What are you afraid of?

Nadroj

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

You know what it is you're really afraid of?

It's not heights. It's the fear that you might jump.

Precisely. I can be behind a chest height barrier and panic that my legs might suddenly act of their own accord and pitch me over. Like a big nervous twitch.

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Being stuck in life

Not sure if it's quite what you mean, but I can handle most things with the knowledge at the back of my mind that I could always kill myself if things became unbearable. The idea of not having that escape would be terrifying.

Anyway, spiders, but I've managed to get over the worst of that. I'd no idea that I wasn't keen on very confined spaces until seeing The Descent in the cinema, and the idea of getting lodged in one of those crawlspaces in the pitch black wasn't pleasant at all. Probably because suicide would be either impossible, or deeply unpleasant (chewing open your own wrists, etc).

Anyone on here scared of birds? I worked with a guy years ago who was terrified of them; I thought he was kidding until we had lunch at an open-air cafe and threw my leftovers to the pigeons. He was up off his chair and ready to run. Met a surprising number of ornithophobes since then - apparently it's the flapping that sets them off.

Some folk are terrified of people in costumes too, especially costumes that obscure human features. I've had a couple of genuine freak-outs on my hands when folk have turned round and noticed me dressed up in a big cartoony foam outfit; tears, snotters, the lot. You have to cross the street to let them by, or they can't cope. Can't help but think there's some Gremlins-esque backstory to that phobia.

10 minutes ago, Rovers2017 said:

The thought of death, and that once you croak it then you literally have no existianal awareness, likely to be forgotten about by everyone in a few hundred years. 

Boo humbug. 

That terrified me when I was a teenager, but I find it a curiously relaxing thought now. None of this shit matters.

Also, I quite like the idea that all of my constituent parts will end up part of a dizzying number of other entities. The example always given is that we all have a little bit of Hitler in us. Some more than others, of course.

Precisely. I can be behind a chest height barrier and panic that my legs might suddenly act of their own accord and pitch me over. Like a big nervous twitch.
Me too. It got worse as I got older. One odd thing about it for me is that it's much worse on man-made structures than natural heights. I've never had a problem hillwalking. It's the certainty of death that triggers it; if I'm in a place where a jump would likely not end in worse than broken bones I'm ok. But somewhere with a sheer drop or high over water gives me the heebee jeebies.

I googled it and read a few things about the fear of jumping. Most of them made it worse, though one said that all it shows is your determination to live. I'll go with that.

8 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I have a very odd fear of dead animals,  can't look at them without getting a shiver up my spine. Can be any type of animal as well.

I can happily pick up live insects  including spiders and throw them outside if somebody screams about it. Dead ones freak me out, hoover's the only option and I get nervous emptying it. Dead mammals don't bother me, unless they're in a coffin. Just try not to think about the rotting corpse with make up plastered on inside.

Aliens.

Folk might remember a programme on the telly during 90s called Strange But True that was all about aliens, ghosts, etc.

I was about 6 or 7 when I used to watch it and the ghost stories never bothered me but the alien ones terrified me. Everytime a light came in my bedroom window I was convinced I was about to be abducted. The X-Files theme tune still puts the shiters up me.

10 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I have a very odd fear of dead animals,  can't look at them without getting a shiver up my spine. Can be any type of animal as well.

When I was a kid, one of our relatives was a forester, and had several different animal heads on the wall; stoat, stag, etc. I was vaguely unnerved by the idea that they might start moving when I walked past (a la Evil Dead 2, although I hadn't seen that then). Is that similar to your discomfort, or is it just the reminder of the suffocating finality of death?

(I feel somebody needs to post about their crippling fear of buttocks to lighten the mood)

13 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

I used have a fear of dying until I was 38. Then after that I had a fear of my son dying. Its getting better, but, I do come out in a cold sweat now and again.
Dogs. @iztdik I used be the same. You can train yourself to over come this fear to the extent that dogs fear you... pm me I have a free 15 minute explanation.

Do you have a fear of being smothered to death with a pillow by your son?

32 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

That terrified me when I was a teenager, but I find it a curiously relaxing thought now. None of this shit matters.

Also, I quite like the idea that all of my constituent parts will end up part of a dizzying number of other entities. The example always given is that we all have a little bit of Hitler in us. Some more than others, of course.

It's weird because this kind of thing has only started bothering me after my father passed away a couple of years ago. Have to agree with the part where none of this really matters. 

12 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
13 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:
Did you know you are born with only two fears - falling and loud noises? All the rest are figments of your imagination and can be cured by having a word with yourself. 

So the fear I feel every Saturday at 14:59 can simply be remedied using some sort of meditation or mindfulness?

Or changing your allegiance to Barcelona.

1 hour ago, Mr Pikey said:

Not scared of snakes ,clowns ,heights etc but f**k going on rollercoasters.Been on the big dipper at blackpool once after that naw , just naw. Would rather sit in a tub of snakes and beasties.

Im an absolute shitebag at the 'shows', I wont even get on the waltzers when I take my kids, I fail to see the appeal of going on some rusty metal contraption of any description that hurtles you through the air, backwards, upside down etc at 70 mph with only a rickety bar with a highly suspect, rusted bolt keeping you from being catapulted to an horrific death like in Final Destination 3, f**k that.

I genuinely dont know if I could go on living were one of my children to die in my lifetime, that has to be the most galling fear of any parent, im also lucky enough that both my parents are still living, albeit in their 70's now, im not naive and know they wont be around forever but i'll be devastated when the day comes that I lose one then the other, also the fact they have been together nearly 60 years with hardly a day spent apart I know that when one goes the other will be utterly broken and lost...

Typing that last paragraph has really cheered me up no end.....on a more lighter but equally scary for me note, most/all animals and creepy crawlies im fine with, including spiders etc but rats, they put the absolute fucking fear into me, even the sight of one induces a high pitch, terrified squeal from me, I turn into a panic stricken wreck at a fleeting glimpse of one, im sure it stems from an early, hazy, childhood memory of seeing at a pals house, a scene from the film, I think it was called Room 101 where a guy is tortured by a cage being put over his head with two live rats which eat his eyeballs and face etc...that has traumatised me to this day and I genuinely am shit scared terrified of the fuckers.

5 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

Heights. Anything above about 20 feet gives me the fear.

I'm okay with heights where I'm involved. What scares the shit out of me is heights with other people. That Blue Peter clip with John Noakes climbing Nelson's Column makes me feel faint.

That, and losing my sight.

19 hours ago, GordonS said:

Climate change

Air pollution

Soil erosion

The inexorable, steady decline of the country in which I live, as evidenced by the crumbling of its physical infrastructure

The renaissance of racism

Not having enough money for a happy retirement

The standard of education and discipline in my kids' schools

The cascade of vacuous, unsettling shit that's pouring into the lives of young people in much of the developed world, causing unprecedented mental health problems

Standing at my retirement do at work in approximately 24 years' time, giving a crap speech to a crowd mostly comprised of colleagues whose names I'll happily forget within months, who are wanting me to hurry up so they can get a mini sausage roll and get back to their desk as they're wanting to knock off early tonight, while I wonder where the years went and how I achieved so little

Pit bulls

Needles.

You,re no taking this seriously are you:lol:

Archived