The Vaughan Derby: Sons v Raith

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Aitken quite rightly hounded off at half time. Head down. He knows he's done.

Here's the stats for the single worst 1st half of football we've ever produced in my lifetime.20180929_154420.jpg

I'm struggling to remember when Dumbarton even got close enough to have a shot off target. And the majority of that 42% possession was probably McGowan retrieving the balls which didn't settle in the onion bag.

God's turban and tutu. I need a dair of the hog.

To prolong my agony I dreamt overnight that I was still at the game, had lost count of Raith's goals, and was told it was 1-12. I didn't even consider it a nightmare.

After that start yesterday I saw no hope, but slowly optimism started to creep in. 0-2 at 30 minutes? I thought if we could keep it to that until half-time there would be a wind-assisted chance. Well, that idea soon disappeared.

Pass marks to Beanie and Gallagher - I'm surprised the latter didn't run to SA after scoring (with his first touch) having been kept out of the side by Loy.

Anyone else disappointed recently with Aitchison? Or is it simply Aitken's tactics that are shackling the lad's ability?

4 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

To prolong my agony I dreamt overnight that I was still at the game, had lost count of Raith's goals, and was told it was 1-12. I didn't even consider it a nightmare.

After that start yesterday I saw no hope, but slowly optimism started to creep in. 0-2 at 30 minutes? I thought if we could keep it to that until half-time there would be a wind-assisted chance. Well, that idea soon disappeared.

Pass marks to Beanie and Gallagher - I'm surprised the latter didn't run to SA after scoring (with his first touch) having been kept out of the side by Loy.

Anyone else disappointed recently with Aitchison? Or is it simply Aitken's tactics that are shackling the lad's ability?

If your experiencing lucid dreams it may be worth thinking about 'StopTober' :P

Main thing that struck me yesterday was how hard everyone worked, especially when we didn't have the ball. 

However some of our passing was an absolute joy to be honest, regardless of how God awful Dumbarton were.  

18 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

Aitchison has done pretty much nothing since arriving, but I don't blame him at all. 

Kevin Nisbet did nothing with us and he tore us to shreds yesterday. It looked like Raith played to his strengths and that boosted his confidence.

The only strikers who will play well for us are guys who will win a decent amount in the air, chase endless lost causes and be prepared not to see the ball for huge chunks of the game.

Calum Gallagher. Robert Thomson. First year Christian Nadé and first year of Stevie Garry Fleming basically.

13 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

If Aitken isn't in the job at midnight tonight I'll go through October without a drink. [Searches 'Good Beer Guide' for real-ale pubs in Stranraer.]

Main thing that struck me yesterday was how hard everyone worked, especially when we didn't have the ball. 
However some of our passing was an absolute joy to be honest, regardless of how God awful Dumbarton were.  

Seriously, this isn't sour grapes or anything of the sort, but even our passing would look brisk, sharp and accurate if your players stood around like statues.

After all the gnashing of teeth from the sons......we were terrific yesterday also with a depleted squad .....think we might have given anybody in this league a doing.....

I agree, I don’t think a single Dumbarton player would’ve got in the Raith team based on yesterday’s game. Raith s Benedictus, the other cb, wedderburn, Vaughan and Nisbet were streets ahead of us. Raith looked like they’d been doing passing and moving drills all week. Well played

3 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

I agree, I don’t think a single Dumbarton player would’ve got in the Raith team based on yesterday’s game. Raith s Benedictus, the other cb, wedderburn, Vaughan and Nisbet were streets ahead of us. Raith looked like they’d been doing passing and moving drills all week. Well played

The hope is that Mcglynn will give us the edge being full time by exactly that, several of our goals were straight from the training ground. 

There’s no words that can explain how good we were in the first half yesterday. It was an absolute joy to behold! Can only remember one or two long balls in the first half and the rest of the time we played the ball on the deck the full half and we were outstanding. Didn’t let Dumbarton settle in to the game and were right at the from the word go. Utterly tremendous from front to back! Bene was outstanding as was hendry and Flanagan but everyone had a good game! Felt the save from Thomson was absolute crucial as had that went in I think Dumbarton May have gotten a lift and came onto us a bit more. Second half was just seeing there game out more than anything. I think a change in formation from Dumbarton stifled our passing it outfrom the back but we did what was needed. All in all what a tremendous performance.

I think the influence of McGlynn can be seen most through Davidson. His work rate was unbelievable and night and day between every time I’ve seen him play this season. Although saying that everyone had great work rate. I hope this carries on and McGlynn can keep this up as the feel good factor is well and truly back at the rovers!

Big shout out to the travelling supporters. That’s the best atmosphere I’ve been involved in, the fans were outstanding and sang before, the whole way through the the game and supporting the team even through a relatively boring second half. COYR

I saw a few comments from folk saying it was ff who were starting all the singing yesterday.It wasn't just us as there were plenty other rovers fans doing that and making up some brilliant new john mcglynn songs which was great to hear.We are all raith rovers and long may the atmosphere continue home and away from now on.Regarding the game we were brilliant yesterday and hardly gave Dumbarton a sniff while playing some great football.John mcglynn and smudger have got a decent squad there and playing players in their right positions will certainly help us.Super john mcglynn :thumsup2

22 hours ago, Silverton End said:

He's still there so normal service will be resumed in just under three hours. :cheers

At least it means you'll not be getting a doin' from several very angry publicans on the verge of bankruptcy. :thumsup2

12 hours ago, BIGQ FAE KDY said:

I saw a few comments from folk saying it was ff who were starting all the singing yesterday.It wasn't just us as there were plenty other rovers fans doing that and making up some brilliant new john mcglynn songs which was great to hear.We are all raith rovers and long may the atmosphere continue home and away from now on.Regarding the game we were brilliant yesterday and hardly gave Dumbarton a sniff while playing some great football.John mcglynn and smudger have got a decent squad there and playing players in their right positions will certainly help us.Super john mcglynn :thumsup2

:lol: Just reminded me of Renton patiently listening for the first whistle, and as soon as it went he's roaring "Change it McGlynnnnnnnn"

58 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

He's still there so normal service will be resumed in just under three hours. :cheers

At least it means you'll not be getting a doin' from several very angry publicans on the verge of bankruptcy. :thumsup2

Stair Park here we come

On 9/30/2018 at 08:55, Ross Forbes said:

I think the highlights actually make us look even worse.

The defending for Flannagan's second goal looks like something from a sitcom.

The Sons' defending in those highlights is quite incredibly bad. It's simply inexcusable. 

Aitken would be justified in feeling entirely let down by some of the charlatans in his playing staff.

Archived