Stenhousemuir vs Arbroath

Fairly poor game overall in my opinion, we took an especially long time to get started, with the first 35/40 minutes very poor with endless long balls pumped up to the Stenny centre backs. Dick got his substitutions correct, and while I feel overall a draw was maybe more of a fair result it's these type of wins that go a long way at the end of the season. It's easy enough to win games against opposition that is considered 'lesser' on paper when you're playing well, but it's the wins in these games where we struggled for a lot of the game which really matter point wise over 36 games. Again I feel we struggled in the middle of the park at times, with a lot of space in there for Ferry/ Paton to work in, however we've done really well to grind out a win over the piece and our start to this season has been simply outstanding.

Stenny look no better/ worse than half the teams in this division in my opinion and I think they'll be in a very tight group of 4/5/6 teams in the middle/ lower part of the table.

Overall while it was a distinctly average performance we got the points which really is all that matters - I'd go as far to say as our strength in depth won us that, if we'd not been able to bring quality players in off the bench to change it up we'd have continued to huff and puff through the second half and have had to settle for a point.

Getting the 3 points really makes this feel like the best 17th birthday I've ever had :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fairly poor game overall in my opinion, we took an especially long time to get started, with the first 35/40 minutes very poor with endless long balls pumped up to the Stenny centre backs. Dick got his substitutions correct, and while I feel overall a draw was maybe more of a fair result it's these type of wins that go a long way at the end of the season. It's easy enough to win games against opposition that is considered 'lesser' on paper when you're playing well, but it's the wins in these games where we struggled for a lot of the game which really matter point wise over 36 games. Again I feel we struggled in the middle of the park at times, with a lot of space in there for Ferry/ Paton to work in, however we've done really well to grind out a win over the piece and our start to this season has been simply outstanding.
Stenny look no better/ worse than half the teams in this division in my opinion and I think they'll be in a very tight group of 4/5/6 teams in the middle/ lower part of the table.
Overall while it was a distinctly average performance we got the points which really is all that matters - I'd go as far to say as our strength in depth won us that, if we'd not been able to bring quality players in off the bench to change it up we'd have continued to huff and puff through the second half and have had to settle for a point.
Getting the 3 points really makes this feel like the best 17th birthday I've ever had [emoji4]

17th anniversary of you entering the rooms surely? #techno

must of been a tough paper round then simon. but agree with your summary of todays game far to much room given to stenny in midfield.we were so of it in the first half with long balls from defence most of the time losing possesion with nothing coming from midfield and strikers struggling. but 3 points is what its all about so well done lads

Fair play to Arbroath, they were the better of the two teams and deserved the win. I thought the match was heading for a draw until Ryan McCord got a lovely give-and-go on the edge of the area and controlled his shot into the bottom corner. As "Smokerson" above me writes, the depth the Lichties have will be the envy of most other teams; McCord would walk into most League 1 sides.
Stenhousemuir started quite well and looked lively, Harry Paton and Seb Ross linking well on occasion and big Mark McGuigan making his presence felt, but they didn't do much with their good play. Neither did Arbroath when they got the ball and it was unusual to see Bobby Linn so subdued - other than two mishit free-kicks, he had little impact in the match. Omar Kader, on the other flank, did even less.
I can't quite remember what happened but all of a sudden an Arbroath defender was on his backside and McGuigan was through on goal, placing a cute finish beyond Darren Jamieson. The Lichties finished the half strongly, hitting the post from the edge of the area and winning a flurry of corners. The half-time whistle was a relief.
They started the second half the same way they finished the first and their pressure eventually forced Ruaridh Donaldson into a handball inside the box - which everyone other than the referee spotted, until he was convinced otherwise - and Ryan Wallace fired level. Stenny had two decent chances to move back ahead, McGuigan heading Connor Duthie's good cross wide and Alan Cook  failing to make the most of Kieran Gibbons's gorgeous chipped pass, before McCord struck the decisive blow.
It's telling that Arbroath won without playing especially well today and, dare I say it, a sign of champions. They're a very good side, from back to front, with well-stocked reserves. I liked Wallace and Gavin Swankie in attack, they're a tricky pair and they complement each other well.
Stenhousemuir weren't fantastic but they competed well and gave Arbroath something to think about. It was good to see the return of the Mark Ferry-Harry Paton axis in the middle of the part. Ferry, who tired before his substitution, used the ball well and didn't waste a pass while Paton was good in possession, always looking to glide forward. There were times when his final ball let him down but when he's up to speed and in tune with his team-mates, he'll be on fire. It's disappointing to find ourselves bottom of the table but there's the quality there to pull us away.
A final word on Mike Roncone, the referee: rubbish.

Just noticed your comment on Omar, he’s been like that for a good few weeks now, not a clue how he has kept his place I think DC is old school and keeps it the same if the side keeps winning but he needs to come out for me. Get Gold or Danny Denholm in there from the start please.

After seeing the goals back it was very unfortunate for Ricky, like he just lost his footing a bit and ball bobbled under his foot.

Hamilton’s pass and Swankies control to win the penalty was superb. Don’t see how anyone could argue that penalty decision, seen a few elsewhere. Clear as you like.

Putting Swankie uptop isn’t something that’s happened since Dumbarton in the play off. Worked a treat.

Mckennas game is running in behind and getting us up the park, and playing in the space between the midfield and strikers. Well yesterday none of that could happen, small bouncy pitch with the wind the ball over the top just went flying out and the game was scrappy as anything in the centre of the park. Swanks and Wallace worked better as both took it into feet and done that instead. Wasn’t a game for McKenna and I would probably go with Swankie uptop again next time we play at Ochilview.

In hindsight, tough tough conditions against a battling side and we came through, very pleasing.

yesterdays game to me summed up how dick rates hester rather than put him on he moves swankie up front . so no more of this nonsense about hester being an impact sub

Yes crazy move considering Swankie has never played upfront in his career before....?

Yesterday wasn’t a game for Hester to come on, so easy to see that. There was no space in behind, balls were bouncing away out the park, Swankie going up top took it into feet very well and brought the midfield into the game, same with Wallace.

It’s not nonsense about Hester being an impact sub either, he’s come off the bench and scored in a lot of games. You always seem to have a pop at a striker every week...

swankie now is a midfield player simple as that my point is you have a striker who has done well in games on the bench but dont put him on

Swankie is a football player, he can still play upfront.

It’s obvious why Kane never came on, strikers yesterday needed to take it into feet and create things, probably why McKenna struggled and why Kane never came on.

If we had had balls bouncing about the box second half Kane probably would’ve got off the bench

The change worked a treat yesterday and also think Dick got his subs correct which doesn’t happen often. I would play Swankie up top any day of the week ahead of Hester and especially the way the game was heading yesterday. 

I actually don’t think Hester, graham, Denholm can complain one bit about not playing from the start. They’ve played in most Cup games and juts not showed enough. Kader needs replaced ASAP though, I’m a fan of his work rate but it’s just not happening for him, get Smith or gold in next week.

The change worked a treat yesterday and also think Dick got his subs correct which doesn’t happen often. I would play Swankie up top any day of the week ahead of Hester and especially the way the game was heading yesterday. 
I actually don’t think Hester, graham, Denholm can complain one bit about not playing from the start. They’ve played in most Cup games and juts not showed enough. Kader needs replaced ASAP though, I’m a fan of his work rate but it’s just not happening for him, get Smith or gold in next week.

It will be Denholm for Omar next week I reckon. That will be his opportunity to nail down a starting spot

so a sad state of affairs then we have strikers on the bench depending on the surface cant take a ball into feet ffs

No, you have some players who are better at doing it than others. Hester is better than Swankie at some things too, running with the ball, running in behind and sniffing out a chance. Everyone has different strengths?

Archived