Morton v Ayr

So we travel to Morton next week. Looking forward to a wee jaunt up the coast. Said I’d be happy with 4 points from 6 between today and next week. Reckon this game will be a lot trickier than today. Going for a 1-1 draw with Shankland getting his usual goal.

Anywhere decent in Greenock (stop laughing) to go for a pint? Only ever been up on the supporters bus, but coming by train this time.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You’d expect Morton to be better than the showing in the league cup earlier this season considering how it was supposedly just a friendly for them.

I don’t know if I’d really make any changes here. Obviously Ayr fans on here will know I’m not keen on Geggan playing when Harvie is available but Smith is doing well at left back so I’d maybe just let that be.

I’m confident of a win here though. Another 2-0 win for Ayr with another Shankland double.

23 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

So we travel to Morton next week. Looking forward to a wee jaunt up the coast. Said I’d be happy with 4 points from 6 between today and next week. Reckon this game will be a lot trickier than today. Going for a 1-1 draw with Shankland getting his usual goal.

Anywhere decent in Greenock (stop laughing) to go for a pint? Only ever been up on the supporters bus, but coming by train this time.

Stay on the train past Cartsdyke. Greenock Central has four pubs within a two minute walk, Greenock West also has three close by, or you could stay on til Gourock and do a pub crawl along there - seven pubs between Gourock and Fort Matilda stations. Train that leaves Gourock at 1438 will still get you to Cappielow for kick off and stops at West and Central on the way.

What's decent entirely depends if you're more inclined towards a place showing football and/or doing food, or a place with strong measures and a slight risk of being a bit stabby.

Away fans who go straight to the Norseman when going to Cappielow are choosing badly.

22 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Stay on the train past Cartsdyke. Greenock Central has four pubs within a two minute walk, Greenock West also has three close by, or you could stay on til Gourock and do a pub crawl along there - seven pubs between Gourock and Fort Matilda stations. Train that leaves Gourock at 1438 will still get you to Cappielow for kick off and stops at West and Central on the way.

What's decent entirely depends if you're more inclined towards a place showing football and/or doing food, or a place with strong measures and a slight risk of being a bit stabby.

Away fans who go straight to the Norseman when going to Cappielow are choosing badly.

I'm planning the train to Gourock for a few pints option this week. Believe it or not I met my wife at Cappielow at a cup game back in 2005 and i'm in Greenock / Gourock at least once a month, but think this will only be the 3rd time back at a Morton v Ayr game in the 13 years since! 

3 minutes ago, Hursty said:

I'm planning the train to Gourock for a few pints option this week. Believe it or not I met my wife at Cappielow at a cup game back in 2005 and i'm in Greenock / Gourock at least once a month, but think this will only be the 3rd time back at a Morton v Ayr game in the 13 years since! 

My second date with my now wife was when you fucked us 6-1?  at Cappielow when Hurst scored 5.   It was her birthday too.

8 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

My second date with my now wife was when you fucked us

that's a pretty adventurous start to a relationship.

Anyway, this one is entirely open. I'll be at a wedding in Inverness and notifications will be most assuredly turned off, though the result may influence my bar decisions.

38 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

My second date with my now wife was when you fucked us 6-1?  at Cappielow when Hurst scored 5.   It was her birthday too.

Cappielow must breed romance! I was at that 6-0 one too - am I right in saying the Ayr fans were behind the nets in the 'home' end?  I've got a vague idea that Hurst never scored for us again after that but surely that's not actually the case. 

What kinda crowd are we expecting to take to Greenock? 500? 600?

This will be a crucial game given our next two games will be against Dundee United and Ross County and they play each other on Saturday. Another opportunity to pull away from 3rd and 4th with a win.

23 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

You’d expect Morton to be better than the showing in the league cup earlier this season considering how it was supposedly just a friendly for them.

I don’t know if I’d really make any changes here. Obviously Ayr fans on here will know I’m not keen on Geggan playing when Harvie is available but Smith is doing well at left back so I’d maybe just let that be.

I’m confident of a win here though. Another 2-0 win for Ayr with another Shankland double.

I’d also like to see Smith playing in his favoured postion, nothing to do with Geggan as he’s playing well. 

20 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Cappielow must breed romance! I was at that 6-0 one too - am I right in saying the Ayr fans were behind the nets in the 'home' end?  I've got a vague idea that Hurst never scored for us again after that but surely that's not actually the case. 

Yep.  Cos I was standing in the WDE with the wife 

19 minutes ago, Naeleftfit said:

I’d also like to see Smith playing in his favoured postion, nothing to do with Geggan as he’s playing well. 

I suspect that will happen in the not too distant future, but it would be harsh on Geggan at the mo.  Also depends how cheesed off the Gaffer remains with Harvie!

I suspect that will happen in the not too distant future, but it would be harsh on Geggan at the mo.  Also depends how cheesed off the Gaffer remains with Harvie!

I would be playing Geggan midweek then resting him for this one and bringing in Harvey.

I would probably rotate the wide players for the two games as well, as I don’t think it particularly weakens us.

Archived