Betfred Semi-Finals

glasgow-sheep

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest asking Aberdeen fans to travel to Glasgow in time for a lunchtime kick off on a Sunday is the biggest shame on humanity since the ethnic cleansing of Europe by the Nazis in WW2.

Im hoping Sting and Bono will stage a fund raising concert to raise funds and awareness for poor Dons having to get up at 7.00am on a Sunday, some of whom rarely miss any cup final they get to, granted they have difficulty making most games at Pittodrie but it's disgraceful the inhumane treatment these people are having to endure.

9 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

To be honest asking Aberdeen fans to travel to Glasgow in time for a lunchtime kick off on a Sunday is the biggest shame on humanity since the ethnic cleansing of Europe by the Nazis in WW2.

Im hoping Sting and Bono will stage a fund raising concert to raise funds and awareness for poor Dons having to get up at 7.00am on a Sunday, some of whom rarely miss any cup final they get to, granted they have difficulty making most games at Pittodrie but it's disgraceful the inhumane treatment these people are having to endure.

2/10... And I'm being generous

All to bend over to your lot cos you’ll throw the toys out the pram because your poor wee players won’t get an extra couple of hours kip.

Amazing that the Celtic fans forget that they closed half the stadium cos their pals that don’t exist anymore weren’t in the league.

It is important to remember that (some) Aberdeen fans are perma-raging about the club moving their stadium a mile or two from the current location so this game being in Glasgow at 12pm was inevitably going to lead to some major heads gone moments.

Hearts club statement

I must, firstly, start by congratulating Craig, the coaching staff and the players on last night’s win over Motherwell, which takes us into the semi-finals of the Betfred Cup.
A ‘good old fashioned cup tie’ was made even more special by a big crowd inside Tynecastle and I must also thank the fans for their tremendous support, which has been evident all season.

The 4 clubs involved in the semi-finals met today at Hampden to discuss arrangements for the matches. We were advised that our semi-final match with Celtic will be played at 7.45pm on Sunday, October 28th at Hampden with Aberdeen facing Rangers at the same venue at 12pm. Whatever options I may have expected, I was astonished...and I was not alone in that regard...to be informed that both games would be played on the same day at Hampden. I had gone into the meeting, confident that the games would be scheduled for different venues...or if not, for different days.

It was explained that it was essential to play both games at Hampden because of contractual obligations between the SPFL and Hampden and that the heavily congested fixtures meant that postponing one of the games to the following week was not feasible.

We were further advised that both Police Scotland and Hampden have given their assurances to the SPFL that they will be able to manage the demands of two games in one day. We discussed this at length and I made it clear that we were far from happy with the scheduling, particularly in light of the difficulties it would cause to all traveling supporters...from all clubs. At a time when Scottish football is thriving we should be doing all we can to encourage fans to come along…not make it difficult or even impossible.

I also expressed my concern, from a footballing point of view, in terms of whether the pitch would stand up to two games in one day, especially if the weather is bad. We were assured by the representative from Hampden that this would not be a problem.

Still concerned, I asked whether the SPFL would explore with Hampden the possibility of releasing us from the obligation to play both games at Hampden given the very special circumstances. I was advised late this afternoon that a formal request had been made following our meeting but that no release from our contractual obligations was possible.

In summary, I have made my feelings clear, on behalf of Heart of Midlothian Football Club, both in person and in writing, that we do have serious concerns that the planned schedule is not in the best interest of Scottish football, the club and certainly not the supporters. Following further conversations this evening, I do not believe the plan can/will be changed. However, we will remain in dialogue with the SPFL to try to ensure we make this occasion what it should be; a memorable day out for the supporters of all four football clubs involved in the competition.

Ann Budge

Just dont talk nonsense. Aberdeen fans travel across the country, as do celtic fans. The difference is this is a national semi final.

Just seen this and thought it was a joke. Absolutely no chance of getting back to Dundee from Mount Florida after the match - the SPFL can go and f**k themselves.

Can we just have dedicated Aberdeen/Hearts pubs outside Hampden? Don't mind the idea of an all day sesh with the Dons fans after they pap Rangers out.

:lol: the footballing authorities in Scotland, whether it's the SFA or the SPFL couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. 

Common sense would have suggested swapping the Celtic v Hearts tie with the following weekends league fixture at Parkhead or playing the tie at Murrayfield thus allowing the Aberdeen v Rangers* tie to be played at a 2.30pm kick off to allow fans from up North to attend.

Even in a set up so devoid of any decent TV monies the football authorities and the Club's f**k the fans over for buttons. Fair play to the fans that have stuck by the game this long as it really should have withered at the vine and died the way it's been run over the years.

10 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

What would the reaction have been if Rangers vs Aberdeen was 12 noon at Hampden and Hearts vs Celtic was 7:45pm at Murrayfield?

The same I'm guessing, except you'd probably have Celtic fans also complaining.

Anne’s got some brass neck complaining about semi final scheduling when they were only given a slap on the bum for being cheaturz earlier in the competition IMO.

Sucking the SPFL boaby one minute, chewing it off the next.

5 minutes ago, Austinho said:

Anne’s got some brass neck complaining about semi final scheduling when they were only given a slap on the bum for being cheaturz earlier in the competition IMO.

Sucking the SPFL boaby one minute, chewing it off the next.

Fair point actually, the game in question (Elgin v Hearts?) should have been awarded 3-0 to Elgin due to Hearts fielding an ineligible player. 

Hearts might still have qualified from the group however....

Aside from travel issues, I'm not really getting the thinking of the police on this. Although they're obviously familiar with segregating the immediate area around the ground and sending different supports in different directions, you can't do it the whole way from the city centre.

Even if you go for the ridiculous conspiracy theory that having Aberdeen kick off before any trains arrive in Glasgow is a Machiavellian plot to take their fans out of the equation by forcing them to travel by bus, which stops them being in the centre and going to pubs in the same numbers as they would for a 3pm kick-off, that still leaves three supports. Even then if you're going to have split Celtic/Hearts trains to Mount Florida and King's Park, you can't account for every fan coming by train using them.

There are inevitably going to be Hearts and Celtic fans on the piss all day, with a considerable number of Hearts fans in Glasgow before the early game is finished. What's going to stop people attending the second game who've started early working their way from the centre to Hampden on foot meeting large groups of Rangers fans heading back to the city centre via pubs around Pollokshaws Road, Victoria Road?

If anyone lives above ground floor in that area you should sell tickets, there's potential for utter scenes out your windows.

Archived