Raith Rovers v The Angus Minnows

Enigma

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair Super has a point about Cuthbert to an extent. 

I think he comes across well enough when interviewed but I've seen him referred to as a club legend and such like which is way over the top. He had one good season for us as a player and there's little evidence so far to suggest he has what it takes on the coaching side of things other than the mandatory soundbites from the odd player and the chairman.

I hope Cuthbert has the “balls” to start Flannigan and Milne now they are both fit, dropping Buchanan and Duggan allowing Vaughan and Nisbet (our main goal threats) to play up top. If he does and we win, job could be his.

Also all this McKay being our best defender stuff - he IS a great young player and a fantastic talent, has played brilliantly against Forfar and just as impressively when he came on against Airdrie when confronted with their quick and diminutive forwards in John Baird & Dale Carrick, when McKay could use his pace and tackling to nullify them. However, when he plays against the big powerful striker he gets far too easily bullied as per Stranraer when he cost a goal, even Jonny Court for East Fife battered him FFS, and Brian Graham up at Dingwall never lost a single ball in the air to him. So can see why he is being left out against the teams with big powerful front men, until he bulks up a bit, which when he does he will absolutely be a key player for Raith.

16 minutes ago, Daysgoneby said:

I hope Cuthbert has the “balls” to start Flannigan and Milne now they are both fit, dropping Buchanan and Duggan allowing Vaughan and Nisbet (our main goal threats) to play up top. If he does and we win, job could be his.

Also all this McKay being our best defender stuff - he IS a great young player and a fantastic talent, has played brilliantly against Forfar and just as impressively when he came on against Airdrie when confronted with their quick and diminutive forwards in John Baird & Dale Carrick, when McKay could use his pace and tackling to nullify them. However, when he plays against the big powerful striker he gets far too easily bullied as per Stranraer when he cost a goal, even Jonny Court for East Fife battered him FFS, and Brian Graham up at Dingwall never lost a single ball in the air to him. So can see why he is being left out against the teams with big powerful front men, until he bulks up a bit, which when he does he will absolutely be a key player for Raith.

Couldn’t agree more with the Dave McKay part. He is a very good prospect but the love in and declaration of him as our best defender already is way over the top. He has a lot to learn and was woeful (along with the whole defence) up at Ross County and very shaky against East Fife.

He has a lot to learn which I’m sure he will and he’ll go on to become a really good defender. However, people seem to think it’s like a computer game where if you play a youngster every week they automatically get better. That isn’t the case, the best thing for his development (along with Watson) is to be given a few games then be taken out the firing line, particularly when they’ve had a shocker like they did at Dingwall.

Build their confidence back up in training and come back stronger. I hope he’s back in the team today but would understand the reasoning if he wasn’t. If he had another shocker last week his confidence would be shot and that’s much harder to recover from at his age. 

Cuthbert made a few mistakes last week, I don’t feel dropping McKay is one of them. Nisbet a right wing back though!?

Davo and Bene at the back last week allowed the Brechin Striker a free header from 6 yards out. McKay wouldn’t have let that happen.

25 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Davo and Bene at the back last week allowed the Brechin Striker a free header from 6 yards out. McKay wouldn’t have let that happen.

Apart from he let it happen various times the weekend before against Ross County. Granted Brian Graham is far superior to anyone he’s played against before and much better than anything Brechin had to offer and it was definitely not only McKay’s fault but to say ‘McKay wouldn’t have let that happen’ is nonsense IMO. 

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Our worst centre back over the past 6 months has been Benedictus. 

No argument with me on that. Such a shame how much the injury has taken away from him, was convinced when we were relegated he would stroll it at this level.

Thought after his excellent performance against Hearts he might kick on back to his old levels but it’s never really happened. 

Was having a look on the Rovers website, but found hee-haw. Does anyone know how much it is to take in a 3 year old? My eldest is dying to come to the football (personally I think it’s too soon, but she’ll learn that herself, maybe...!). Cheers in advance.

Preschool are free. Took my youngest last home game

This week, the pre-match press conference took place with: 

Kevin Cuthbert

Grant Gillespie

I think the one thing that is clear to me, having been at Stark's Park for the pressers over the past few weeks is that the players are fully behind Cuthbert and would love 'Cat' to get the job. I think that was emphasised in Gillespie's interview. 

A good result today, alongside a strong performance, and IMO, Cuthbert will be well in the frame for the job on a FT basis. I'm not convinced yet that he will get it as I think an experienced manager such as Jim Duffy is probably the safer choice for RRFC at this stage, but, if Kevin has the respect of the players, is producing strong performances and gaining decent results then you can't count him out. Such a big call for the Rovers BoD.

In saying all that, it won't be easy for Raith today; I think Montrose have acquitted themselves very well so far and their league position is false to how good their ability is. 

It'll be a tight game but I think the hosts may just edge it...

4 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

Buzzing for this, hospitality and getting to meet Gordon Wallace (Mk1), oh and there's a football game as well.

If you're still autograph hunting mind take a pen that works on shiny paper ;)

I'd recommend a Stubby marker :whistle

Archived