Aberdeen v Motherwell

3 minutes ago, Pepper said:

Thought we should have had a pen with the foul on Frear

Looked like Considine couldn’t have got much more of the ball from where I’m sitting, but I’ll wait to see a replay before saying anything categorical.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

I’d guess that’s still our usual formation with McHugh moving back to midfield.

I missed the start and have been intermittently watching a stream but it looks like a 442 diamond- Donnelly at right back, McHugh in front of the back 4 and Frear in behind the strikers. 

Been fairly dull from what I’ve seen with little in the way of chances, for us McHugh’s long range effort that clipped the bar is about the sum of our efforts. Challenge on Frear was inconclusive from the angles shown. 

Same problems as last week really, giving away a soft goal and nothing in the final third. Hard to see us getting anything out of this to be honest, just don’t see where the goals are going to come from this season.

Solid performance, decent game from Motherwell. Both teams will be top six imo. We're clearly struggling for goals, creativity, and a little guile/nuance. The defence is utterly rock solid with McKenna and Devlin in there though.

It wasn't a good game and we didn't play particularly well, but probably did just about enough to deserve the win. Motherwell, thankfully, had no real guile or cutting edge to their play. Shinnie was very good, and the defence was strong when called upon. Tuesday will be the bigger and more telling test of this current Aberdeen team, however. 

7 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

It wasn't a good game and we didn't play particularly well, but probably did just about enough to deserve the win. Motherwell, thankfully, had no real guile or cutting edge to their play. Shinnie was very good, and the defence was strong when called upon. Tuesday will be the bigger and more telling test of this current Aberdeen team, however. 

Well yeah but did you see how strong our bench looked?

Scrappy today. I don’t think there was any doubt we were going to win. Motm was Logan for me, rather than GMS - thought he was very good. Comfortable and did well going forward. Refereeing really inconsistent again, watching from the South Stand. Linesman was getting a hoorna amount of abuse...

Thought we started well but after the goal that was grim to watch. That 2nd half was just dreadful and you can see why both teams struggle to score goals.

Felt it was a pen in the first half for Motherwell although mate next to me said it was decent challenge from Considine.

Today 3 points was the most important and not the performance. Hopefully our injuries clear up very soon though as not much options on the bench.

Come out of that game pretty disappointed, partly because we lost obviously but also because it was a pretty dire spectacle. Tbf we can shoulder the majority of the responsibility for that, pretty much pumping aimless balls at Sammon for most of the match but I honestly thought it was pretty poor stuff from both teams.

Aberdeen deserve their win purely based on the goal being the only decent bit of play I can remember in the match. Lovely ball from McGinn and a good finish from Wilson, very good goal.

I thought at the time we should have had a penalty when Frear was brought down but the fact that I'd need to see it again to be sure would suggest I don't think we can blame the officials too much for not giving it.

We never really looked like scoring to be honest, particularly second half where we huffed and puffed but lacked any real quality in the final third. I'd give pass marks to Bigirimana though who looked like our only player who could potentially make things happen.

1 minute ago, Mr Hahn said:

Come out of that game pretty disappointed, partly because we lost obviously but also because it was a pretty dire spectacle. Tbf we can shoulder the majority of the responsibility for that, pretty much pumping aimless balls at Sammon for most of the match but I honestly thought it was pretty poor stuff from both teams.

Aberdeen deserve their win purely based on the goal being the only decent bit of play I can remember in the match. Lovely ball from McGinn and a good finish from Wilson, very good goal.

I thought at the time we should have had a penalty when Frear was brought down but the fact that I'd need to see it again to be sure would suggest I don't think we can blame the officials too much for not giving it.

We never really looked like scoring to be honest, particularly second half where we huffed and puffed but lacked any real quality in the final third. I'd give pass marks to Bigirimana though who looked like our only player who could potentially make things happen.

Penalty shout was hard to call even from replays. If there was a touch on the ball from Considine it was very slight, and colinear with the path of the ball, so no change in the rotation of the ball could be seen. That said, I don't think there was enough contact to call it a penalty anyway (Frear went down like a burst balloon).

Maybe just me - but I thought that was a genuinely dire game today  - Aberdeen scored early and didn't offer too much more, Motherwell didn't offer anything full stop. Add to that a very subdued crowd and a stop-start game played at a snail's pace and it wasn't really much for value for the bumper 26 quid entry...

For Aberdeen, I thought (as I usually do) that Shinnie was their best man - for us, it's hard to choose - McHugh was good again I thought and Bigi did some nice stuff, when we weren't aimlessly shelling it forward to no-one (or Connor Sammon as I believe he's known).

The fact is, when we don't play at "our" tempo and lack bite, the cupboard is pretty bare - we can only hope that we look more like it at Tynecastle on Wednesday...

First chance I've had to see the Dons in the flesh this season. Deserved win although far from a classic, not helped by the win conditions. We're definitely missing something this season. 

Wilson didn't do too much apart from his goal although we can reserve judgement until he's up to speed. He took his goal well and it's good to see him get off the mark so early. GMS was the main man going forward. Not everything came off for him but he was causing the Well defence some problems. McGinn was quiet but he played a lovely ball in for the goal which justifies his inclusion. Cosgrove put himself about and won headers without being particularly effective otherwise.  

Ball and Shinnie ran the midfield as a two fairly well, Shinnie in particular was impressive. In terms of defence, McKenna and Devlin were mostly solid and appear to have developed a good partnership. Logan had a good game whereas Consi was caught out a couple of times, the penalty shout in particular where he was the complete wrong side of the Well player. Lewis had a steady game, made an impressive save for a shot the was going wide anyway! Out of the subs, only Anderson really made an impact. He looked sharp and made a good flick to Cosgrove who was apparently offside. He also should have buried the chance on his left foot to make it 2-0.

Both sides less impressive than they were last season. Bigi was Well's most prominent player and looked to make things happen for them in midfield. Aside from hitting the bar in the first half and a good spell at the start of the second, I don't think they threatened us too much. By the looks of things they're missing the same creative spark that we are.

All in all, good to get the first home league win of the season. Looking forward to a sh*tfest at Easter Road on Tuesday night.

Other than a few little flashes from GMS and a very good goal, that was a fairly depressing spectacle.

Wilson timed his run to perfection and took his goal well - I have no faith any of our other strikers would have buried that. Considering how little football he has played in recent years, I thought Wilson showed promise today.

It was probably fitting that the only real piece of quality in the match was what secured the 3 points.

A very forgettable afternoon but a welcome 3 points with a bruising week ahead.

Not a great game but important 3 points. Thought Wilson took his goal well but did little else. Hopefully additional game time will help him contribute more. Logan was  best Dons player for me. Back 4 looked pretty solid all game. It’s final third that looks like where we are going to continue to struggle.

Archived