Albion Rovers v. Stirling Albion

3 hours ago, rhliston said:

Yes well done to the Rovers for their first win of the season, unfortunately at the expense of the Albion who quite frankly did not deserve anything form this match. First half did we even have a shot at goals ? Second half we did try and despite hitting the bar and one or two more chances we simply could not keep Rovers from scoring another 2 goals and its no surprise that Dave MacKay is gone tonight. Just hope whoever we get in to replace him can get us playing a lot better standard of football.  

Can we still make the playoffs this year or is that too much for the new guy to achieve ? time will tell be I would wager we will still be in League 2 next season. 

You won't like this, but I fear we may have a fight on our hands just to get clear of the relegation zone.  We could be a long long way behind the top 4 before any new manager starts to get this mess sorted. Assuming he ever does.

Well, that was a pleasant surprise, and we were well worth the win. That was the sort of performance I hoped we'd see this year; with our limited squad of players bridging the gap with sheer effort.

There should still be no pretence that we're a good side, and the dearth of presence up front and lack of composure in  midfield are both quite palpable. However, credit where it's due, and here's hoping they take confidence from that. The goalkeeper is an excellent addition and McLear, whilst not a striker, really bothered the Stirling back line yesterday. I like McMahon as well, and we definitely missed him when he went off injured, whilst Fisher is a stalwart who stuck around when he could easily have got a gig in a better side.

Here's hoping we're in for a relegation dogfight now. Given the last three months, that's something to look forward to and far better than crashing out of the league 30 ponts adrift 

14 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

You won't like this, but I fear we may have a fight on our hands just to get clear of the relegation zone.  We could be a long long way behind the top 4 before any new manager starts to get this mess sorted. Assuming he ever does.

You could be right or you could be wrong, whoever takes the job on will have a hard job on his hands to get us up the League and into a possible playoff spot. Not impossible I can recall Montrose having a poor start to the season and when they changed managers they went on a good run up the League. So with 28 games to go anything is possible if we get the right man in. :)

Yesterday was brutal and it was clear to see that it had to end there and then for Mackay and well done to the board for acting, rather than having another McLaren situation where it went on for weeks, months even.

I’ve said it time and time again, but I was never really convinced by Mackay but had lost total faith in him after the Edinburgh City game, I didn’t think we could get worse, but against Annan and Albion Rovers, you could see we did.

We were shambolic yesterday and our inadequeses were there for all to see, but don’t take anything away from Albion Rovers, they won the game by sheer effort, guts and determination, qualities that we lack.

It was actually sad seeing Ferrie cock up and give away the first goal, as I think he’s been doing really well for us but that aside, we lacked everything.

We still don’t look like a unit when we defend. Too many players go into tackles and don’t win the ball, as an example of that, just watch the 3rd Rovers goal. Cross balls also cause great panic, we’ve changed players time and time again yet this still remains a problem for us. The few times we were under pressure, we couldn’t clear the ball and it would come straight back to us.

Going forward, we had loads of the ball and created absolutely nothing. Sure, Morrison pulled off some decent saves but other than a Mark Stewart effort, none of them really looked like going in.

The summer signings have been shocking, and ultimately these are the lads that have cost Mackay his job. With the backgrounds they have, we should be expecting more than we are getting from Stewart and Marr and none of the youngsters look as though they can play at this level.

As the players trudged off, the Rovers fans were singing “you are even worse than us” and it was like a dagger going through me, but they were right. There was no fight, no passion, no heart, no creativity, no leadership, no chance of winning and if we’d stayed with Mackay we had no chance of promotion.

i asked the question last week, are we better than we were when McLaren went and the answer to that is clear, no, we are not. The squad again needs cleared out, and you’re only looking at keeping a handful of players.

I’m sure Mackay will be pissed off at being sacked, but i’m sure in time he will reflect and will see that his summer signing policy was the wrong way to go, he had a chance to really create something but his judgement cost him, which is sad, because like McLaren before him, Mackay came across well and looks like the type of guy you want to do well within the game.

Well done Albion Rovers, I hope you have a few more afternoons like that over the coming weeks.

Archived