Aberdeen v Motherwell

From an AFC point of view......

Could be the first outing for what would seem our preferred back four of Logan-Devlin-McKenna-Lowe........proper balance and physicality there surely?

If Ferguson is back then the midfield is strengthened, as clearly Forrester is not impressing our manager.  Contrary to some, I don't mind Gleeson, and would still play him.

Then there's the upcoming explosion of James Wilson into Scottish football - but failing that, maybe a realisation that any permutation of two from Cosgrove-May-Anderson could yield something, especially in a home match.  Just don't play any of them as a lone striker any more.

Motherwell slapped us three times last season (tellingly two of them we were Shinnieless)...........given points dropped so far, and Parkheid the week after, very important to win this one.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Bob Mahelp
5 hours ago, betting competition said:

Far too much negative from Aberdeen fans at the moment but we really are not getting much luck with injuries at the moment. 8 players missing against St Johnstone and about half of them what be on the bench but any team outside Celtic would struggle to get results with nearly a team out injured/suspended.  I do think the time to judge how the season is going to go is when we have played everyone in the league but we do need to start getting results now. 

Noticed a tweet from Here we Go podcast

Aberdeen  Points after 5 games:

2013/14 - 7 points
2014/15 - 6 points
2015/16 - 15 points
2016/17 - 6 points
2017/18 - 13 points
2018/19  - 6 points

McInnes team are slow starters in the league so lets not panic just yet

While at face value, all of that is true, I don't think there's been another point under McInnes in the last 5 years where we've been so weak up front....both in creating and taking chances.

Our recruitment in the summer was worse than piss poor. That's not panicking, it's just stating a fact. 

5 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Contrary to some, I don't mind Gleeson, and would still play him.

He was poor against Rangers, but I also think he's done pretty well since then. He's been better than Shinnie, anyway, who has been mediocre since Turf Moor. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
52 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

He was poor against Rangers, but I also think he's done pretty well since then. He's been better than Shinnie, anyway, who has been mediocre since Turf Moor. 

I also quite like Gleeson.  I think he's doing a fairly decent job  in front of the defence, given how quickly our aimless punts to Stevie May come back.

He weirdly seems unable to play 90 minutes though.

I also quite like Gleeson.  I think he's doing a fairly decent job  in front of the defence, given how quickly our aimless punts to Stevie May come back.
He weirdly seems unable to play 90 minutes though.

Yup Gleeson is technically very neat and tidy and can do a job for sure. He rarely loses possession, always looks to offer angles, and seems to pop up in useful places to intercept/slow opponents. I think he would benefit from having more dynamic and energetic attacking players in beside him (Ferguson/Wright).
McInnes does seem to want to hook up at any opportunity bizarrely.

Guest Bob Mahelp
17 minutes ago, bpdon said:

Glad it’s not just me that’s picked up on that. Shinnie has been well below his own standards this season.

Trying too hard I think.

He's aware that outside GMS we've got very little....ooo aaaar missus....penetration. He sees it as his job to defend, play passes, hold the midfield together, set up attacks, and get into the box when he can.

Another decent striker/winger up front would make it much easier for Shinnie. 

Main out for this apparently, Carson and Rose both doubts as well. 
Three of the first names on the team sheet for Robinson, Gillespie for Carson is straightforward enough but it’ll be interesting to see how he re-jigs things elsewhere.

Campbell moved into Rose’s role and Cadden in for Campbell.

Interested to see if he goes for Sammon or Bowman to replace Main.

Gillespie
Aldred McHugh Hartley
Tait Cadden Campbell Bigirimana ATS
Johnson Sammon

...would be my guess.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Campbell moved into Rose’s role and Cadden in for Campbell.

Interested to see if he goes for Sammon or Bowman to replace Main.

Gillespie
Aldred McHugh Hartley
Tait Cadden Campbell Bigirimana ATS
Johnson Sammon

...would be my guess.

I'd like to see Bowman and Johnson getting a run out together  from the start as I think they could be a decent partnership

18 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'd like to see Bowman and Johnson getting a run out together  from the start as I think they could be a decent partnership

I get the feeling that Sammon's probably seen as being 'like for like' for Main. Robinson seems to quite like the idea of Bowman as an option off the bench.

Without necessarily being a dig at anyone it would beg the question of 'what's the point in Conor Sammon?' if he's fit but not starting when Main's unavailable.

I'm also wondering if A-Rod might be viewed as a possible stand-in for Rose.

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I get the feeling that Sammon's probably seen as being 'like for like' for Main. Robinson seems to quite like the idea of Bowman as an option off the bench.

Without necessarily being a dig at anyone it would beg the question of 'what's the point in Conor Sammon?' if he's fit but not starting when Main's unavailable.

I'm also wondering if A-Rod might be viewed as a possible stand-in for Rose.

Agree that Sammon is likely - but I think that Bowman is a better "partner"...

Given the way that Grimshaw played at Pittodrie last season (and at Hampden against Aberdeen), I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him play (as these things tend to play on manager's minds)

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Agree that Sammon is likely - but I think that Bowman is a better "partner"...

Given the way that Grimshaw played at Pittodrie last season (and at Hampden against Aberdeen), I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him play (as these things tend to play on manager's minds)

Reading Bowman's pre-match comments I completely forgot he played alongside Johnson at Gateshead.

Archived