Dundee United v Ross County 29/09/2018

Biggest game of the season so far.  A win here and I would start believing that we could do something this year.

I would go for a conventional 4-4-2

Rakovan

Robson, Frans, Bouhenna, ?

McMullan, Rabitsch, Fyvie, Aird (assumes Stanton still out)

Clark, Safranko

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really hoping that Fyvie is back for this one and based on yesterday I wouldn't be against keeping the same shape but having Bouhenna and Fyvie as the sitting midfielders. I pray that Laszlo just gets back to having a team play a normal formation with simple ideas. Yesterday, against a terrible Falkirk team it has to be said, it looked like players were actually just playing a normal role instead of moving around and swapping every few minutes. 

5 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Really hoping that Fyvie is back for this one and based on yesterday I wouldn't be against keeping the same shape but having Bouhenna and Fyvie as the sitting midfielders. I pray that Laszlo just gets back to having a team play a normal formation with simple ideas. Yesterday, against a terrible Falkirk team it has to be said, it looked like players were actually just playing a normal role instead of moving around and swapping every few minutes. 

Loemba was all over the place (metaphorically and literally) but not as much as in other games.  I would suggest that Curran was often out of position but I’m not sure what position he was meant to be in and I don’t think he was either.

We can’t play Aird in a defensive role against County; the guy is not defensive minded.  That is not a criticism of the player, he is really trying to adapt to the position, but the longer the game went on yesterday the more he was exposed.

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Loemba was all over the place (metaphorically and literally) but not as much as in other games.  I would suggest that Curran was often out of position but I’m not sure what position he was meant to be in and I don’t think he was either.

We can’t play Aird in a defensive role against County; the guy is not defensive minded.  That is not a criticism of the player, he is really trying to adapt to the position, but the longer the game went on yesterday the more he was exposed.

I thought Loemba was much more in control of his possession play yesterday, he often beat his man but was guilty of then trying to beat players more than once. He is definitely a threat but still needs to be more consistent. I don't particularly rate Curran and he was sitting in behind Safranko yesterday (or he was meant to be). I'd be okay with McMullan, King and Loemba in behind Safranko but if Clark is fit then I'd hope we would go with two strikers. 

Not that I am particularly keen for Murdoch to return but I'm not sure what the story is with him given the club haven't provided much of an update. If Laszlo was willing to give Wardrop a start then maybe Aird, McMullan and Loemba as the three in behind would be okay but I get the impression Wardrop isn't the player we thought he was when we signed him and that Laszlo isn't keen on him.

9 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I thought Loemba was much more in control of his possession play yesterday, he often beat his man but was guilty of then trying to beat players more than once. He is definitely a threat but still needs to be more consistent. I don't particularly rate Curran and he was sitting in behind Safranko yesterday (or he was meant to be). I'd be okay with McMullan, King and Loemba in behind Safranko but if Clark is fit then I'd hope we would go with two strikers. 

Not that I am particularly keen for Murdoch to return but I'm not sure what the story is with him given the club haven't provided much of an update. If Laszlo was willing to give Wardrop a start then maybe Aird, McMullan and Loemba as the three in behind would be okay but I get the impression Wardrop isn't the player we thought he was when we signed him and that Laszlo isn't keen on him.

I’d drop Loemba ahead of McMullan and Aird and only play him in a 4-2-3-1 if Clark was unavailable.  Otherwise a 4-4-2, not 4-4-1-1.

If Laszlo insists on keeping a five at the back I’d play Murdoch RWB and push Aird up; if he insists on playing Loemba then I’d drop Aird.  Not against most teams but against County.

If we play a XI where we play our best players in the right positions we will walk it. We don’t seem to be doing that though. 4-5-1 must be the way. Let’s us play 3 CMs, reduces the number of shit strikers on the park and let’s us play Mullin and Midge. It’s the formation that we’ve looked best with so far so don’t know how we aren’t sticking with it

Have to agree with mark. 4-5-1 playing best players in best positions will work.

Vigurs and mullin are must starts. I’d swap kelly for Stelious as I just don’t rate kelly, he can be okay but that’s it. I’d have the 3 experienced middle men pulling the strings and bringing on the young Cms as fresh legs after 60 odd mins like Lindsay (Paton would of been useful to have kept for this). Anyway I’d go for

Fox

Fraser (if fit)

Morris

Fonts

Demitriou

Mullin

Draper

Cowie

Vigurs

Midge

Graham

I think I'd go

Fox

Fraser Morris Fonts Stelios

Draper

Mullin Vigurs Linsday Midge

McManus

21 hours ago, MarkPockets said:

If we play a XI where we play our best players in the right positions we will walk it. We don’t seem to be doing that though. 4-5-1 must be the way. Let’s us play 3 CMs, reduces the number of shit strikers on the park and let’s us play Mullin and Midge. It’s the formation that we’ve looked best with so far so don’t know how we aren’t sticking with it

For posterity.

On 23/09/2018 at 15:20, MarkPockets said:

If we play our best XI in the right position I think it would be a tough game with neither side walking it.

Sadly we’re playing a wide attacking player who is also a goal threat as a wing-back and a guy who flatters to deceive ahead of him as an attacking option.

The formation/personnel in my opening post, with the addition of a fit Stanton, would be a match for anyone in this league.

I reckon we'll change formation, make a number of changes to the first XI (likely 2 or 3), struggle to get in behind and really threaten the opposition, and end up either drawing or losing in a low-scoring game.

Substitute "winning" for "losing" if the opposition is fighting relegation and I think that sums up our season so far in the league (apart from Dunfermline away, a game in which we scored 3 of our 7 league goals so far).

Could really do with a settled balanced team, which should be achievable with fewer injuries in defence (mainly at rightback) and some ruthless decisions made on who to leave out of our reputation>form players.
Pretty confident that would see an upturn in results.
Been looking pretty  mid-table so far (9 points from 9 against the bottom 3,  2 points from 9 against better-placed teams).

It is strange that for all our turgid football, only the Dobbie-assisted Queen of the South have scored more league goals than United. With that in mind, I think we'll lose 1-0. But if we win, I might start thinking we have a shot of winning this bloody league, and nobody wants that.

Archived