Aberdeen v Motherwell

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another cautious draw on the cards because we can’t score from open play and the only striker we have that can actually put the ball in the net isn’t getting a start
FFS, this season is going to be long 

We’re really not that bad. Give them a chance.

To be honest we have (imho) been unlucky in our losses to Hamilton and Hearts. Both games we deserved something from. Hibs away was a deserved defeat. 

Our problems seem similar to those of Aberdeen going by comments above. We have a decent amount of possession and create chances but right now we are struggling to score. 

Whoever scores first in this game will not go onto lose. Aberdeen score and I expect them to walk away with 3 points. 

1 hour ago, Frank Grimes said:

Domestically we’ve only been good against St Mirren

Other performances have been very underwhelming 

To be fair (I’m what most Aberdeen fans would call a happy clapper) we haven’t had a chance to put out our strongest team yet this season. We have James Wilson, who is untried here but may turn out to be our saviour up front, or Bruce Anderson, who after yesterday may get a start next week if Wilson doesn’t get a full weeks training. I could see one of them playing alongside Sam Cosgrove, who made a huge difference to us yesterday right from the start of the second half. Frank Ross has looked more than decent when he’s been fit this season, and really frustrating that Scott Wright has been injured since his superb showing against St Mirren. We’re due Motherwell a defeat after last season, but who knows. 3.1 to the Reds.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, welldaft said:

To be honest we have (imho) been unlucky in our losses to Hamilton and Hearts. Both games we deserved something from. Hibs away was a deserved defeat. 

Our problems seem similar to those of Aberdeen going by comments above. We have a decent amount of possession and create chances but right now we are struggling to score. 

Whoever scores first in this game will not go onto lose. Aberdeen score and I expect them to walk away with 3 points. 

Where did you get the idea from that we create chances ?

Big game for us, especially with Hibs in the League Cup and Celtic at Parkhead immediately to follow. One win from five so far isn't good enough, so we need to get three points here. 

I'd like to see us switching to a more ambitious 4-4-2 from kick-off. I don't think the 4-2-3-1 has worked for us domestically this season.

Hopefully we can grind out a win, but our lack of creativity and guile from open play has me fearing a draw. 

I'm hoping that McInnes mimics last season and doesn't remember that he's got a better squad than us and continues to fanny about trying to match the physicality rather than playing his normal game. The game at Pittodrie last season was probably a bigger example of this than the Cup semi was - and co-incedentally was one of our best league performances of the season.

As frustrating as Saturday's game was, I'm far from downhearted about it - quite looking forward to this and I'll be heading up...

I wouldn’t subscribe to the theory we’ve been unlucky, we’ve failed to score in 3 of our 5 league games and haven’t kept a clean sheet in any of them. You struggle to score goals at one end while chucking daft ones in at the other you’ve got no one to blame but yourself. 

Our lack of goals isn’t anything new and has been a problem since Moult left(and Tanner’s knee gave way). It’s at the other end where uncharacteristically we keep shooting ourselves in the foot though. Daft individual errors are costing us with McHugh, Hartley and Carson all culpable so far this season. 

It is fine margins and we’ve been in most games right till the end, however a lack of quality in the final third combined with our recent inability to keep a clean sheet is absolutely killing us at the minute.

Far too much negative from Aberdeen fans at the moment but we really are not getting much luck with injuries at the moment. 8 players missing against St Johnstone and about half of them what be on the bench but any team outside Celtic would struggle to get results with nearly a team out injured/suspended.  I do think the time to judge how the season is going to go is when we have played everyone in the league but we do need to start getting results now. 

Noticed a tweet from Here we Go podcast

Aberdeen  Points after 5 games:

2013/14 - 7 points
2014/15 - 6 points
2015/16 - 15 points
2016/17 - 6 points
2017/18 - 13 points
2018/19  - 6 points

McInnes team are slow starters in the league so lets not panic just yet

14 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I wouldn’t subscribe to the theory we’ve been unlucky, we’ve failed to score in 3 of our 5 league games and haven’t kept a clean sheet in any of them. You struggle to score goals at one end while chucking daft ones in at the other you’ve got no one to blame but yourself. 

Our lack of goals isn’t anything new and has been a problem since Moult left(and Tanner’s knee gave way). It’s at the other end where uncharacteristically we keep shooting ourselves in the foot though. Daft individual errors are costing us with McHugh, Hartley and Carson all culpable so far this season. 

It is fine margins and we’ve been in most games right till the end, however a lack of quality in the final third combined with our recent inability to keep a clean sheet is absolutely killing us at the minute.

Can't disagree with any of that - my only note of caution is that having Hibs, Rangers and Hearts (all of whom you'd imagine will be bothering the top 4 this season) in our opening 5 games has probably magnified the problems that you rightly point out. Add to that an away game at Pittodrie next and it adds up to as tough a start as we've had in a good few years and it might well be near the end of the first round of fixtures before we can be really clear where we stand.

I'm more concerned about us defensively rather than going forward as I saw enough against Rangers and Dundee to show that we are capable of creating chances - and Hearts are likely, by a distance, to be the best defensive team we'll play this season. The loss of Dunne and Kipre at the back has been fucking massive for us and not the kind of thing that a team like us is easily able to compensate for (and we certainly haven't done so far).

Far too much negative from Aberdeen fans at the moment but we really are not getting much luck with injuries at the moment. 8 players missing against St Johnstone and far enough half of them what be on the bench but any team outside Celtic would struggle to get results with nearly a team out injured/suspended.  I do think the time to judge how the season is going to go is when we have played everyone in the league but we do need to start getting results now. 
Noticed a tweet from Here we Go podcast
Aberdeen  Points after 5 games:
2013/14 - 7 points
2014/15 - 6 points
2015/16 - 15 points
2016/17 - 6 points
2017/18 - 13 points
2018/19  - 6 points
McInnes team are slow starters in the league so lets not panic just yet

Folk were shitting the bed last season when we had 13 from 15. Dons fans are wild.

Archived