Yahooooooo

theesel1994

I wonder what the longest running Junior football internet grudge or feud is.

These older obsolete sites are like a sort of digital Pompey with screeds of drivel perfectly preserved in time for future generations to examine and marvel at what a shower of sad fuds we were/ still are. 

Although anyone from the future that has the choice between cutting about on a jetpack or trawling through long forgotten fitba forums and elects to do the latter shouldn't be judging anyone. 

Internet forums do seem to have a finite life. User migrate to other platforms such as Twitter and facebook. I hasten to add i use neither, but I do see a marked decrease in the use of this one, particularly over the last twelve months. A lot of regulars whose opinions were at least interesting, if not always informed, have completyely disappeared, The Eat Region clubs leaving the juniors has been a big blow, Bo'ness, linlithgow, etc had a big presence here. Even RRG is now fondly remembered, Rob Roy have absolutely nothing, Pollok very little considerening their large fanbase.

I have used forums in different fields to football and noticed the same effect. Everything is becoming trivialised, and twitter and the like seems to be the medium of choice nowadays.

Remember that old mailing list that started out on e-Groups then was swallowed up by Yahoo? It's still there. Go back and re-live old arguments if you want. On second thoughts, don't bother. They're just repeated here.
yahoooooooo.JPG.012b395546b5370b342f18e53af4ac03.JPG
Guessing you got the same email that I did last night. I had no idea it was still there tbh.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
20 hours ago, theesel1994 said:
Remember that old mailing list that started out on e-Groups then was swallowed up by Yahoo? It's still there. Go back and re-live old arguments if you want. On second thoughts, don't bother. They're just repeated here.
yahoooooooo.JPG.012b395546b5370b342f18e53af4ac03.JPG

Guessing you got the same email that I did last night. I had no idea it was still there tbh.

Yes...….it was me that sent it. I couldn't resist it. My old Ayrshire Juniors website was removed from TalkTalk as they are no longer supporting them. I took an offline copy and when I was looking at it last night I noticed the link to the old e-Groups thing. So I went looking at it again. Quite a few interesting things in the Files section. Temptation got the better of me and I replied to an email. When it arrived in my mailbox I realised why the thing died as what I was replying to was no longer included so it didn't make sense. It was good at the time.

Aha I miss the old email lists, I preferred them to a lot of the web forums that people moved to. (I also got the email yesterday to the juniors mailing list.) Annual discussions on things like winter breaks, fixture lists and a pyramid structure if I remember right. Regular match reports were posted too.

It's true what garrellburn says about people moving from one platform to another. Usenet (newsgroups) was a great part of the early internet and pre-dates the World Wide Web. There were groups for just about anything. Gradually though they were overrun with spam and people moved on to mailing lists, then online forums, social media platforms and now Whatsapp is common for group discussions.

9 hours ago, garrellburn said:

Internet forums do seem to have a finite life. User migrate to other platforms such as Twitter and facebook. I hasten to add i use neither, but I do see a marked decrease in the use of this one, particularly over the last twelve months. A lot of regulars whose opinions were at least interesting, if not always informed, have completyely disappeared, The Eat Region clubs leaving the juniors has been a big blow, Bo'ness, linlithgow, etc had a big presence here. Even RRG is now fondly remembered, Rob Roy have absolutely nothing, Pollok very little considerening their large fanbase.

I have used forums in dsifferent fields to football and noticed the same effect. Everything is becoming trivialised, and twitter and the like seems to be the medium of choice nowadays.

The East teams going has definitely had an effect on here, and I don't think there's ever been much North representation - they tend to use Fitba North instead. For anyone new to the game coming on here, they'd probably get a false impression  as some sides are over-represented and others have supports who prefer to engage through club forums, FB pages and so on.

Online engagement constantly evolves though - 10-12 years ago the Yahoo group was averaging 6-700 posts a month from memory and it died almost overnight...maybe in a few years there will be a West of Scotland League forum on P&B with the Junior forum still here but a backwater used about as much as the amateur or womens' football ones are at the moment.

Equally, down the line even P&B might be a thing of the past the way the Yahoo group went...

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

The East teams going has definitely had an effect on here, and I don't think there's ever been much North representation - they tend to use Fitba North instead. For anyone new to the game coming on here, they'd probably get a false impression  as some sides are over-represented and others have supports who prefer to engage through club forums, FB pages and so on.

Online engagement constantly evolves though - 10-12 years ago the Yahoo group was averaging 6-700 posts a month from memory and it died almost overnight...maybe in a few years there will be a West of Scotland League forum on P&B with the Junior forum still here but a backwater used about as much as the amateur or womens' football ones are at the moment.

Equally, down the line even P&B might be a thing of the past the way the Yahoo group went...

On the topic of East clubs, it was they at first who had more representation here (I always saw the Yahoo group as more West-dominated until around 2011 when Yahoo was on the way out).

Archived