West Fixtures

TFW

14 hours ago, bc57 said:

3 away games in December.  Not so good particularly as our pitch tends to be off less often than some during the winter months.  Can't be helped. The upside is the clarity of knowing who we will be playing and where.

5 fixtures in December. 2 home, 3 away.  All good.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incredibly frustrating as a player... I had 10 (TEN) days rest this summer.

Was looking forward to having a bit of time off at Christmas now we have a fixture scheduled for the 22nd and the 29th. Ridiculous. 

Now as a football fan myself, I can 100% appreciate that these Christmas fixtures are great for punters and something to look forward to, as a player it's not great at all!

According to rules, I'm led to believe that players can only be paid for 40weeks of the year, (I may be wrong) 

Are the SJFA going to subside the other 11weeks that I have been working? What other organisation would ask their members to carry out unpaid work for 11weeks of the year?

BTW... I'd rather not be paid and had some quality time off with my young family, felt the need to raise the point. 

Try and ask the numerous committee members who go the full year without a bawbee. The ones who will be working the gates, selling the raffles, the people who give up their time to edit programmes, websites, the folk who have to clean dressing rooms, take down nets, cut grass, the list is endless.  Next time you try and negotiate a contract then maybe get Troon to put a clause into it stating that your unable to turn up for games during the Christmas period, I'm sure they will be delighted to accomodate you.

20 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

Try and ask the numerous committee members who go the full year without a bawbee. The ones who will be working the gates, selling the raffles, the people who give up their time to edit programmes, websites, the folk who have to clean dressing rooms, take down nets, cut grass, the list is endless.  Next time you try and negotiate a contract then maybe get Troon to put a clause into it stating that your unable to turn up for games during the Christmas period, I'm sure they will be delighted to accomodate you.

Take my hat off the people who give up their time and efforts for nothing other than a pat on the back, unfortunately I'm not in a position I'm able to do that.

As expected, people missing the point here, the 22nd is fair enough but games on the 29th is poor.

I make no apologies for giving an insight as to how players feel and accept not everyone views it the same way. 

1 hour ago, dmkeenan85 said:

Was looking forward to having a bit of time off at Christmas now we have a fixture scheduled for the 22nd and the 29th. Ridiculous. 

With 6 or 8 extra league games to be played they've got to fit in somewhere - presumably you want to increase the number of rest days in the summer?

Every senior league in Scotland has games scheduled for 29th December, don't see why the juniors shouldn't.

Incredibly frustrating as a player... I had 10 (TEN) days rest this summer.
Now as a football fan myself, I can 100% appreciate that these Christmas fixtures are great for punters and something to look forward to, as a player it's not great at all!
 According to rules, I'm led to believe that players can only be paid for 40weeks of the year, (I may be wrong) 
Are the SJFA going to subside the other 11weeks that I have been working? What other organisation would ask their members to carry out unpaid work for 11weeks of the year?
BTW... I'd rather not be paid and had some quality time off with my young family, felt the need to raise the point. 
Nobody forces you to play junior , do you hand back your wages when a match gets postponed?
Club's need income , bills players need paying, I only get public holidays over Christmas,
No reason not to play on these days, UNPAID committee members will be doing a he'll of a lot more than playing 90 mins of football,,,,,,

10 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

With 6 or 8 extra league games to be played they've got to fit in somewhere - presumably you want to increase the number of rest days in the summer?

Every senior league in Scotland has games scheduled for 29th December, don't see why the juniors shouldn't.

Every senior league in Scotland has 6more fixtures to fit in. 

As I mentioned earlier, everyone will have their own opinion on this topic, I'm just offering my view,

I think the professionalism that Kennie has brought to his role deserves huge credit, I just don't agree with christmas fixtures, in particular, on the 29th.

1 minute ago, dmkeenan85 said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I was talking about compared to last season, as the top divisions in the west have increased in size to 16 teams from 12 and 14. 

9 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I was talking about compared to last season, as the top divisions in the west have increased in size to 16 teams from 12 and 14. 

You were clear, 

I was referring to your point about the senior clubs having fixtures. 

As I mentioned earlier, everyone will have their own opinion on this topic, I'm just offering my view,

I think the professionalism that Kennie has brought to his role deserves huge credit, I just don't agree with christmas fixtures, in particular, on the 29th.

The 29th is well past Christmas, and most people can't wait to get out the house.

You were clear, 

I was referring to your point about the senior clubs having fixtures. 

Oh right. Well yes the SPFL has 6/8 extra games, but the senior Lowland (30), South (30), and East (24) leagues are comparable to the juniors and they have fixtures. Need to wait and see if the east or north juniors have fixtures with their smaller leagues.

41 minutes ago, glensmad said:

The 29th is well past Christmas, and most people can't wait to get out the house.

I take that point mate, thinks its became clear I'm being pretty selfish haha, for 10years I gave up everything at Christmas time to be a professional footballer, since joining the juniors I've absolutely loved the fact we have Christmas off, as a said, spending quality time with my young family.

I understand completely point of view as a fan, fixture when off work over Christmas must be great, it is what it is. 

Archived