Aberdeen v Motherwell

Still 6 players missing for the dons - not much options but I think that Forrester won't play after his poor performance against St Johnstone and also think Cosgrove will play as he was excellent in the 2nd half.  Think we might play 2 up top tomorrow :o 

With our next league game against Celtic we really have to look to take 3 points here or the melt down will be fantastic!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/09/2018 at 21:32, Swello said:

I'm hoping that McInnes mimics last season and doesn't remember that he's got a better squad than us and continues to fanny about trying to match the physicality rather than playing his normal game. The game at Pittodrie last season was probably a bigger example of this than the Cup semi was - and co-incedentally was one of our best league performances of the season.

As frustrating as Saturday's game was, I'm far from downhearted about it - quite looking forward to this and I'll be heading up...

The problem with your first sentence is that McInnes' normal game is to try and match the opposition. We never play to our own strengths exclusively; they always focus on the opposition. I think that that is a sensible way to play (provided your scouting/understanding of the opposition is sound), however I think it needs to be tempered by your belief and focus on your own system. That's a thing McInnes needs to improve on; we need an identity as a club in order to move forward.

On 17/09/2018 at 17:06, Bob Mahelp said:

While at face value, all of that is true, I don't think there's been another point under McInnes in the last 5 years where we've been so weak up front....both in creating and taking chances.

Our recruitment in the summer was worse than piss poor. That's not panicking, it's just stating a fact. 

Agreed, the past two starts to the season have been extraordinarily poor, not necessarily in points haul, but in level of performance. Definitely not at panic stations yet, our defence will hold us in a strong position in most games, but we desperately need to start scoring goals again.

Lewis
Logan, Devlin, McKenna, Lowe 
McGinn, Gleeson, Shinnie, Mackay-Steven
Cosgrove, Wilson

I'd be happy with something like that, provided Wilson is fit enough to start. Wouldn't necessarily be opposed to trying a 4-3-3, but I'm not sure our available midfielders are best suited to it. 

Would like to see us going 2 up top today and would go with May and Anderson. Cosgrove just does not look like scoring for me and his physicality is not going work against a Well team who are usually a physically strong side. McInnes however will probably stick with 1 up front. 

Can see this being a close game again with few chances. 1-1 most likely outcome.

Guest Bob Mahelp

McInnes abandoning the safety first garbage and going for it today. 

Two up front with two wingers, and sicknote making his starting debut. 

It'll still be 1-1.

I'll go ahead and completely jinx wersels and say we're totally comfortable in this so far (Well shot off the bar aside). Should be coming out in the second half with more goals in mind, of course with a healthy respect for the fact that Motherwell are still in the game.

Archived