St Johnstone visit Ibrox 23rd September

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Biggest test for our new look side yet. Hope we keep the same eleven going, we need to learn how to try and keep teams out, while retaining the ability to get numbers forward, games like this could provide vital lessons as the season progresses. 

As always, Rangers won't be as good as the media or their fans are portraying, nor will they be as bad as fans of other clubs suggest. Expect they'll dominate possession comfortably. 

Think we'll go with a similar team that finished against Aberdeen. Swanson in behind Watt, with Wotherspoon and Wright either side of Craig and Alston. Just a guess though. 

Only certainty is Alston will score from over 20 yards. 

Alston's goals at Ibrox are a thing of beauty.

Don't think it would be very fair on Davie Mac to get dropped after scoring on Saturday, and he also won a good few defensive headers, which is something the manager might consider.

I'd be surprised if we see any changes from the same starting XI as the past couple of matches, depending on whether Tommy is still in the cream puff with Liam Craig. (If that story of his substitution was true).

Pretty sure we've had less possession in every one of our league games so far (?), and this match will be no different. It suits us, soaking up pressure and playing on the counter. We can look really effective playing that way, and if it wasn't for a careless final ball at times, I think we'd have created far more chances from it.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Alston's goals at Ibrox are a thing of beauty.

Don't think it would be very fair on Davie Mac to get dropped after scoring on Saturday, and he also won a good few defensive headers, which is something the manager might consider.

I'd be surprised if we see any changes from the same starting XI as the past couple of matches, depending on whether Tommy is still in the cream puff with Liam Craig. (If that story of his substitution was true).

Pretty sure we've had less possession in every one of our league games so far (?), and this match will be no different. It suits us, soaking up pressure and playing on the counter. We can look really effective playing that way, and if it wasn't for a careless final ball at times, I think we'd have created far more chances from it.

TW is quoted as saying it was a disagreement with Craig in one of the rag papers, Sun or Record, imagine they're both smart enough to get over it pretty quickly though. 

Just a feeling I have with the line up I talked about, feels like the type of line up we've had success in Glasgow with before. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

TW is quoted as saying it was a disagreement with Craig in one of the rag papers, Sun or Record, imagine they're both smart enough to get over it pretty quickly though. 

Just a feeling I have with the line up I talked about, feels like the type of line up we've had success in Glasgow with before. 

Yes you kind of sense the inevitability of Swanson being in the starting line up.   It's  just a case of waiting to see who has a bad game/ gets injured etc first out of the wide players, or the player playing off the striker and he will fill that role, and likely keep it.  Even if Watt was out for a game, McMillan would probably go main striker, with Danny in behind. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Surely Muzz won't be fit quite yet? Will he? Hope so.

Surely Liam won't be playing either after the reason he was subbed at HT on Saturday. 

He's certainly walking about fine, was speaking to him Saturday, although never asked when he would be back playing.

You never know with Muzz - the club reckon he'll be out for 4-6 weeks - his surgery was 3 weeks ago on Thursday - and as we know, Muzz generally defies all logic and science and gets himself back earlier than you'd expect. He'll be itching to to be on the park again.

I'm not sure about Craig. He's in fine form just now though, so hopefully he's apologised and we can move on from all that.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Clark

Foster Kerr Shaughnessy Tanser

Alston Davidson/Craig

Wright McMillan Swanson

Watt

IMO.

Do you think Swanson will start ahead of Kennedy?  That's an exciting looking line up, but I wonder if it'll be saved for in a couple of games time. I would say Kennedy is better defensively that Danny Boy, and we might have to do a fair bit of defending at Ibrox.

If he does start with that team, that's a pretty baws oot let's get at thum line up. Not for the last time this season you would imagine, an interesting team selection ahead..

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Do you think Swanson will start ahead of Kennedy?  That's an exciting looking line up, but I wonder if it'll be saved for in a couple of games time. I would say Kennedy is better defensively that Danny Boy, and we might have to do a fair bit of defending at Ibrox.

If he does start with that team, that's a pretty baws oot let's get at thum line up. Not for the last time this season you would imagine, an interesting team selection ahead..

I think there's a fair chance Swanson will start and Kennedy is probably most vulnerable to being dropped given the form of McMillan. I like Foster and Wright up the right - I reckon they've got more natural chemistry than Tanser and Kennedy do, although they're certainly not too bad together either.

I'm not sure we have the players available to try and sit in just now, unless Davidson is fit and Craig is out of the doghouse. The options we have are pretty obscene all the same. I think the goalie and back 4 and probably Watt are pretty set in stone just now, but you could change the whole complexion of that midfield by playing Alston and Wotherspoon on either wing, play Davidson and Craig together in the middle with either Scougall or Swanson a bit more advanced in behind Watt and you've got a much more narrow, defensive set up that would still have the potential to cause some problems up the other end.

Edit: I forgot about Callachan as well. I left Nydam out as I can't see him getting a run out at Ibrox.

Clark

Shaughnessy - Anderson - Kerr 

Wright - Alston - Craig - Kennedy 

Swanson

McMillan - Watt

Send the **** back to their graves. 6-0 Saints. 20,000 in the Rangers end but 60,000 reported. 

19 hours ago, bennett said:

We'll probably be a bit jaded after our European adventures but should have enough in the tank for a win (as long as there's none of those pesky honest mistakes).

St Johnstone may be visiting Ibrox. You fucking won’t be though. 

Archived