Contintal Players

On 18/09/2018 at 12:47, forameus said:

Again off topic, but I'd almost rather they went completely ridiculous in naming the leagues, rather than just go "och, just copy England, pal".  Name them after 90s era Gladiators (I wouldn't mind Thistle's fucking mediocrity if we were going to stay in the Hunter and Wolf League) for all I care, just make them different.

The Mediocre League

The Not-Quite-Diddies-Not-Quite-Mediocre League

The Seaside & Village Diddy Teams League

The Absolute Diddy League

Tuechtar Championship

Stabby Village Teams From Ayrshire

Stabby Urban Teams From The West Of Scotland

Stabby Urban Teams From The East Of Scotland 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't give a f**k about English football why do we sook it boabie?

Anyway Harper should be looked at seriously malaga are skooshing it and it's not like we've got anyone else who has learnt the game in Madrid.

On 9/22/2018 at 10:10, Binos said:

All of them should be seriously considered

If you're playing English championship seems to be good enough so why not

The standard in the English Championship is miles better than the second tier in any league in Europe.  Arguably better than a few of the top leagues too.

Hamburg got cunted 5-0 at home at the weekend but Bates wasn't in the squad.

I don’t think they’ve conceded in the last three games he’s started for them and in the last three he hasn’t played it’s been goals galore.

Theres definitely a few who have started off ok, but none of them IMO are anywhere near ready just yet. Fair play to them all for heading abroad, and hopefully in a year or so they are much closer to breaking in to the squad.

Henderson's wasn't really close to the national set up before he left Celtic, and the problem for him we have a number of excellent midfielders playing well - McGinn, McGregor, MacDonald, Cairney etc, or guys who at present I can't see being left out like Armstrong and McTominay. Ryan Jack also playing well enough to warrant his callup last time. McArthur is to come back in as well, and Morrison is back fit.

Harper might yet break in - still young - needs to have a good couple of months and could break in to the squad early next year potentially. 1 goal in 6 isn't knocking the door down yet.  Griffiths is a certainty, Naismith's form is 2nd to nobody at present, and Phillips has scored 4 or 5 in 8 games. for me, Russell is next in line given how well he played in the last international window, and is playing well over in America, and Snoddgrass will always be in and around the squad. Rhodes has started off well, scored a hat trick the other night so he will be coming back into thoughts. I certainly wouldn't have Harper ahead of any of those just yet. Then you'd maybe look at Harper, along with Tony Watt and Cummings.

Bates for me isn't ready, unless we have a real shortage at the back I watched his first game, and he was awful - got hooked early into the 2nd half. He;s young, and he'll need a bit of time to settle in. The starting back 3 will come from Teirney, Mulgrew, McKenna and Souttar.

Likewise Gauld. All that promise, and yet to really have the opportunity to show it yet.

On 26/09/2018 at 18:59, RobbieD said:

The standard in the English Championship is miles better than the second tier in any league in Europe.  Arguably better than a few of the top leagues too.

Is it

Or is it just ludicrously hyped

On 27/09/2018 at 11:43, Tarmo Kink said:

Based on what?

I’m not saying you’re wrong but teams from La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1 etc all regularly get wins over Premier League sides, so what’s to say their second tier sides wouldn’t too?

13 hours ago, Binos said:

Is it

Or is it just ludicrously hyped

When talking about the English Premier League folk often confuse excitement for quality.  More goal scoring chances might mean more exciting games, but many of those chances come from mistakes. Maybe the same thing is happening here, to some extent.

I wouldn't be surprised if teams in the bottom half of the English Championship could batter their foreign equivalents, but would expect the likes of Hamburg, Malaga, Zaragoza, Verona, Palermo to be able to handle Wigan, Forest, & the Sheffield clubs etc.

Either way, getting some foreign coaching and culture will hopefully be a good thing for these boys, and fair play to them for giving it a go. Its much more interesting than reading about them at the likes of Brentford or Rotherham

I’d take a chance on Harper. We haven’t got many options up tops, he’s started the season pretty well and it’ll allow Big Eck to have a good look at him even if we don’t use him. Go into the next game with Griffiths, Naismith, Phillips and Harper as our options up tops.

Much as Bates been impressive, we’ve got McKenna coming back and back 3 looked pretty decent last game.

Henderson is a tough one, obviously playing at a decent level in Italy, and seems to be one of there better players but we’ve great options in midfield.

Archived