Morton v Ayr

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully we go back to our 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation on Saturday.

Scully

Tumilty.    Kilday.   Buchanan.   McKeown

Millar.        Tidser.       McAlister

McLean.      Johnston.    Oliver

If Millar isn't fit them telfer should start.

55 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Hopefully we go back to our 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation on Saturday.

Scully

Tumilty.    Kilday.   Buchanan.   McKeown

Millar.        Tidser.       McAlister

McLean.      Johnston.    Oliver

If Millar isn't fit them telfer should start.

Yep, that's what I'd go with. I'm not a huge fan of Oliver in that wide role, and tbh, I can barely remember the last time I felt he played well, but he's probably the best option out there right now. Wouldn't mind trying to get in a wide player on loan till January in the next few weeks if that position continues to be an issue. 

You're not allowed loans outside the window now, so we have to make do with what we've got until January.

Oliver has really struggled in the role, McHugh isn't good enough to start there or anywhere else, Iredale was decent there against Ross County but has never played that far forward before and we don't know how bad his injury is, the only change to Tiffoney's game compared to last season from the starting point of not being good enough in possession has been to stop trying defensively.

When Iredale's fit I think the most sensible choice is persisting with him, otherwise it's tossing a coin between Oliver and Telfer our of position - although going with Telfer would leave us with nothing on bench to change the central midfield and if any of the starting midfield three are out it's obviously not possible.

50 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

although going with Telfer would leave us with nothing on bench to change the central midfield and if any of the starting midfield three are out it's obviously not possible.

Well we could always bring Iredale/Oliver on and bring Telfer back in the middle

Or not release Murdoch :(

Oliver has been struggling for a wee while now. I was keen to keep him in the summer, but said he really needs to start producing this season if he is ever going to deliver on his potential. A couple of times when he has come off the bench he has contributed nothing, apart from managing to divert a fucking goalbound shot over the bar on Saturday. He is another player who is incredibly lazy and contributes nothing defensively.

He needs a reality check and I'm hoping that Johannson and Houston do that. I think Uncle Jim was more fond of an arm round the shoulder when I think he needs, in the words of Mrs Doyle, a good ol' hard kick up the arse.

On 23/09/2018 at 16:44, Hursty said:

I'm planning the train to Gourock for a few pints option this week. Believe it or not I met my wife at Cappielow at a cup game back in 2005 and i'm in Greenock / Gourock at least once a month, but think this will only be the 3rd time back at a Morton v Ayr game in the 13 years since! 

Make sure to go to the Cardwell. Gourock isn't the cheapest but the measures in there are the best around!

(That is if its open again after part of the roof came down)

33 minutes ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

Oliver has been struggling for a wee while now. I was keen to keep him in the summer, but said he really needs to start producing this season if he is ever going to deliver on his potential. A couple of times when he has come off the bench he has contributed nothing, apart from managing to divert a fucking goalbound shot over the bar on Saturday. He is another player who is incredibly lazy and contributes nothing defensively.

He needs a reality check and I'm hoping that Johannson and Houston do that. I think Uncle Jim was more fond of an arm round the shoulder when I think he needs, in the words of Mrs Doyle, a good ol' hard kick up the arse.

Think that's harsh on Oliver.

He has hardly had a sniff this season in the league apart from a few sub appearances and the formation McKinnon played didn't really suit his game.( Hence why he wasn't starting) He is best at playing off a striker in the hole and we simply haven't seen that formation this season.  He was good under Duffy because we played 4411 every week.

As for Sat, I'd like to see;

Scully.

Kilday Waddell Buchanan

Tumility                                       McKeown

Millar McAlister  Tidser.

Johnstone Maclean.

With our lack of wide options, the fact that we have 2 full backs who like to get forward and the need to have Tidser in a midfield 3 to get the best out of him,  think that is the best formation at our disposal. Waddell by all accounts is a very good centre half but hasn't really had a chance due to injury and the other 2 doing well so 3 solid centre backs could suit us too. Up top, you could have either Maclean, Oliver or McHugh beside Denny but for me MacLean has impressed this season and would be a good partner for Denny with his pace and energy!

Just hope we don't see 442 as we don't have the players for it.

Think the Rangers game could have an affect on Ayr and hopefully we start strong and take the game to them. Shankland bound to score but fancy big Denny to get off the mark and score a double. 2-1.

In hospitality on Sat, looking forward to it!

35 minutes ago, KabbaCharming said:

Make sure to go to the Cardwell. Gourock isn't the cheapest but the measures in there are the best around!

It was open again the day after the roof came off. Chucked a tarpaulin over it and carried on as normal :lol:

As for Oliver, I don't think his attitude is a problem, it's not like he stands still watching opponents sail by him to score without a care in the world the way Tiffoney does. I just don't think he's good enough out wide.

He's maybe the one player in the squad who'd be more comfortable in a 4-4-1-1/4-4-2, but when you have a choice between playing a system that wastes Gary Oliver or playing a system that wastes Chris Millar and Michael Tidser, Oliver unavoidably has to lose out.

You could make an argument that Johnstone would suit having Oliver with him through the middle as well, but I still think he'll come good when we're back to a 4-3-3 without McHugh beside him.

3 hours ago, KabbaCharming said:

Big measures yeah, but it's still a dump.

And aye, I think some of the comments re Oliver are a big harsh, he certainly ain't lazy but I don't think he's a good fit in the team at the mo.

2 hours ago, Honestmen said:

It's a shame but I think tonights game will have a big impact on sat.

Do you think you will rest some players tonight ahead of Saturday? I would imagine the league game is more important for you guys!

2 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Do you think you will rest some players tonight ahead of Saturday? I would imagine the league game is more important for you guys!

Though I would rather have a good league campaign than a cup run, I imagine we will play our full strength team tonight. There's a cup semi-final place up for grabs.

1 hour ago, IainMorton said:

Suspect Geggan might come into midfield, so would imagine Kerr won't start.

1 hour ago, Edmond Dantès said:

Though I would rather have a good league campaign than a cup run, I imagine we will play our full strength team tonight. There's a cup semi-final place up for grabs.

Yeah no point in not going for it tonight with your strongest line up. Even if you were to lose to us on Sat, it is not going to have any real affect on your overall league campaign.

I'm sure most Ayr fans would rather win tonight and get to a Semi than beat us. When was your last semi final?

Good luck, hope you pump them!

1 minute ago, madton said:

When was your last semi final?

Good luck, hope you pump them!

2012. Don't remind us though, it was an awful and boring football match and we played WAY too defensively.

Thank you. I even know some Kilmarnock supporters who are Ayr fans tonight lol.

Archived