Partick v Queens

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, baw heid said:

That' s myfirst visit toFirhill I really enjoyed the old ground and the pitch looked immaculate.

A good day out. Plenty of banter in bar under the stand prematch. If you are in early you can get a seat that gives an unobscured view of the pitch but those dammed poles always seemed to be in the way. Plenty of leg room. Good atmosphere and support from fans. Pitch looked in perfect condition. Only negative would be the toilets - and I thought Palmerston was bad.

Couldn't help looking at stand opposite us, how much would something like this cost to build?

6 minutes ago, queenslad said:

A good day out. Plenty of banter in bar under the stand prematch. If you are in early you can get a seat that gives an unobscured view of the pitch but those dammed poles always seemed to be in the way. Plenty of leg room. Good atmosphere and support from fans. Pitch looked in perfect condition. Only negative would be the toilets - and I thought Palmerston was bad.

Couldn't help looking at stand opposite us, how much would something like this cost to build?

That stand cost a bloody fortune to build. All because of the ridiculous old 10000 seater SPL rule. Nearly destroyed the club.

8 Dobbies

Good to see Spittal getting praised for his input in the game because myself included gave him abuse last season for his attitude in most games not being right. Hopefully we can turn the corner now and as already mentioned we desperately need to sort out the RB situation

A good exciting game to watch if you are a neutral observer. For Queen's fans, two fine strikes by Mr Dobbie, Stirling and Marshall not bothered with their full back, a great strike for a Thistle goal, a great tackle by Semple at the end and a decent second half.  My moans, why can't we take a corner kick, why do we not score headed goals when Dykes wins every thing in the air. I'm a big fan of our manager but why hook Stirling and not Harkins, whose flicks were not coming off today. I'm really enjoying the effort we put into our games and a big thanks to our support who stayed with the team at least till just before the end.  I did find it strange that we were slowing down the play in the first half a general trend I see in the game, OK in the last 15 mins when ahead but not in the first half.  We could have done with those minutes at the end.
That' s myfirst visit toFirhill I really enjoyed the old ground and the pitch looked immaculate.
Just a couple of things. It was Todd with the second and we played yesterday [emoji14]

I fully agree with your point about corners. At one point yesterday we won a corner and our support got naturally excited. I said I didn't know why we got into such a state because we never looked like scoring from one all day. Harkins' freak one was probably the only way it was coming. Absolutely appalling deliveries all game. We're usually bad at defending them, perhaps we could work on the attacking side as well. The fact it never seems to be the same taker as well suggests they are a bit of a free for all.

2 hours ago, colliedug said:

Good to see Spittal getting praised for his input in the game because myself included gave him abuse last season for his attitude in most games not being right. Hopefully we can turn the corner now and as already mentioned we desperately need to sort out the RB situation

Thought your number 8 was excellent. Scruffy bugger but he kept the attacks ticking over with simple football.

sorry pal don’t know his name.

Thought your number 8 was excellent. Scruffy bugger but he kept the attacks ticking over with simple football.
Stuart Bannigan thats his first start for a long time he's been plagued with injury for the last 2 years hopefully thats him back for good now

1 hour ago, colliedug said:
2 hours ago, SueSue said:

Stuart Bannigan thats his first start for a long time he's been plagued with injury for the last 2 years hopefully thats him back for good now

2 years out with injuries !!! Good luck to the lad.

enjoyed watching him

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Just a couple of things. It was Todd with the second and we played yesterday emoji14.png

I fully agree with your point about corners. At one point yesterday we won a corner and our support got naturally excited. I said I didn't know why we got into such a state because we never looked like scoring from one all day. Harkins' freak one was probably the only way it was coming. Absolutely appalling deliveries all game. We're usually bad at defending them, perhaps we could work on the attacking side as well. The fact it never seems to be the same taker as well suggests they are a bit of a free for all.

Thanks for that.Must have been a pole in the way.

Very much a game of two halves, given that at half-time it seemed like it would end about 8-7, and in the second they may as well not have bothered.  Really feared for us when we spent 5 minutes barely giving Queens a touch, then letting them score with what was probably their 5th touch of the ball.  But neither side looked like they really fancied defending to be honest.

Bannigan's just brilliant.  Sorely missing a player that can do the simple things well.  Nothing particularly flashy from him, just playing the sensible short passes and stepping out if he needs to.  Desperately need him to stay fit, because it seems Big b*****d Brice is the backup.  Seems earlier in the thread there was disagreement, but I have to agree he looks like a bit of a disaster.  Enthusiastic, of course, but that seems about it.  I'm hoping he's just not quite up to speed yet (he looked alright in the second half of our last  home game after a shaky start) and he'll come good, but let's just keep Bannigan there.

The win papered over a few things though. We're still so predictable and pedestrian going forward.  I lost count of the number of times we had the ball, and only one person actually making any kind of move.  It's happening so often that I can only assume it's part of their instructions.  I'm no football manager, but I'm fairly sure that it's harder to pick up players if they're actually moving.  It affects Doolan too.  He's easily the best chance of a goal we have, but he's often coming deep to get the ball and play others in.  Quite good at it, but if he's just inside their half playing the ball off, he's not going to make it into the box on a quick break, and us slowing the game down just lets everyone get back into position to clear the danger.  If we can get someone to support him, and let him stay further forward, maybe we'll actually start regularly scoring again.  That'd be nice.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

The win papered over a few things though. We're still so predictable and pedestrian going forward.  

It's funny how people view things differently - I thought we were excellent from middle-to-front.

18 hours ago, colliedug said:

I thought it was his confidence than attitude after a decent start by Spittal which was also the case with some of the others. IMO the attitude problem was more from the likes of Barton, Osman etc

Very much a game of two halves, given that at half-time it seemed like it would end about 8-7, and in the second they may as well not have bothered.  Really feared for us when we spent 5 minutes barely giving Queens a touch, then letting them score with what was probably their 5th touch of the ball.  But neither side looked like they really fancied defending to be honest.
Bannigan's just brilliant.  Sorely missing a player that can do the simple things well.  Nothing particularly flashy from him, just playing the sensible short passes and stepping out if he needs to.  Desperately need him to stay fit, because it seems Big b*****d Brice is the backup.  Seems earlier in the thread there was disagreement, but I have to agree he looks like a bit of a disaster.  Enthusiastic, of course, but that seems about it.  I'm hoping he's just not quite up to speed yet (he looked alright in the second half of our last  home game after a shaky start) and he'll come good, but let's just keep Bannigan there.
The win papered over a few things though. We're still so predictable and pedestrian going forward.  I lost count of the number of times we had the ball, and only one person actually making any kind of move.  It's happening so often that I can only assume it's part of their instructions.  I'm no football manager, but I'm fairly sure that it's harder to pick up players if they're actually moving.  It affects Doolan too.  He's easily the best chance of a goal we have, but he's often coming deep to get the ball and play others in.  Quite good at it, but if he's just inside their half playing the ball off, he's not going to make it into the box on a quick break, and us slowing the game down just lets everyone get back into position to clear the danger.  If we can get someone to support him, and let him stay further forward, maybe we'll actually start regularly scoring again.  That'd be nice.

I actually think we did mix it up a bit on Saturday. For the 1st 20 mins or so , I agree we played pretty slowly side to side, forward, back again, repeat. But for the remainder of the half we really upped the speed and movement that resulted in 3 goals in 10 mins.

4 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

Couple of points from the highlights package and the QOS F.C. official match report.
1. How can a goal in the second minute be “against the run of play”?
2. Just how out of position was Jordan Marshall for their first?

Probably because, if I remember right, before the start of the move that led to the goal the only touch you'd had was a throw-in.  Granted, it's a cliche that doesn't strictly work in this case, but you can see why it was made.

5 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

Couple of points from the highlights package and the QOS F.C. official match report.
1. How can a goal in the second minute be “against the run of play”?
2. Just how out of position was Jordan Marshall for their first?

It was the 4th minute. And, other than a clearance from Scott Mercer to halfway earlier, Andy Stirling's touch when he took the ball down and set off on the run to set up Dobbie was our first touch of the game. It was completely against the run of play, and so was our 2nd. Thistle were all over us first half, especially down their right, our left side.

Archived