Heart of Midlothian v St Johnstone - 29th September 2018

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too sure about the personnel, but it's interesting to see us go with a more positive set-up against the Premiership's in-form team. Can't help but feel that Tommy's been too focused on the names 'Rangers' and 'Celtic' rather than the current quality of their respective teams.

I never commented on the Celtic match, so I will now. We looked a lot more disciplined than the Rangers match and there were a few positives, but I can't help but feel that we showed a real lack of attacking ambition. Somewhat surprised by the satisfied verdicts. This is a Celtic team who had just got beaten by Kilmarnock and who also failed to beat St. Mirren after being bossed in the first-half. Did people not watch that match? They were bossed by St. Mirren.

St. Mirren.

Saints have been embarrassingly poor. We have given hearts the ball back at every single opportunity.

Hearts have been efficient and really should be more ahead. 

I think Zander might be about the only saints player to get pass marks. Alston and Callaghan work away but neither has any ability to control and pass a ball at this level.

The only positive is that it’s only 1-0.

Massive turnaround in attitude and quality required.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that the game could have ended 4-4 or should have at least. Not saying we deserved anything, but if we take our chances I suspect that we do take at least a point. Haring is a class player for sure and Olly Lee looks good next to him.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that the game could have ended 4-4 or should have at least. Not saying we deserved anything, but if we take our chances I suspect that we do take at least a point. Haring is a class player for sure and Olly Lee looks good next to him.

According to the BBC match stats if both teams took all their chances it would be 32-12 to Hearts

We were second best by a mile. A late flurry doesn’t hide the fact that hearts should have been out of sight.

We are as soft as shite. Every time we looked to get any play going hearts would happily concede a foul. Naismith and MacLean were never going to win many headers but they backed in and made it awkward all game. Even when Zander looked to play out early they’d get in his way and block him. From our point of view I think we barely committed a foul or got stuck in the whole match, at least until the last 20 minutes.

We were utterly pish on the ball, didn’t string any passes together until 2-0 down.

As easy a win for hearts as they’ll get all season.

11 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

According to the BBC match stats if both teams took all their chances it would be 32-12 to Hearts

22 - 9 shots according to my screen.

That’s an awful attempt at trolling and you know that. In fact you’re better than that. [emoji23]

We were second best by a mile. A late flurry doesn’t hide the fact that hearts should have been out of sight.
We are as soft as shite. Every time we looked to get any play going hearts would happily concede a foul. Naismith and MacLean were never going to win many headers but they backed in and made it awkward all game. Even when Zander looked to play out early they’d get in his way and block him. From our point of view I think we barely committed a foul or got stuck in the whole match, at least until the last 20 minutes.
We were utterly pish on the ball, didn’t string any passes together until 2-0 down.
As easy a win for hearts as they’ll get all season.

Interestingly I disagree. I actually thought we were alright today and cause Hearts problems. I agree we didn’t pick up enough second balls over the course of the game, but if we’d started with Watt and Swanson we’d have made more of a game of it. Watt, Wright and I’d argue McMillans header should all have hit the target and probably gone in. Swanson should have done more with his chance too. Time is running out for Kennedy, he was awful again today. As was Kane for the most part. We’re still missing a midfielder, or I’d even argue Murray today, someone to win the ball back and move forward with it. Alston was good, but was let down by Callachan, who despite scoring wanted too long on the ball and got caught on it time and time again. Hearts are clever the way their shape changes from flat back four in defence to a 3 and Haring in attack, the two strikers is the way forward, but Kane’s energy was non-existent and therefore the press was poor.

I’m not worried about the game, we’re not gonna be near the bottom, on another day we score 3/4. Yes Hearts also had chances, but it took two set pieces for them to make the break through. Watt and Swanson fit and playing will win us points for sure.

One last thing. Hearts scored both goals from corners, because they simply put the ball in the box and contested them. Not once did we do that, it was played short time and time again. Pointless actions which wasted goal scoring chances. If anything that’s what I’m most disappointed about.

Archived