Partick v Queens

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Thought first half Marshall was given licence to go forward and hen he does Stirling was supposed to fall back into left back.

Too many fancy flicks from Harkins that never came off and at end he was a passenger - Murray or Norman would have been better in last 15mins. Dykes won a number of headers but need believe to hit shots earlier and harder instead of trying to lay them off

Stirling did cover for Marshall, and Jacobs, for the first half hour... then he forgot.

Completely agree about the flicks and lack of shots. Dykes (and a few others) always seem to try and see where Dobbie is rather than taking a shot themselves. Obviously this has worked plenty of times this season but when Dobbie isn't an option it's often too late as the defenders are on top of them by the time they look for an alternative 

21 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Your daily reminder that Alan Martin’s father crosses picket lines and is a member of an extremist, sectarian,  protestant supremacist organisation.

Well thanks for that.

It`s a well known fact that children are fully responsible for the actions of their parents.

Thought that was a pretty brutal game, to be honest (Spittal’s second aside). I was thinking we’d be in for a long afternoon when Dobbie scored so early. Down Christie’s side for the umpteenth time this season. He’s been utterly brutal. Luckily we have plenty of backup at RB so he can be dropped for a while... Luckily we got back into the game (twice) and then the first and only real moment of quality ended up being that which settled the game.

Was delighted to see Bannigan back, and thought he was excellent. Marshalled the midfield well, and was exactly what we’ve been missing over the last 18 months.

Harkins was utterly atrocious, don’t think he made one successful pass in the whole game. Was worse than a man down. Dobbie just looks several levels above any player in this division. No wonder Queens try and play everything through him. Seemed to tire at the end, but still looked the only real threat.

Probably a fair result in the end, but massive improvement still needed from Thistle.

29 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Your daily reminder that Alan Martin’s father crosses picket lines and is a member of an extremist, sectarian,  protestant supremacist organisation.

And that has got exactly what to do with the game today? We don't need a daily reminder that you are a twat.

Fair point. In the 2nd half Queens had much more possession and a shedload of corners, but nothing clear cut. It never looked like a Queens cross was going to result in a goal, with only a Dykes header tipped over and a Harkins corner that nearly went straight in even threatening. 
In contrast Thistle looked like scoring on a fair few breakaways, especially hitting the post and then Storey getting caught in two minds at the death. 
Queens starting the time wasting tactics after 20 mins was embarrassing!

As regards the time wasting this is totally unacceptable and I would really like our Manager to explain if he condones this nonsense or whether it is individual players who embark on this off their own back?

Either way this action speaks volumes - it makes a really big negative statement(s) ..........we want the game to end now, we think you are better than us and rather than try and get a 2 goal lead we will just try and spoil the flow of play to take the sting out of things.

Whatever it set out to achieve it certainly didn’t work and to be brutally honest it doesn’t deserve to work.

3 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

As regards the time wasting this is totally unacceptable and I would really like our Manager to explain if he condones this nonsense or whether it is individual players who embark on this off their own back?

Either way this action speaks volumes - it makes a really big negative statement(s) ..........we want the game to end now, we think you are better than us and rather than try and get a 2 goal lead we will just try and spoil the flow of play to take the sting out of things.

Whatever it set out to achieve it certainly didn’t work and to be brutally honest it doesn’t deserve to work.

100% agree.

It must be coming from the manager because it seemed to be every player. It was every goal kick, throw-in and free-kick in our own half whilst ahead. Really frustrating for both sets of fans 

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

We had a header where Bell managed to tip it over, we had a corner almost go directly in and then Thistle managed to eventually clear the danger and we had a shot from Dobbie blocked, which had it not been I fully expect the power would have taken it in. 

So...

A straightforward tip over the bar, a wee screw up by the goalie (dealt with), an a shot that didn't reach the goal that YOU are convinced would have gone in (if everyone just let it).

THAT'S your evidence?

So...
A straightforward tip over the bar, a wee screw up by the goalie (dealt with), an a shot that didn't reach the goal that YOU are convinced would have gone in (if everyone just let it).
THAT'S your evidence?
Evidence of chances where a goal might have come? Well, yes. I'm not suggesting they were great chances. It was in response to someone saying they couldn't recall any times where they thought we might score. When the ball broke to Dobbie in the box I'm pretty sure a few Thistle fans would have been thinking the worst. Similarly with the scramble.

We never created many clear cut chances but to say there weren't a couple of hairy moments at the back for Thistle isn't the case either.

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Lol wut? The first half you bossed possession and passed it around really quite well. You only created 3 chances though, or arguably 2 as Spittal's goal wasn't really created it was a cracking strike from nowhere. We created 2 and scored both. So both sides were equally clinical in front of goal. The second half you barely got out of your own half but we failed to create much. Had we got a point at the death I don't think any rational Thistle fan could have had any complaints.

To say you were "comfortably" the better side is just ludicrous.

In the first half we also had a great little 1-2 move from the right touchline and in general we controlled possession, as you admit.  I don't really see how you can disqualify our 3rd goal for being too far away and claim that despite losing 3-2 at HT, the sides were "equally clinical".

In the second half, Doolan (I think) hit the inside of your post, Spittal had two shots from the edge of the box, one of which had beaten the keeper and hit the side netting, and Storey was also clean through but sclaffed his shot.  So, if by "barely got out your own half" in the second half you meant "created four further clear chances, one of which was about two inches from going in" then you're spot on.  We sat back, sure, but for once, looked pretty comfortable in doing so.  We were definitely the better team.

A good exciting game to watch if you are a neutral observer. For Queen's fans, two fine strikes by Mr Dobbie, Stirling and Marshall not bothered with their full back, a great strike for a Thistle goal, a great tackle by Semple at the end and a decent second half.  My moans, why can't we take a corner kick, why do we not score headed goals when Dykes wins every thing in the air. I'm a big fan of our manager but why hook Stirling and not Harkins, whose flicks were not coming off today. I'm really enjoying the effort we put into our games and a big thanks to our support who stayed with the team at least till just before the end.  I did find it strange that we were slowing down the play in the first half a general trend I see in the game, OK in the last 15 mins when ahead but not in the first half.  We could have done with those minutes at the end.

That' s myfirst visit toFirhill I really enjoyed the old ground and the pitch looked immaculate.

Always have to chuckle a bit when time wasting by a team in the lead is mentioned.  I agree that Martin wasn't busting a gut at goal kicks,  etc,  but it may have had as much to do with trying to break up the flow of play when your under pressure to upset the rhythm of the game than actually running down the clock.  Cammy Bell wasn't exactly rushing to get the ball back into play when Thistle were leading and under a bit of pressure in the second half as evidenced by the Ref giving him a warning. 

12 hours ago, Nightmare said:

For Queens, there seemed to be a huge gap between the LB and CB on the left side all game, which we were just passing/running into at will. In contrast, every time Storey tried to run down the left wing with it, they had about four guys swarming that area. I'm assuming this was deliberate due to being terrified of Storey's pace, but when it left the other side repeatedly exposed, it seems a bizarre idea. I feared the worst after the start, but if you can shut down Dobbie (easier said than done) like we did for large parts of the game, you completely nullify that team.

Aye I really haven't got the hang of what the manager is telling Jordan Marshall, and Josh Todd to do. The manager pointed out in his post match interview that Jordan was out of position for their second - ay he got caught out wide and let their winger run through the channel inside. But on umpteen occasions he was way upfield with josh Todd playing the most defensively (and as a result poorly) that I've seen. Granted Marshall hasa bit of pace, but I'd much prefer so see him sharpen up on his defensive duties and leave carving open defences to Todd and the likes.

But I still think the key issue is whatever the relative merits of the back 4 as defenders, as a whole they play nowhere near good enough as a unit. That needs an experienced organiser and I don't think we have that.

6 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Always have to chuckle a bit when time wasting by a team in the lead is mentioned.  I agree that Martin wasn't busting a gut at goal kicks,  etc,  but it may have had as much to do with trying to break up the flow of play when your under pressure to upset the rhythm of the game than actually running down the clock.  Cammy Bell wasn't exactly rushing to get the ball back into play when Thistle were leading and under a bit of pressure in the second half as evidenced by the Ref giving him a warning. 

We were managing the game in the first half Thistle in the second just my moan about a general trend to manage too soon in a game evidenced by us needing the time at the end

7 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

Aye I really haven't got the hang of what the manager is telling Jordan Marshall, and Josh Todd to do. The manager pointed out in his post match interview that Jordan was out of position for their second - ay he got caught out wide and let their winger run through the channel inside. But on umpteen occasions he was way upfield with josh Todd playing the most defensively (and as a result poorly) that I've seen. Granted Marshall hasa bit of pace, but I'd much prefer so see him sharpen up on his defensive duties and leave carving open defences to Todd and the likes.

But I still think the key issue is whatever the relative merits of the back 4 as defenders, as a whole they play nowhere near good enough as a unit. That needs an experienced organiser and I don't think we have that.

this back four are well capable of getting clean sheets but if we want the full backs to play as wing backs then we need 3 at the back. Me I think we are better with the 4 but not neglecting the defensive duties. Today Thistle had a proper Wing Back and we could not cope with him in the first half although they pulled him back in the second to defend their lead

7 minutes ago, baw heid said:

We were managing the game in the first half Thistle in the second just my moan about a general trend to manage too soon in a game evidenced by us needing the time at the end

Agreed, but my point was more directed at the fans who moan when the opposition apparently time waste and accept it's OK when their own team do it. And "game managing" doesn't always mean time wasting but can be tactically breaking up the flow of the game to upset the rhythm of the opposition. It can happen in a lot of sports not just football. 

4 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Agreed, but my point was more directed at the fans who moan when the opposition apparently time waste and accept it's OK when their own team do it. And "game managing" doesn't always mean time wasting but can be tactically breaking up the flow of the game to upset the rhythm of the opposition. It can happen in a lot of sports not just football. 

I agree with you its just that I don' like it too early when you might need the time later  just a general moan I have more importantly  why can we not take corner kicks especially when Mr Harkins is soo good with free kicks?

Archived