders thought they'd dealt with him, then Goodwillie was driving at them (and vice versa). They are just the perfect blend of physical attributes, unpredictability and goalscoring instinct. It was good to see a promising cameo from Boyle but Lyon has to do a lot more to contribute anything other than a bit of running.

Berwick are just a bizarre team. Not really sure what to make of them. Organised first half, fell apart after our first. John Neill and Gary Phillips still kicking about (they've been around for ages), a decent midfielder playing at full-back, a couple of great finishes but nowhere near the same quality in general play. I did feel a bit for the goalkeeper who made some great stops. Can't see you guys being out of the bottom three.

The league table, and the efforts of the top three, makes some reading. I'd be delighted with a win next week to take us into the biggest double header we've had in years (Peterhead/Edinburgh in consecutive weeks). We are getting better with every game, and gaining confidence, but so are the top two. Belmokhtar could be the difference that tips things in our favour though.

War and Peace LOL

The last couple of minutes of they highlights are incredible. Simply incredible. Yesterday is right up there in terms of away days in 15+ years of watching Clyde. 

Belmokhtar has to start up front with Goodie. The two of them will be unstoppable. His first goal was fuckintg sublime. Mark Lamont is also becoming a fans favourite, his second half performance would incredible.

The goalie coach :lol: absolutely no idea who he is but that celebration is amazing. What a fucking team. 

Archived