What are you afraid of?

Nadroj

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

Heights. Anything above about 20 feet gives me the fear.

Whenever I've had to work at heights I've gritted my teeth and got on with it, and the fear goes away. A few weeks after stopping the work it comes back again. I shit myself crossing a bridge these days.

10 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Did you know you are born with only two fears - falling and loud noises? All the rest are figments of your imagination and can be cured by having a word with yourself. 

Great advice.

I had a fear of dying but just had a word with myself and now I’m immortal.  Sorted.

7 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Confined spaces. 

I was watching a tv programme about caving in the Yorkshire Dales the other day and the divers had to squeeze through a tiny gap called the cheese press. I was having palpitations just watching them.

caving-in-yorkshire-dales-1-768x267.jpg

33 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Confined spaces. 

Had to do an obstacle during basic training in the Navy. It was an old clay mine where the factory and chimney had been demolished but a 40 yard brick tunnel connecting the two remained. It was just wide enough to get your shoulders in and the same height, pitch black and the bottom lined with sharp stones. All you could do was hold onto the boot of the guy in front of you whilst the guy behind held onto yours. I was terrified at the thought of someone having a panic attack and stopping, meaning we'd all be stuck. 

Found a photo of the slag heaps from the quarry - 

6987278523_917f7b4007_b.thumb.jpg.9ebfb2470912fb57d87dabd1f98fc5f9.jpg

We had to run up and down those b*****d things before diving into the water - in December. First one in broke the ice. 

3 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Had to do an obstacle during basic training in the Navy. It was an old clay mine where the factory and chimney had been demolished but a 40 yard brick tunnel connecting the two remained. It was just wide enough to get your shoulders in and the same height, pitch black and the bottom lined with sharp stones. All you could do was hold onto the boot of the guy in front of you whilst the guy behind held onto yours. I was terrified at the thought of someone having a panic attack and stopping, meaning we'd all be stuck. 

Found a photo of the slag heaps from the quarry - 

6987278523_917f7b4007_b.thumb.jpg.9ebfb2470912fb57d87dabd1f98fc5f9.jpg

We had to run up and down those b*****d things before diving into the water - in December. First one in broke the ice. 

I'd be more frightened about the guy in front dropping his guts.

Whenever I've had to work at heights I've gritted my teeth and got on with it, and the fear goes away. A few weeks after stopping the work it comes back again. I shit myself crossing a bridge these days.
You know what it is you're really afraid of?

It's not heights. It's the fear that you might jump.

Archived