Anyone stopped drinking for 6 months/a year

Ylf

nearly 3 weeks into this now.  Weighed myself this morning and haven't lost a bit of weight despite not eating any shit and gym 4/5 times a week so far.
I know it takes time for the weight loss to properly kick in but was relatively pissed off not to have lost anything at all.

Consider it as 3 weeks wasted and get back on the beers ASAP.

• 1 year later...
43 minutes ago, JoanNash said:

Finding out how to help an alcoholic has been an objective in my family for a while now. I have two uncles, both life long friends with the bottle. One of them is drinking constantly while the other has his periods of glory as we name them. He can go without drinking for several months and at some point he just disappears for week or two drinking his brains out. It's even worse than drinking every day in moderate quantities because he brings his body to the limit. He already had a stroke and we are very concerned.

You can't help them if they don't want help.

On 26/09/2018 at 12:01, Shandon Par said:

Stopped once for a few years then started again, caused lots of bother, stopped six months, started again, stopped for another six months then got back on it harder than ever. 

Quit for good now hopefully. Going to AA, trying to be a better person all round. The problem before was that though I'd quit booze I never addressed any of my problems so the stress of not drinking simply added to them. I like doing a couple of sports too and it's so much easier when not shaking off a load of booze. 

Into year 3 of being sober now. Learned to really enjoy doing sports rather than seeing it as punishment to shake off a hangover. Not really enjoyed going to watch football as much. Biggest vice now is sweeties and pizza. 

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Into year 3 of being sober now. Learned to really enjoy doing sports rather than seeing it as punishment to shake off a hangover. Not really enjoyed going to watch football as much. Biggest vice now is sweeties and pizza. 

You’ve stopped drinking? You should have said. 

1 hour ago, JoanNash said:

Finding out how to help an alcoholic has been an objective in my family for a while now. I have two uncles, both life long friends with the bottle. One of them is drinking constantly while the other has his periods of glory as we name them. He can go without drinking for several months and at some point he just disappears for week or two drinking his brains out. It's even worse than drinking every day in moderate quantities because he brings his body to the limit. He already had a stroke and we are very concerned.

Alcohol focus Scotland website has some good advice and resources available.  Also worth checking in with local addiction services.  Binges are difficult to manage.  There are medications that can help, Acamprosate should reduce the desire to drink though its not that effective standalone.   Antabuse will make you quite sick if you drink with it.  

Most important thing though is behavioural support as medication in isolation doesn't work that well tbh.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

My girlfriend wants me to give it up entirely a month before her due date. I think she’s being pretty unreasonable if I’m honest.

I stopped 6 weeks before son and he was two weeks overdue.  Disgraceful.

5 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Do you drink throbber? How does that work out for you? 

He has less injuries drunk thank you have sober m9.   In all seriousness though you have done really well.

11 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Do you drink throbber? How does that work out for you? 

I can’t really complain tbh I have a nice house in the burbs and hold down a decent job and a family and no obvious mental health issues.

5 minutes ago, throbber said:

I can’t really complain tbh I have a nice house in the burbs and hold down a decent job and a family and no obvious mental health issues.

Being a functioning alcoholic is nothing to be proud of.

15 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I stopped 6 weeks before son and he was two weeks overdue.  Disgraceful.

I think I was about a month before my first was born but there were a couple nights I managed to get a few beers in.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Being a functioning alcoholic is nothing to be proud of.

I’m not in that territory nowadays, probably was 2016-2018 although there was never a time where I thought I was unable to stop drinking if I wanted to. I always viewed it as a choice.

I decided to have a week off the drink a few weeks back. after six days i decided to round up to a week and got utterly MWI.

Proved I can stop drinking whenever I want to; learned I don't want to.

40 minutes ago, Bell™ said:

I decided to have a week off the drink a few weeks back. after six days i decided to round up to a week and got utterly MWI.

Proved I can stop drinking whenever I want to; learned I don't want to.

I don’t ever get MWI but I feel about the same as you. It’s all about enjoying doing it and finding a balance where you aren’t doing it every day and enjoy other healthier things in life such as hobbies/exercise/family time. Some people just react badly with the drink and it brings out the worst in them, they’re the types of folk who get people like me labelled as functioning alcoholics.

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

idk man if my other half was specifically asking me to stop drinking I'd probably take a moment to reflect on why

It’s from a month before her due date so I can take her to hospital if she goes into labour.

Obesity thread for this shite but I have been weighing myself twice a week on a Monday and a Friday for 2 months.

What I have noticed is with healthy eating and exercise I generally drop 3/4 pounds Mon-Fri and put 3/4 on Fri-Mon.

Get the occasional net loss week which has meant me dropping a stone ovet the 2 months but I wonder what a month off the booze could do.

Guess we'll never know.

Edited by invergowrie arab

11 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

mhm. you had to be asked.

That’s because I don’t want to go a month without drinking. It’s largely down to her putting the foot down as I’ve enjoyed lockdown a bit too much.