Stenhousemuir vs Arbroath

I imagine we’ll go unchanged here, although I’d have Denholm or Gold in for Kader. Seen Stenny fans criticising the performances of Alan Reid, so getting an on-song Bobby Linn up against him should see us get some joy there. Looking forward to the trip, haven’t been to Ochilview since the dark days of Todd Lumsden and co.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we wanna go one defensive one attacking get Gold right wing. Omar has went off the boil a bit since the EF game in my opinion. We have a strong squad so get it used. Think Gold and Thomson could be some force going down the right too both good defensively and Golds tekkerz plus Thomson just powering boys out the way on overlap could be class.

Jamieson

Thomson
Little
ToB
Hammy

Gold
Whatley
Swankie
Linn

McKenna
Wallace

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Tricky game today. McGuigan being back is a big bonus for them. Be interesting to see this boy Paton as well, Stenny fans rave about him

I'm raging he hasn't been given more of a chance at county. 

I wasn't able to make it up to Dingwall today so I'm going to wander along and take this in. 

Worst we have been in that first half,  Again Midfield was overrun and cut through to often, 

Better in second half without even being great, no stand outs at all, McCord was good when he come on, 

Runcorn is still an idiot, he didn’t look like he was giving the penalty, the 2 challenges on Hammy not worth Booking,  and giving foul against Linn for a high foot when boy ducked head down, but not when there defender about kicked Swankie head off 

Another game where we were far from our best but somehow find a way to win. Two things evident today, 1. Our brilliant character and resolve to come back from 1 nil down and 2. The quality to come on from our bench, McCord and Denholm are great subs to come on and would play in most other teams starting 11.

Fair play to Arbroath, they were the better of the two teams and deserved the win. I thought the match was heading for a draw until Ryan McCord got a lovely give-and-go on the edge of the area and controlled his shot into the bottom corner. As "Smokerson" above me writes, the depth the Lichties have will be the envy of most other teams; McCord would walk into most League 1 sides.

Stenhousemuir started quite well and looked lively, Harry Paton and Seb Ross linking well on occasion and big Mark McGuigan making his presence felt, but they didn't do much with their good play. Neither did Arbroath when they got the ball and it was unusual to see Bobby Linn so subdued - other than two mishit free-kicks, he had little impact in the match. Omar Kader, on the other flank, did even less.

I can't quite remember what happened but all of a sudden an Arbroath defender was on his backside and McGuigan was through on goal, placing a cute finish beyond Darren Jamieson. The Lichties finished the half strongly, hitting the post from the edge of the area and winning a flurry of corners. The half-time whistle was a relief.

They started the second half the same way they finished the first and their pressure eventually forced Ruaridh Donaldson into a handball inside the box - which everyone other than the referee spotted, until he was convinced otherwise - and Ryan Wallace fired level. Stenny had two decent chances to move back ahead, McGuigan heading Connor Duthie's good cross wide and Alan Cook  failing to make the most of Kieran Gibbons's gorgeous chipped pass, before McCord struck the decisive blow.

It's telling that Arbroath won without playing especially well today and, dare I say it, a sign of champions. They're a very good side, from back to front, with well-stocked reserves. I liked Wallace and Gavin Swankie in attack, they're a tricky pair and they complement each other well.

Stenhousemuir weren't fantastic but they competed well and gave Arbroath something to think about. It was good to see the return of the Mark Ferry-Harry Paton axis in the middle of the part. Ferry, who tired before his substitution, used the ball well and didn't waste a pass while Paton was good in possession, always looking to glide forward. There were times when his final ball let him down but when he's up to speed and in tune with his team-mates, he'll be on fire. It's disappointing to find ourselves bottom of the table but there's the quality there to pull us away.

A final word on Mike Roncone, the referee: rubbish.

Thought we were shite first half, never adjusted to conditions at all, the wind at our back actually hampered us. Second half against the wind we played a lot more football and obviously had a rocket up the arse at half time.

Awful goal to lose, we had some decent chances in the first half Wallace really unlucky twice. Linn and McKenna were below their usual and the subs DC made were actually good ones. Never agree with taking Bobby off but he had the guts to do it and paid off.

Could’ve scored a few more second half too was desperate for a third to kill it off at the end.

Stenny really awkward to play against, especially on that park, McGuigan great finish even though it was gifted to him and he had Ross and Paton buzzing about him. Don’t think the 2 players in the middle of the park for either team made a pass in that first half.

Delighted to get the win and McCord with a great finish, right in the corner cool as you like to win it.

Think the stand should’ve been opened too barely any seats.

I felt we deserved a point today but its been the same story this season and last. We don’t create or score enough goals. However if we continue to play like that I can’t believe we will be anywhere near the bottom, but we must start picking up points when we are playing well before we get to used to losing.

Arbroath are going to be tough to beat this season I think.

Archived