Names

NJ2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45559619

Hunter & Aurora join the top 100 baby names apparently. Good to see a come back for Edith and nice that Ralph is going well. From the top 10 we should have a good few Dod’s & Isa’s in the future.

Do any P&B’ers have friends? Friends that have given their children unusual names?

Have you got a stupid name?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Easily the best bit of that article is the seethe that Muhammad at number 10 will generate. I actually looked excitedly for a HYS section. 

I like to think of some little family in Stoke or somewhere, having a boy and calling him Muhammad only for the gran-parents to implode with rage for absolutely no reason.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
6 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:
I got bullied over my name at primary in England :bairn

We would have bullied you too Cecil.

It was a fine excuse to give them all a jolly good thrashing anyway, annoying c***s that they were. 

Easily the best bit of that article is the seethe that Muhammad at number 10 will generate. I actually looked excitedly for a HYS section. 

With that spelling the name is at number 10 but with the various different spellings including Mohammed it is the most popular name in the country with 7229 babies born with that name in 2017.

5 minutes ago, throbber said:

With that spelling the name is at number 10 but with the various different spellings including Mohammed it is the most popular name in the country with 7229 babies born with that name in 2017.

what counts as a different spelling and what's a different name? muhammed maybe? mohammet? what about mohmet?

how about if you count the different spellings/versions of other names though: lump in all the ians, euans, eoins, owens, johns, jans and giovannis?

Personnally i think names are outdated and our robot overlords will find barcodes a much more practical way of managing their bio-resources.

what counts as a different spelling and what's a different name? muhammed maybe? mohammet? what about mohmet?
how about if you count the different spellings/versions of other names though: lump in all the ians, euans, eoins, owens, johns, jans and giovannis?
Personnally i think names are outdated and our robot overlords will find barcodes a much more practical way of managing their bio-resources.

I’m not sure, what I said about the different spellings was in the article posted by the OP. The % of Muslim boys called Muhammad is disproportionate so it’s not really a fair representation. Out of the top 10 male names I don’t know or have never met or heard of anyone with 5 of them, I can only think of one Oliver and one Harry that I have ever met and only about 2 Jacks. Noah is a ridiculous name as well and anyone called that is forbidden to play with my daughter.

Archived