Anyone stopped drinking for 6 months/a year

Ylf

I cut down drinking around about 16 years ago when I was 21 after finding out I had atrial fibrillation. The AF can be triggered by anything but I find if I have more than 2-3 beers that my heart will race for 12-16 hours after I finish.
Being honest it had a real ffect on me at that age as I had mates that would go out 2-3 times a week, as folks that age do. I’d join them but found I was totally separate from them when they were blitzed and I was enjoying a water or fizzy juice.
I occasionally enjoyed a whisky but Iv not had an alcoholic drink in 2 years now.
I don’t know if I just don’t have a personality that lends itself towards addiction or what? But I gave up smoking one day as well and never really looked back. Not everyone has it that easy sadlyas I saw with my brother in law who died from alcoholism about 4 years ago and one of my best mates who is fighting it at the moment.

I worry I am a functioning alcoholic. Luckily I rarely touch spirits but I’ll sup beer all night long and frankly hardly have a night off if there is beer in the house. I did dry January a couple times including this year and it was actually no problem but the minute I decide I want a drink, I’ll rattle as many cans, bottles and subs ( for the house beerwulf machine) as is available.

I have been like this for at least 10+ years and I’m now early 50s. I had a night off last night and think I’m going to go dry for a month or two at least. Feel much fresher this morning but this “working from home” is wrecking my motivation.