Morton home win vs Dunfermline

Terrible performance today. Buchanan and Johnstone the only ones to get pass marks I think. Buchanan's best game for us and just as well because the rest of the defence had their poorest game(s) of the season. Dunfermline's goal was a carbon copy of the chance a couple of minutes before when Ryan blootered it over the bar. That wasn't the first occasion that a ball between Kilday and Tumilty too easily turned our defence.

Midfield was anonymous until Telfer came on who at least added a bit of urgency. McAllister and Tidser, set up as they were today, are completely ineffective. 

Until the last 10 minutes we just did not move the ball quickly enough or play on decent areas of the park. 

Absolutely dreadful mistake from Robinson for the goal was a get out of jail free card but he did have a very good stop from Iredale in the first half. Apart from that both keepers were pretty much bystanders.

Will definitely need to improve massively to take anything from Ayr next week and make a sustained push for the playoffs.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, virginton said:

Clearly a lot of work for Johannson to do going by that performance, but you have to wonder about people who were raving about the club choosing an inexperienced, different option ten days ago and are furious that he hasn’t worked out our best starting eleven yet. I’d treat the rest of the quarter as a bedding-in period for the management team - apart from losing to Falkirk, which must be treated as a sackable offence.

That's right and he'll get that time... but it's got to be a worry that he's looking at the squad we have and thinking '4-4-2'. He gets a free pass today on the basis that Millar was injured, making it a lot easier to stick with the 4-4-2 from last week, but it doesn't look like producing many goals or even chances, makes it very difficult for us to control games for any extended period, and (as has been said by a few) doesn't get the best out of the guy who has been our best player so far this season. 

Might take him a while to work out his best starting eleven, but it shouldn't take him too long to see we need to go with three in the centre of the park, home and away. Alternative -- dare I say it -- is to set up the way we often set up under Duffy; these players might do better at that than last year's squad.

29 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

That's right and he'll get that time... but it's got to be a worry that he's looking at the squad we have and thinking '4-4-2'. He gets a free pass today on the basis that Millar was injured, making it a lot easier to stick with the 4-4-2 from last week, but it doesn't look like producing many goals or even chances, makes it very difficult for us to control games for any extended period, and (as has been said by a few) doesn't get the best out of the guy who has been our best player so far this season. 

Might take him a while to work out his best starting eleven, but it shouldn't take him too long to see we need to go with three in the centre of the park, home and away. Alternative -- dare I say it -- is to set up the way we often set up under Duffy; these players might do better at that than last year's squad.

Don't agree he gets a pass on switching to 442 when he could have done a straight swap Telfer for Millar and kept the midfield trio that's been so effective. He'll also need to learn that McHugh is best when coming off the bench. Gary Oliver should be starting too.

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

Don't agree he gets a pass on switching to 442 when he could have done a straight swap Telfer for Millar and kept the midfield trio that's been so effective. He'll also need to learn that McHugh is best when coming off the bench. Gary Oliver should be starting too.

He didn't switch it to 4-4-2; that switch was made at Firhill at the beginning of the month by Derek Anderson when Johnstone was brought in to play up front alongside McHugh. Johannson selected an unchanged side at Tannadice last weekend - which he stated was a 4-4-2 in the post match interview - and made only a change of personnel for today's game due to Millar's absence.

It's clearly not the best setup for the squad but that is what he inherited from the gormless caretaker staff and is not something that he just 'switched to' after seeing the players in training.  

1 minute ago, virginton said:

He didn't switch it to 4-4-2; that switch was made at Firhill at the beginning of the month by Derek Anderson when Johnstone was brought in to play up front alongside McHugh. Johannson selected an unchanged side at Tannadice last weekend - which he stated was a 4-4-2 in the post match interview - and made only a change of personnel for today's game due to Millar's absence.

It's clearly not the best setup for the squad but that is what he inherited from the gormless caretaker staff and is not something that he just 'switched to' after seeing the players in training.  

That is true. He does have the personnel to play a stronger team though. As your say he deserves a bit of time to get there. 

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Again I'll ask, what's with the name?

Is the idea of children being abducted and murdered something you are interested in?

Do you relate to the character?

I do not like what your name implies at all.

Shut up you absolute c**t

33 minutes ago, virginton said:

46 minutes ago, GiGi said:

That is true. He does have the personnel to play a stronger team though. As your say he deserves a bit of time to get there. 

Nah, we didn't line up in a 4-4-2 at Firhill... McHugh was very much on the left, McLean on the right. The middle three got pulled side to side by Thistle, who had clearly been told to do that, and got very little protection on the flanks, especially on the left. Clear that just isn't going to work with McHugh there, but Johansson has reacted by pushing him right up top with Johnstone and leaving us with a two in the centre. The personnel at Tannadice was the same, the shape different. On the limited evidence we've seen, he likes a 4-4-2.

The players we have suit a 4-5-1 out of possession, shifting to 4-3-3 on the ball. Or a Duffy-style 4-4-1-1, with only one out-and-out wide player, the other three shuffling across when the winger (McLean) gets forward, with Telfer/Oliver in behind Johnstone (and dropping into midfield when we don't have the ball). He needs to go with one of the above, at least until we can add one or two players that might give him different options.

That's not a criticism of a guy who has been a manager for less than two weeks, but it's a fact.

2 hours ago, GiGi said:

Agree with that; he could/should have brought Telfer in, but Millar's absence did make it easier for him to go for his first instinct.

10 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Have a wee Google and come back

I'll ask, what's with the name?

Is the idea of children being psychologically and physically abused until they bleed by their own parents something you're interested in?

Do you relate to the person?

It's almost as if making inferences about a person's character based on using someone or something from popular culture as a username on the internet is fucking ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I'll ask, what's with the name?

Is the idea of children being psychologically and physically abused until they bleed by their own parents something you're interested in?

Do you relate to the person?

It's almost as if making inferences about a person's character based on using someone or something from popular culture as a username on the internet is fucking ridiculous.

What does my user name imply? Are you having a breakdown?

It is not  ridiculous at all to suggest his username implies that is what he is into. He has chosen that name and picture as a representation of him (or her)

I think it suggest alot, and is disgusting.

You think what you want

4 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

What does my user name imply? Are you having a breakdown?

It is not  ridiculous at all to suggest his username implies that is what he is into. He has chosen that name and picture as a representation of him (or her)

I think it suggest alot, and is disgusting.

You think what you want

Bing Crosby beat his own children. You've chosen that name and a picture of him to represent you. Does this imply that you are into violence against children?

No, of course it doesn't, just as you making accusations of someone being interested in abducting children because they've chosen the username Slenderman is ridiculous.

Pack it in and talk about football.

On that note, I saw @Salvo Montalbanoasked at HT about the pitch. It's deteriorated badly due to having so many games played on it - our reserves and various Celtic youth teams all use it as well as the first team with 50+ games a season being played there. The reputation it had for being the best grass pitch in the country was what led to other sides wanting to use it, with the occasional Scotland youth game and training session there as well, but now we've had a few years of that regular use it's shown the limitations of grass. No idea how much money we make from renting it out, but we could really do with getting rid of Celtic to let it recover.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Bing Crosby beat his own children. You've chosen that name and a picture of him to represent you. Does this imply that you are into violence against children?

No, of course it doesn't, just as you making accusations of someone being interested in abducting children because they've chosen the username Slenderman is ridiculous.

Pack it in and talk about football.

On that note, I saw @Salvo Montalbanoasked at HT about the pitch. It's deteriorated badly due to having so many games played on it - our reserves and various Celtic youth teams all use it as well as the first team with 50+ games a season being played there. The reputation it had for being the best grass pitch in the country was what led to other sides wanting to use it, with the occasional Scotland youth game and training session there as well, but now we've had a few years of that regular use it's shown the limitations of grass. No idea how much money we make from renting it out, but we could really do with getting rid of Celtic to let it recover.

I was not aware of Bing Crosby doing anything like that tbh.

In fairness Bing Crosby is known for singing. Where as that character is specifically about the abduction and killing of children. So it is fair to assume that's why they have chosen this as this is what they like.

If my username and picture were say jimmy Saville or Fred West would that be acceptable to you? Of course it wouldnt.

I'm waiting for an answer from the person as to why they have chosen to represent themselves as a child abducter and murderer in this forum.

If you want to continue to defend them that's fine, it's an open forum.

And I'll continue to ask any question, or talk about whatever I wish to. 

Yesterday was a much improved performance from us so, although a bit disappointing we didn't get the win, that is a plus in itself. 

That said, while I felt we were on top for much of it - particularly for the first 25 minutes or so of the second half - we still didn't work the goalkeeper enough. We got ourselves into some decent areas but whether it was taking a touch too many, the final delivery or what have you, Scully wasn't called into action much. By contrast, although Morton themselves didn't pressure too much, Robinson was needed to make an excellent save in the first half.

It was a good finish by Andy Ryan but I thought for maybe 5-10 minutes before Morton's goal, we were starting to sit a little bit deeper and it invited them on to us. I think we could've done with some fresh legs on in there, but what can you do about the goal? It's a big error from the goalkeeper; he should save that shot, simple as that.

I thought then Morton started to look a bit more threatening (was surprised at how comfortable things seemed to be at back for us for much of it) so a bit of mixed emotions there. Would've taken a point before the game, but happier with the display than I have been in recent matches. Still lacking a cutting edge though.

I thought Connolly had a decent game after being given a start, and Martin looked decent in the middle of the park, even though I thought he looked like was beginning to tire second half, but we need to create more.

4 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I was not aware of Bing Crosby doing anything like that tbh.

In fairness Bing Crosby is known for singing. Where as that character is specifically about the abduction and killing of children. So it is fair to assume that's why they have chosen this as this is what they like.

If my username and picture were say jimmy Saville or Fred West would that be acceptable to you? Of course it wouldnt.

I'm waiting for an answer from the person as to why they have chosen to represent themselves as a child abducter and murderer in this forum.

If you want to continue to defend them that's fine, it's an open forum.

And I'll continue to ask any question, or talk about whatever I wish to. 

Shut up you c**t

Archived