Raith Rovers v The Angus Minnows

Enigma

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What was going on with the Montrose number 10 at the end of the game? Looked like he was wanting to fight with someone in the supporters.
That's their Assistant manager.

Was pretty funny - a bit like Bobby Barr a few times last season.

What was going on with the Montrose number 10 at the end of the game? Looked like he was wanting to fight with someone in the supporters.
My pal suggested that Hamish had asked for a lift back, and Ross Campbell had only just found out: hence his over-reaction on leaving the pitch.

Missed the crucial finish for the Montrose goal so we can't really see who was most culpable (answer - Cuthbert) and misses the WWE challenge which recommenced our goalkeeping crisis. To be honest, it all looks worse than I remember it, and I thought it excruciating the first time.

Not only missed the Wright injury,but missed the only goalmouth action worthy of note from the Rovers. A cool head under pressure, great technique - and won the crossbar challenge at half time. Re halftime though - why treat ex players so badly? Gordon Wallace and Alan Miller left standing around waiting for the 50 50 winner to appear - No interview or even explanation to younger fans as to who they were and what they did for the club?

Good team performance yesterday from the Angus minnows,with a little bit of luck we could have nicked it in the end.Best game I've seen Harrington have along with cregg,Dillon was immense yesterday along with Terry Masson.If Raith give the job to Cuthbert you might aswell give the league trophy to Arbroath now.

Good team performance yesterday from the Angus minnows,with a little bit of luck we could have nicked it in the end.Best game I've seen Harrington have along with cregg,Dillon was immense yesterday along with Terry Masson.If Raith give the job to Cuthbert you might aswell give the league trophy to Arbroath now.
We might give it to Petrie.

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

Montrose played well, sensible in possession, a refreshing lack of hoof ball and a variety of set piece routines.

That was a painful watch. Whilst this board dithers on appointing a manager to work on scraps. We will just continue to struggle. You could see the “players” struggling to adapt to the game. Out of position, out fought and again out played.

13 hours ago, Growl3th said:

Absolutely nothing. Probably looked like it from afar but he was just winding up the fans in the corner in a 'come on, keep it up' sort of way. The fans were noisy and the players and management appreciate that, we all get on well. After watching years of dross with  away fans you could count on one hand it makes such a difference now we have decent away support.  Maybe looked a bit hypo but nowt but good decent banter.

Well, the Angus "minnows" certainly gave you a run for your money and with a bit of luck could have had all three points.
Our keeper had very little to do.
If looking for any comparison, the Angus "big fish" are miles ahead of you.

Well, the Angus "minnows" certainly gave you a run for your money and with a bit of luck could have had all three points.
Our keeper had very little to do.
If looking for any comparison, the Angus "big fish" are miles ahead of you.

[emoji23] we don't even have a manager just now.

Stand by comments I made yesterday that cuthbert is not an idiot. But he’s definitely not a football manager. That’s four points lost because of board incompetence. If the plan was to sack Smith they surely should have had some succession plan in place. That’s what competent business people do. Where do we go now? The cheap option of Cuthbert can’t be considered after a thumping at Dingwall and failure to beat two of the lesser teams in this league. Sim has a lot of questions to answer. Despite all his positive words I’m not sure I’m happy with him at the helm of my beloved club. Please prove me wrong. This is the lowest I’ve felt since relegation at Meadowbank in Bobby Wilson’s era. And that’s saying something.

Christ, calm down and get a grip of yourself. We're second in the league, unbeaten and don't have a manager. We've got the best team in this league if the players are played the correct way. Short memories from everyone who moaned and groaned about Barry Smiths dreaded 4-4-2.

There was also no plan to sack Barry Smith and I don't see why there should have been one. The BoD don't have the finances to behave like some clubs and sack managers at the drop of a hat and in all honesty there was no grounds to sack him. Comparing a football club to other business organisations is a naive mistake a lot of people have made so I wouldn't start getting your already twisted knickers anymore twisted by trying it.

Defending Cuthbert as not being an idiot is fine but his managerial decisions and tactical awareness has been nothing short of idiotic. Not to mention these interviews where he speaks in contradicting cliches and ties himself in knots. Unfortunately there's not been much of an option for the club, it's either a case of rush the appointment of the next manager or hope that Cuthbert is able to take things on from where Smith left. He changed a winning team and formation and is now too stubborn to change it back. A mistake that will have cost him the job as our next manager.

I don't think people were against playing 4-4-2.

Its the fact that Barry Smith was absolutely obsessed by that formation, and would shoe horn players into that shape rather than change the shape to suit the available players. 

6 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I don't think people were against playing 4-4-2.

Its the fact that Barry Smith was absolutely obsessed by that formation, and would show horn players into that shape rather than change the shape to suit the available players. 

Exactly this. 

A trait that Cuthbert has sadly copied with a different formation. 

Cuthbert is making Smith look far better in hindsight than he actually was this season. Forfar game aside, it has varied from absolutely awful to reasonable. Smith already oversaw enough dross this season to suggest that the right appointment this week will leave us in a better place than we would have been under him in the long run. The East Fife game was very similar to yesterday, just minus the weird formation. 

Smith is an average lower league manager, and it should be pretty simple to emerge from this process with a better manager at the helm.  Having the chance to win the league on the last day of the season having been 8 points clear in February isn't really an achievement that should be heralded. It in fact represents that every single crunch game we faced in the run in where we had some expectation and pressure we completely folded. There is nothing to suggest that would have been any different this season. Away to Albion, home to Arbroath, Away to Ayr, away to Forfar, away to Arbroath, home to Alloa, then the two playoff games against them. That's 8 games between Feb and May where the team folded like a deck of cards where even an ounce of composure would have brought the title. 

Lete not kid ourselves, Smith was not good enough and the fact that Cuthbert looks even worse doesn't change that, nor does 1 win against Forfar,as good as we played that day.

Even the unfancied types like Duffy would represent an upgrade and a fairly significant one at that. 

Archived