The Vaughan Derby: Sons v Raith

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The players train for 4-6 hours with us a week, I genuinely doubt we're doing so much in that time that the players are fucked.

A depressing read that injury list, which just doesn't seem to be getting any better. Hard to be enthusiastic about picking up points tomorrow.

So are we just unlucky?

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

We seem to be beset with injuries for this game yet again.likely 11

Mcgowan

THOMSON                ALLARDICE                      DOWIE           DYER

FORBES                       HUTTON                           KERR                  BARR

AITCHISON                              LOY

SUBS. RUSSELL, GALLAGHER  LOAN KEEPER

Not sure if the positions are exactly accurate but you get the idea.If Adam doesnt make it, i'd expect a trialist keeper to come in.Would be great to see Mcgowan in action in a competitive game.Either way though i see a Raith win.John Mcglynn is a huge boost to the club IMO.      

Kerr?

That injury list is vile, but I'm pleased that McGowan will probably be getting a chance. Great opportunity for him - especially behind a makeshift back four. Suspect we might see Little get a bit of game time too, even if he isn't 100%. 

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

We seem to be beset with injuries for this game yet again.likely 11

Mcgowan

FORBES                       HUTTON                           KERR                  BARR

LOY

AITCHISON

Sorted!

2 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Mcgowan

AITCHISON                              LOY

SUBS. RUSSELL, GALLAGHER  LOAN KEEPER

Kerr = Spencer? Shirley......

What's happened to Cammy Ballantyne? Seems to have missed a fair chunk of the season so far from what I've seen.  

Looking forward to tomorrow.  Even if your right wing is pretty weak, we'll likely have either Euan Murray or Jamie Watson at right back. Murray picked up a knock a few weeks ago and it's unclear if he's the one McGlynn referred to in his interview. If not, then Watson has potential but he's still very raw so Bobby Barr could well cause him a lot of problems. As I mentioned earlier though, Vaughan's trickery on the right could cause a lot of problems for you given that Forbes and Thomson have never been renowned for their mobility.

It'll be interesting to see how we line up. Our defence looked solid against Forfar (ironically, at our most makeshift), but aside from that every other week we've looked poor with Davo and Benedictus struggling.  Crane should go right into the starting 11, as should Hendry in midfield. Wouldn't surprise me if we end up with Wedderburn back in the middle too with Matthews and Gillespie out. 

6 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

What's happened to Cammy Ballantyne? Seems to have missed a fair chunk of the season so far from what I've seen.  

I think it's a thigh problem. He limped off against Cumbernauld Colts back in early July and didn't return until the start of the league season...where he also limped off. Came back into the team for the Montrose Challenge Cup game and played well, and then put in another two really good showings in the next two games before this setback.

It's a shame because, based on the very small amount I've seen, he looks a tremendous player. Absolutely loves a slide tackle too.

Right-back has been a serious issue for us this season. Off the top of my head Ballantyne, Perry, Andy Little, Stuart Carswell (iirc), Brad Spencer and Ryan Thomson have all filled in there so far - which is pretty crazy considering we're only 13 games into the season!

Thomson isn't the worst option though. He did absolutely fine there against Arbroath and Bobby Linn.

12 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Thomson isn't the worst option though. He did absolutely fine there against Arbroath and Bobby Linn.

Fair play to Thomson. Linn is in the form of his career at the moment so it's probably going to be the toughest opponent he'll face on the wing. Thomson seems like he'd fit in fine defensively at this level. From what I've seen, you can fire a defensive midfielder into defence and generally they'll manage fine at this season. We played Scott Robertson at the back for about half a dozen games last season and by the end of it he didn't look out of place at all. If anything our problems came about when we got more options for our back line, and we dropped Dave McKay. 

Shame about Ballantyne as he seems an excellent prospect as you say. 

Just now, Broken Algorithms said:

Fair play to Thomson. Linn is in the form of his career at the moment so it's probably going to be the toughest opponent he'll face on the wing. Thomson seems like he'd fit in fine defensively at this level. From what I've seen, you can fire a defensive midfielder into defence and generally they'll manage fine at this season. We played Scott Robertson at the back for about half a dozen games last season and by the end of it he didn't look out of place at all. If anything our problems came about when we got more options for our back line, and we dropped Dave McKay. 

Shame about Ballantyne as he seems an excellent prospect as you say. 

I mean Linn still cut inside and scored past him, but having seen a certain former Rover torn to shreds by Lewis Moore the previous week I had the fear he'd have a field day.

Left-back is the position that really worries me. If Willie Dyer picks up an injury or suspension then we have nobody else who can play there. I think Ross Forbes is our only other left footed player.

He appears to be made of the paper hanky type material Moonster was referring to a few posts back. I really miss guys like Garry Fleming and Mark Docherty who would've laughed in the face of such niggles.

Left-back is the position that really worries me. If Willie Dyer picks up an injury or suspension then we have nobody else who can play there. I think Ross Forbes is our only other left footed player.

Even with Willie Dyer uninjured the left back position worries me.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He appears to be made of the paper hanky type material Moonster was referring to a few posts back. I really miss guys like Garry Fleming and Mark Docherty who would've laughed in the face of such niggles.

Even with Willie Dyer uninjured the left back position worries me.

But if we look at the first 11 only RT at RB is out of position.So although we have no strength in depth, that is no excuse for playing negative shite.So honestly i wont accept injuries as an excuse for a negative approach.

The utter state of that injury list. What the f**k have we been doing to the players the last 2 seasons?

The worst part about it is that it will be used as the excuse to keep the manager in a job if we continue to under perform.

In my opinion the injury list is at least partly Stevie’s fault. Most players were clearly not fit enough after preseason and when you are not at peak fitness it is much easier to pick up injuries. He can’t do much about those who turned up injured to preseason apart from a stricter medical, or any medical at all.

9 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

sorry mate nothing so cryptic, just going senile.I was chatting to a mate called Brad Kerr....well you can see my onset of dementia.I did mean Spencer yes.

We're both senile supporters, faithful through and through.  Over and over we will follow...................who?

6 hours ago, Cheeko Green said:

In my opinion the injury list is at least partly Stevie’s fault. Most players were clearly not fit enough after preseason and when you are not at peak fitness it is much easier to pick up injuries. He can’t do much about those who turned up injured to preseason apart from a stricter medical, or any medical at all.

That's quite possibly true, but I think the points above about the players being made of paper is probably closer to the truth.

We signed quite a few players with injury plagued histories. Andy Little has barely played any football in about five seasons, with Stirling Albion fans saying he looked good when he played - which was about once every month. Ross Perry is similar, he got a really bad injury a few years ago, but throughout his career has been plagued with little niggles, Paton, Forbes, Loy and Mango have all had fitness issues too.

It's worth taking a risk on a quality injury prone player (Craig Barr for example, who was excellent last year) or two, but when you've got a small squad that relies on them then you're asking for trouble.

Fwiw though I also think Stevie has had some absolutely rotten luck. For any club to go into games every week with about four guaranteed starters (Mango, Paton, Carsy and Ballantyne this week) out is hugely unlucky.

Archived