Betfred Semi-Finals

glasgow-sheep

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

The Sunday transport argument is a non starter considering Scotland matches are now scheduled for a Sunday Night at Hampden with the same issues facing everyone, yet I've heard very little complaints about this.

I'd say there's a fairly strong consensus believing that Sunday night internationals are a nonsense, but AFAIK those kick off times are stipulated by UEFA /FIFA.

Domestically we have much more of a say over avoiding playing big games at times like that.

11 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Eh ? Of course I don’t KNOW  I’m wrong. I MIGHT be wrong. But as the first 2 teams I checked STILL have fixtures scheduled for 2 days after a Europa tie ( and they’ve had quite a few weeks now to reschedule ) then, as things stand, the facts back up my paranoia. But since you obviously work at the SPFL, why don’t you save us all the arguments and post a link to the rule that says no team should be asked to play 2 days after a Europa tie ?

"STILL" as in a couple of hours after you last checked?  Just keep hitting refresh mate, it'll come.

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think you've gone full tin foil hat here.

Arsenal Spurs will be rescheduled, they'll just be waiting for a tv time before confirming when it is.

Can't think of any league where a team plays Thursday/Saturday in the EL.

In 2012, Newcastle played Chelsea on the 25th of August - two days after travelling to Greece for a Europa League play-off. 

It's obviously an incredibly rare occurrence, but I just thought I'd share it with you fine gentlemen. 

All this talk of coin toss etc isn’t a bad idea.
They should have a coin toss to decide the ties.
Obviously as Celtic & Rangers have already benefitted by not having to play within 48 hours of their last game. Aberdeen & Hearts get the shout on the toss.
McInnes & Levein both shout “what a cats got”
Picture Rodgers & Gerrard walking away, shaking their heads at missing out on a national final.

3 hours ago, Guts said:

Hehe you didn't, your patter is awful though and merits a ban for the line "Don't spraff a lot of BS" even taking it you meant "spaff".

It might be hard to explain to you if you can't see the reasoning yourself, I will try though.

You are not in Europe so you cannot know they wouldn't make the same arrangement for you in a domestic cup game. Someone else said it might be a UEFA rule but I admitted I didn't know as it didn't affect my opinion that it would be changed for Hearts regardless in the same way for Celtic, Rangers or any other Scottish club.

No. Unless you have a speech defect, the word is spraff.

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Possibly, but you come back when you find any fixture across Europe played 2 days after a EL game.  Not scheduled ahead of time, actually going ahead.

Doubtful... Outside of severe fixture congestion it'll be unheard of not to have 2 clear days between games now (only recent cases I recall are Boxing Day/New Year down south and a few English League Cup where TV wanted games on funny nights and no-one cared; might find similar on the continent).

There might be some cases in late 1990s/early 2000s when Thursday night UEFA Cup games were new.

6 hours ago, H Wragg said:

They’re literally meaning ‘the first tie drawn out the hat is’

It is an enduring myth - another example is people thinking whoever plays in the first SF gets the home dressing room in a Final (although that would be a fine way of doing it).

You also see it in the Scottish Cup - where there is a groundshare, many people thinking that whoever got drawn first plays on the Saturday and the other team has to move. This has a sub-myth of its own that Scottish Cup ties knock league games out of the way when in actual fact that never happens: even main users like Spartans or Cumbernauld don't displace an Edinburgh City or Clyde game in SPFL2.

1 hour ago, Heart of Northern said:

Top PR work from Doncaster. He's really earning his wages.

Since the problem seems to have come about as both Old Firm teams are still in Europe thought Doncaster may have went back to his other Masterplan as per The Challenge Cup, it would be the ideal time for the Old Firm Colts to get some real experience play them in the Semi Finals then they could play anytime :thumsup2 

Archived