Airdrieonians vs Dumbarton

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think a score draw is a bad shout for this. I'll be hoping we can win it after a positive result at the weekend but I think a draw is the most likely outcome.

Impossible to predict how we'll line up but I'd probably go with the following:

Adam

Ballantyne Dowie Allardice Dyer

Forbes Thomson Carswell Barr

Aitchison Gallagher

If Hutton is fit he will start IMO but. Thomson put in a decent shift up top on Saturday but I prefer his drive from midfield (something we're currently lacking IMO) and I think Gallagher deserves a shot over Loy. Loy did look pretty decent when he came on against Montrose, despite missing some sitters, so I'm not against him starting.

Apologies for any shite formatting in the above. The app is a lottery for such things.

12 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

In a league where we either win or lose, then a draw seems unlikely. If the sons are up for a hard working /pacy approach they could overcome our slow midfield but up front we might have the edge. I am hopeless at predicting results so that's enough .

Between this and the other stuff I read on your thread at the weekend I'm convinced that we've managed to assemble the same squad, managed by the same man.

Just now, Ross Forbes said:

Between this and the other stuff I read on your thread at the weekend I'm convinced that we've managed to assemble the same squad, managed by the same man.

That was what I was thinking before I posted. One of them will be gone on Monday if they lose, but bearing my prediction record I should say nothing. Was the last time we played each other the 2nd leg play off on what seems so long ago?

Just now, Chapelhall chap said:

That was what I was thinking before I posted. One of them will be gone on Monday if they lose, but bearing my prediction record I should say nothing. Was the last time we played each other the 2nd leg play off on what seems so long ago?

I think (our) Stevie has until the start of the second round of fixtures before he'll come under serious pressure from the board. The win on Saturday will have bought him some much needed extra time with the fans. If we don't win this though then most people will be straight back onto his case - especially if the performance is poor again.

Last time we played was a 4-1 Sons win at the Rock in April 2013. Think you guys had been relegated by then too.

No shame in being hammered by that Dumbarton team though (especially when you had guys like Marc Warren starting). I got all misty-eyed when I was making up the infographic for our Twitter.

The playoffs though :wub:

Thanks for the painful reminder of all these games which I will watch after I have seen the "Midweek Floodlit League" games on BT.  Was impressed by how well you have done well over the period since the playoffs whilst we had a period of managed decline. Whether our optimism about the recent Board/Ownership changes can be taken forward by our "Coach" is as much  a quandary as your position-maybe the first quarter will be the decision time. I have a sneaky feeling that whoever finishes above Arbroath will be champions.

I think (our) Stevie has until the start of the second round of fixtures before he'll come under serious pressure from the board. The win on Saturday will have bought him some much needed extra time with the fans. If we don't win this though then most people will be straight back onto his case - especially if the performance is poor again.

Last time we played was a 4-1 Sons win at the Rock in April 2013. Think you guys had been relegated by then too.

No shame in being hammered by that Dumbarton team though (especially when you had guys like Marc Warren starting). I got all misty-eyed when I was making up the infographic for our Twitter.

[/url]  

Paddy flannery seems to be in the know re: Facebook page

I'm just hoping to read a match preview that isn't utterly depressing in regards to team news.  Everyone fit with the exception of Paton and Barr would be a positive thing (although we miss both players).  Again I don't care who plays, we're up against a team that look just as inconsistent as us (although they are scoring more goals) so we should absolutely be looking for 3 points.  Never easy going here, funnily enough I think the easiest game we had here was that play-off final victory. 

23 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

*Shudder*. 

After that play-off final 2nd leg is genuinely the worst I've ever felt after a football game. 

Anyway, for this game, I am going to make the safest prediction in football in that we will take a lead but fail to hold on to it. 

58 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

*Shudder*. 

After that play-off final 2nd leg is genuinely the worst I've ever felt after a football game. 

Anyway, for this game, I am going to make the safest prediction in football in that we will take a lead but fail to hold on to it. 

At least you exacted revenge on us (well me personally) by scoring twice in injury time to deny us our first win back in the second tier a few months later. That probably hurt more than Carl Tremarco scoring after 93 minutes in Perth.

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

At least you exacted revenge on us (well me personally) by scoring twice in injury time to deny us our first win back in the second tier a few months later. That probably hurt more than Carl Tremarco scoring after 93 minutes in Perth.

I’m sure we beat you 4-1 at home in the first league game after the playoff final. 

I’m sure we beat you 4-1 at home in the first league game after the playoff final. 

You did, aye. John Boyle scored a hat-trick. That didn’t hurt as much as Nathan Blockley stabbing the ball in at about 10 to 5 a few months later though!

9 hours ago, airdrieman said:

If Kyle Hutton plays I expect him to have an absolute stormer. Not because he's a good footballer (don't be so silly) but because he's an ex Airdrie player and that seems to be the way of things. 

Hutton was an utterly dreadful player.  He could barely tackle proficiently, couldn't pass the ball, was sloppy tracking runners,  couldn't finish...   tbh, he'd probably improve the current midfield.

Archived