Arbroath vs Airdrie

We weren’t impressive at Ochilview but battled for 3 points. I’d like to see Whately drop out with possibly McCord starting but don’t see Dick making a change like that. Denholm for Omar is another change I’d like to see. Hopefully keep our fantastic start to the season going and take more confidence into the Raith game at Starks

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David Hutton bound to have the game of his life here. Airdrie seemed to be quite well tipped pre-season, but was never that impressed with their business. I think Airdrie have been playing with a midfield 3 which might cause us problems seeing as Whatley is out of form. Kader will surely be dropped now.

David Hutton bound to have the game of his life here. Airdrie seemed to be quite well tipped pre-season, but was never that impressed with their business. I think Airdrie have been playing with a midfield 3 which might cause us problems seeing as Whatley is out of form. Kader will surely be dropped now.

4 wonder saves then he will misjudge a high ball, let it go through his hands, bounce off his centre half and gift us a 93rd minute winner. The David Hutton way

Sorry I should of mentioned I think and hope Denholm gets his over Kader too, 
Cant see him ever dropping Whatley to be honest 

Said it before, only way I think Denholm will get back to his best is by giving him a run of starts. He isn’t as effective defensively as Kader but there’s no chance he’d be as ineffective going forward. Also agree that there’s no chance of him dropping Whatley.

to me whatley is a 7out of 10 player most weeks sure not been at his best recently but he is team captain who the players trust and respect. lets reverse the argument hammy has been poor on a few occasions this season but not so much of a clamber to drop him . is it because we have no cover there just asking

to me whatley is a 7out of 10 player most weeks sure not been at his best recently but he is team captain who the players trust and respect. lets reverse the argument hammy has been poor on a few occasions this season but not so much of a clamber to drop him . is it because we have no cover there just asking

Hammy has been decent last few weeks but yea I’d say the reason he wasn’t dropped earlier was because of our lack of depth

Whatley is probably the best we have for legs and box to box in centre midfield so he’ll play. Also captain in a squad of very big personalities so must be doing something right or good for the side. Say it every week but Kader out Gold or Denholm in please.

totally agree 1320 you dont have to be the best player on the park to be team captain. its about leadership on and of the park as you say some big personalities in that squad the likes of linn swanks doris etc.dc obviously recognises these qualities in whately to keep him as captain.

If it was a new team personally i would have ricky little as captain but i agree with the comments on whately, technically not the most gifted but works very hard and always a 6/7 out of 10 every week and cant argue with the job he’s done as captain. One thing I’ve always found bizarre about him is that sheerin signed him as a “goalscoring midfielder” when he’s anything but

1 hour ago, afc_36_0 said:

One thing I’ve always found bizarre about him is that sheerin signed him as a “goalscoring midfielder” when he’s anything but

When you watch the game/ respective highlights and watch for Whatley's positioning it's actually very interesting. The perception is obviously that he is a defensive midfielder and Gav is our more attacking/ creative midfielder but in terms of positioning and pressing the opposite is true. Since the East Fife game where so much came right through the centre of the park, I've been paying a lot of attention to how the central midfield work and when it comes to pressing and positioning there are far more situations where Whatley is 15 yards further up the park than Gav. Whatley is always the midfielder who presses further forward than anyone bar the strikers. Also, when attacking, there appears to be far more occaisions where Whatley is in/ around the box and Gav is 40 yards from the goal in the defensive midfield position.

Surely the defensive midfielder in our midfield duo should be the one who is breaking things up in the centre of the park and plugging the gaps infront of the back 4, not the one who is pressing the ball all the time leaving space in behind and getting into/ around the box more than the other midfielder? I kind of feel that's the issue in there at the moment, I've lost count of the amount of times I feel Whatley is in Swankie's position and vice versa. In the last 3/4 weeks I feel the weak spot for us has been the centre of the park, as I've lost count of the amount of times the opposition have picked up the ball in the centre circle in 5/10 yards of space, or been breaking from the midfield running at our back 4 with the midfield being miles off them further up the park. It's impossible for any fans to say what's going on with this, as it could be that Dick has set it up like that and if that's the case Whatley is simply doing the job he has been instructed to do and really no-one can have a go at him for that at all.

Considering Whatley does more pressing up the park, positions himself further forward than Gav the majority of the time and ends up pushing into/ around the box more often than Gav does in some games I'd say it could be argued that Whatley is the 'attacking' midfielder in a sense and Gav has quite often played the more defensive role. Personally I'd have it the opposite way round, with Whatley in a defensive midfield role and Gav having more freedom further up the park.

Before anyone starts greetin', I'm not having a go at Mark Whatley. I'm not 'moaning'. It's not a case of 'there always has to be a scrapegoat' etc. It's simply my observations of how they work together as a partnership, and why I feel it has been a weak spot for us at times this year. Last year with 3 in the centre of the park, and the simply outstanding Scott Martin doing the defensive midfield job, none of this was an issue because he just mopped up anything coming through the middle of the park playing the defensive midfield role and never going anything more than 10 yards over the halfway line.

Noticed that too Simon, don’t think there’s anything wrong with Whatley doing that but maybe needs to use his napper a bit more on when to do it.

Pretty good thing to be pressing the other team high up the park but at the right times.

If he goes to kamikaze the ball gets past him and the other team brakes through the middle of the park with poor Gav (who’s probably sitting deeper cause he’s the one that gets his foot on the ball) left to pick up the pieces and either commit a foul or be left with no help.

East Fife away was the worst. Just needed to sit back a bit and let them have the ball in front of us instead of going mental and chasing it about like a dug. Mark the space and chill out. Let McKenna come back in and press.

20 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Our midfield 3 cause us problems so you should be fine. Hutton is one of few players to not put a foot wrong this season (Cue him having a howler on Saturday). 

Don't think it will be quite as bad as the corresponding fixture last season but will still be a comfortable home win. 

Agree with Simons points about the midfield, mark Whatley is the best we have at pressing and getting tight to opposition and stopping them trying to build and play so I see no need to change his game. He’s captain of a team that are 4 points clear and unbeaten, despite a potential weakness in the middle of the pitch nobody has worked us out so far and quite frankly Came remotely close to beating us so I wouldn’t quite make a change in there yet. Scott Martin would’ve helped or a scott Martin type would really solve all problems and make us look very strong. 

Only change I would make is bringing in Gold for Kader. This is a huge game for us, if we take 4 points out the next 2 games that would be an absolutely brilliant first quarter. 

Agree with Simons points about the midfield, mark Whatley is the best we have at pressing and getting tight to opposition and stopping them trying to build and play so I see no need to change his game. He’s captain of a team that are 4 points clear and unbeaten, despite a potential weakness in the middle of the pitch nobody has worked us out so far and quite frankly Came remotely close to beating us so I wouldn’t quite make a change in there yet. Scott Martin would’ve helped or a scott Martin type would really solve all problems and make us look very strong. 
Only change I would make is bringing in Gold for Kader. This is a huge game for us, if we take 4 points out the next 2 games that would be an absolutely brilliant first quarter. 

I thought Brechin got pretty close to beating us after our 2nd half collapse

Archived