Loons v City

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, OldRed said:

I did not want to post after our Montrose defeat but after watching another game spoiled by a plastic pitch I have to join the “get rid of them” brigade. It is like watching a game of tennis except miskicks and misdirected passes dominate the game. It really isn’t football as we know it Jim. Not to mention career ending injuries - how long can the SFA let that go on?

not sure about the “how did Forfar not win that game” post - both teams missed a pile of sitters - could have been 5 -5 . Not sure about the”two poor teams” comment either - on that pitch how would you tell?

So, you don't like plastic pitches?  Regards ours, I've played on it many times and the surface does not cause the miskicks or misdirected passes only the player. I will concede you have a point regarding injuries as I unfortunately know about. I'd still have our plastic magic carpet than the quagmire that is the Glebe slope.

Could've been a 5-5 draw you say? Brechin were mighty lucky not to be four nil down in the first quarter of an hour or did you not see that? First half hour Forfar were dominant without scoring, the next half hour or so Brechin were better but only because we had a prolonged panic after losing a goal very much against the run of play. The last half hour was fairly even with Forfar having more possession and more real chances but again not managing to make it count with Brennan leading a charmed life.

Guest bernardblack
He's getting very little service im afraid. We are sorely missing Mark Millar.

This. The stick Reilly gets in the stand for keeping the ball is ridiculous

Jim having another pop at certain players attitude at training again, think we can work out who they maybe (much to many's disgust on here) 

I really do wish he could stick to a team that all play in their positions instead of this constant tinkering about.

I remember him going on at the start when he came in about how important it was to have the spine of the team correct....still waiting a year later.

Yet another draw for us think we were lucky not to loose that. Can't really blame the pitch. We are so boring to watch we are set up to sit back all the time when forfar got a corner we have every one back for it and no one left up the park so no chance of going on the counter. Think Dods has had his time. Time we had a change

Guest bernardblack
Jim having another pop at certain players attitude at training again, think we can work out who they maybe (much to many's disgust on here) 
I really do wish he could stick to a team that all play in their positions instead of this constant tinkering about.
I remember him going on at the start when he came in about how important it was to have the spine of the team correct....still waiting a year later.

To be fair I think he’s hampered by having to play the loan players in a set percentage of matches.

The spine of the team has been pretty constant:

McCallum - Travis (when fit) - Reilly/Murray - Hilson/Baird

Add in Meechan and Bain playing every game and that’s a very decent start to a team. Especially with players like Easton coming off the bench

To be fair I think he’s hampered by having to play the loan players in a set percentage of matches.

The spine of the team has been pretty constant:

McCallum - Travis (when fit) - Reilly/Murray - Hilson/Baird

Add in Meechan and Bain playing every game and that’s a very decent start to a team. Especially with players like Easton coming off the bench
Easton is generally awful when he comes off the bench, makes very little impact. He really needs to be starting.

Reilly and Murray were overrun for a large part of yesterday's game too. As previously mentioned, Millar is a huge loss this season.

As for the game, first 10 we were great the next 35 completely awful. Why Brechin didn't continue in the second half with a high pressing line I've no idea. It resorted to us punting high balls to the two smallest players on the pitch against the two tallest.

Brechin's ploy of time wasting in the first half, right from the off, was appalling viewing. Strange that only the keeper kept at it in the second half.

I liked the look of the Brechin sub Melingui when he came on, great bit of skill on the wing.

14 hours ago, theSilverFox said:

So, you don't like plastic pitches?  Regards ours, I've played on it many times and the surface does not cause the miskicks or misdirected passes only the player. I will concede you have a point regarding injuries as I unfortunately know about. I'd still have our plastic magic carpet than the quagmire that is the Glebe slope.

Could've been a 5-5 draw you say? Brechin were mighty lucky not to be four nil down in the first quarter of an hour or did you not see that? First half hour Forfar were dominant without scoring, the next half hour or so Brechin were better but only because we had a prolonged panic after losing a goal very much against the run of play. The last half hour was fairly even with Forfar having more possession and more real chances but again not managing to make it count with Brennan leading a charmed life.

It took about 15 minutes for our midfield started working  but for the rest of the first half they dominated . Shut down everything that Farfar tried to do , forcing them to mis-place  passes .  We should have taken more advantage of this and built a comfortable lead as Farfar came out a different team  in the second half.  They must have been subject to a Jim Weir meltdown at half  time.  

As the 2nd half went on we started to sit deeper and deeper , letting Farfar come at us . Weir realised this and freshened things up with some inspired subs while Dods just stood apparently unsure of how to change things.   The impending Farfar goal came which resulted in Dods shoving on Lynas to try and further tighten things up , although admittedly Sinclair was struggling a bit.  The game from our perspective at that point was crying out for Boris to add a more attacking dimension to us , but for whatever reason Dods left it till 6 mins from the end , which by that time Farfar were unlucky not to be leading . 

Once again the tactical know -how from Dods and co has to be questioned . What was said at half time to produce such a negative reaction from our players after dominating so well in the first half ?  I am sorry but I am beginning to completely lose faith in the management team .  Our first half performance showed that we have the ability to compete  well but for Dods to just stand and watch that abject second half apparently clueless  is unacceptable. 

6 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Easton is generally awful when he comes off the bench, makes very little impact. He really needs to be starting.

Reilly and Murray were overrun for a large part of yesterday's game too. As previously mentioned, Millar is a huge loss this season.

As for the game, first 10 we were great the next 35 completely awful. Why Brechin didn't continue in the second half with a high pressing line I've no idea. It resorted to us punting high balls to the two smallest players on the pitch against the two tallest.

Brechin's ploy of time wasting in the first half, right from the off, was appalling viewing. Strange that only the keeper kept at it in the second half.

I liked the look of the Brechin sub Melingui when he came on, great bit of skill on the wing.

If by time wasting , you mean keeping possession and passing it about trying to create chances , then bring it on !!  Sorry but the Farfar punt is equally appalling . 

If by time wasting , you mean keeping possession and passing it about trying to create chances , then bring it on !!  Sorry but the Farfar punt is equally appalling . 
Nope. The constant kicking the ball away even when it was A Brechin ball, slowly sauntering up to take a throw in then deciding another player should take it instead, shouts from Dods to "leave it" when the full back who was literally feet from the ball was going to give it to the keeper etc. There was sill 80 odd minutes to go when it started. Grim viewing.

Brechin weren’t wasting time, the goalie wa just being ‘professional’.

Amazed no-one has mentioned the miss in first minute or so that was a terrible finish that would have changed the game completely. Thought we looked much better one Munro and Aitken came on. 

Hoofing it high to Baird has to be the worst game plan imaginable. Nearly all our danger came from getting ball wide on the deck. McIntosh and Reilly lack the creativity in the middle hence why playing Easton is nigh on essential to me but clearly there is a reason Weir is not playing him.

2 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

I liked the look of the Brechin sub Melingui when he came on, great bit of skill on the wing

Boris is really unlucky not to be starting, from what I've seen so far this season (home games only apart from yesterday). Hendry has done well and you would obviously include Jackson when fit so here's a thought - why not start with all three? 3-5-2 with Lynas and Burns as wing backs (once McLean is fully fit), Tapping + 1 in centre mid, those 3 up top. 

Means orsi misses out, and Spark from yesterday's side as well as one of either morena or Sinclair. 

Boris is really unlucky not to be starting, from what I've seen so far this season (home games only apart from yesterday). Hendry has done well and you would obviously include Jackson when fit so here's a thought - why not start with all three? 3-5-2 with Lynas and Burns as wing backs (once McLean is fully fit), Tapping + 1 in centre mid, those 3 up top. 
Means orsi misses out, and Spark from yesterday's side as well as one of either morena or Sinclair. 

Since moving to wing back Orsi has undoubtedly been one of our best players, why would he be dropped?

Archived