Wild Animals

Having dipped into the photography thread, seeing some of the amazing wildlife shots, it got me thinking about the most impressive animals I have seen in their entirely natural habitat. I added a couple over the last month but was unable to get pictures.

My list is.

Elephants (on a beach in Gabon)

Turtle (spotted last Tuesday in the Arabian gulf)

Southern right whales (breaching and putting on a show in South Africa)

Moose (grazing in Wyoming)

Great White Shark (again South Africa).

So what from the animal world have you witnessed close at hand in their natural habitat?

I've seen a few black bears when in Northern Ontario, beautiful animals. Also recently saw a coyote running across the road outside my building. 

Not quite so wild but I love seeing chipmunks when I'm walking my dog, pretty cute for a rodent

I've sat and had a pint 5 metres away from a wild elephant in Botswana.   

On the same trip I also came within a couple of metres of a hippo that popped it's head up beside my canoe (that was far too close for comfort)

Humpback whales breaching right beside 'our' boat in Bay of Fundy. They f***ing reek.

Stepped into a hole in the ground unaware that a Snowy Owl was sheltering in there up by Cape Wrath.  We shared a brief stare-out with a mutual message of "wtf are you doing here??!" before it flew off back to it's igloo or whatever it has.  Only reported sighting in Scotland that year. 

Penguins wandering past me on the beach near Cape Town.

Aberdeen's mutant seagulls snatching various items of bakery produce out of my hands. Kleptoparasitic b*****ds. 

Some Clyde fans.

Dingwall may be small, but it's considerably larger than a deer.

There have been plenty of sightings of large cats in the north of Scotland, the beast of Banff being the only one I have ever seen caught on camera.

27 minutes ago, throbber said:

My dad claims he saw a wild cat by the side of the road not far from Dingwall once. Said it was about the size of a deer.

Catman of Greenock on tour.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

There have been plenty of sightings of large cats in the north of Scotland, the beast of Banff being the only one I have ever seen caught on camera.

Didn't think these entrapment vigilantes made it that far north.

I've also went to see the southern right whales in south africa near Hermanus I think. And saw black bears in ontario. We had to ask locals where we could find them. The only place they could guarantee was the local rubbish dump which wasnt what I had in mind but went anyway. Another quite cool thing I've seen is flying fish in Gran Canaria. Amazing how far they can actually fly.

Archived