Alloa vs Ayr

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Have a lot of time for Alloa after they rustled Raith Rovers at the end of last season, but that is a massively diddy move. 

I don't really believe in it myself but half of that would have done , that said we actually had one of the largest playing surfaces in scotland before ,

Anyway you lot need to worry about the team. our "  EFFIN LEFT BACK " is due a goal :lol:

Doohan

Geggan Bell Rose Smith

Forrest Kerr Murdoch Crawford

Moffatt Shankland

Subs: Hare Reid, Higgins, Ferguson, Docherty, McDaid, McGuffie and Moore

Extremely worried for this one, our bogey team over the last few seasons and we have a pretty shocking record up there, also still have nightmares about 'that' game last season.

The rather narrow pitch aswell won't really suit our style of playing the full width of the pitch either but think our attacking quality will just be enough to see us through as long as we're not sloppy at the back.

2-1 Ayr (Crawford & Moffat)

Doohan
Geggan Bell Rose Smith
Forrest Kerr Murdoch Crawford
Moffatt Shankland
Subs: Hare Reid, Higgins, Ferguson, Docherty, McDaid, McGuffie and Moore
Extremely worried for this one, our bogey team over the last few seasons and we have a pretty shocking record up there, also still have nightmares about 'that' game last season.
The rather narrow pitch aswell won't really suit our style of playing the full width of the pitch either but think our attacking quality will just be enough to see us through as long as we're not sloppy at the back.
2-1 Ayr (Crawford & Moffat)
We were without shankland and half a defence that fateful sunday. 1-3 Ayr.

15 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Doesn't really suit us either. Having already drawn at Tannadice (x2), Inverness and Dunfermline and only losing at Dingwall to a last minute goal, there has been no issue with bigger parks. In the games I've seen at home (earlier in the season) the smaller park hindered us more than helping. But perhaps we are getting used to it now. Still looks like an unnecessary step to me though.

Opposition fans are expecting to beat us every week because it's Alloa and they think should win. In truth, the Wasps are doing well so far and every league game, plus the 3 cup games against Championship sides, have been very close. The team look comfortable at this level and should hopefully continue to improve as the more recent wave of loan signings settle. 3 points so far probably doesn't reflect how well they have been doing. With two home games now against Ayr and Falkirk it's important to try and add to that tally and get a few more points on the board.

Doesn't really suit us either. Having already drawn at Tannadice (x2), Inverness and Dunfermline and only losing at Dingwall to a last minute goal, there has been no issue with bigger parks. In the games I've seen at home (earlier in the season) the smaller park hindered us more than helping. But perhaps we are getting used to it now. Still looks like an unnecessary step to me though.
Opposition fans are expecting to beat us every week because it's Alloa and they think should win. In truth, the Wasps are doing well so far and every league game, plus the 3 cup games against Championship sides, have been very close. The team look comfortable at this level and should hopefully continue to improve as the more recent wave of loan signings settle. 3 points so far probably doesn't reflect how well they have been doing. With two home games now against Ayr and Falkirk it's important to try and add to that tally and get a few more points on the board.
Can you not widen the pitch at home during the season or it only allowed to be changed once

3 minutes ago, rb123! said:
36 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Can you not widen the pitch at home during the season or it only allowed to be changed once

You can change it after everybody has played on it once, or at least that was the case the last time.

Somerset isn't the widest of pitches plus we're actually playing lots of narrow pass and move stuff through the middle, so it shouldn't be the pitch to blame if we're mince on Saturday.

We also know what to expect from Alloa so no chance we'll be underestimating them.

I'd take a 2-2 entertaining draw right now.

Somerset isn't the widest of pitches plus we're actually playing lots of narrow pass and move stuff through the middle, so it shouldn't be the pitch to blame if we're mince on Saturday.
We also know what to expect from Alloa so no chance we'll be underestimating them.
I'd take a 2-2 entertaining draw right now.

Did McCall not narrow the pitch a bit when we went up the last time or did I imagine that? Certainly not as much as Alloa have done.

But yeah considering Smith will be playing LB it should suit him considering the last two games he’s played there he’s predominantly moved further in when we go forward. The two midfields will be quite congested though so there’s a fair chance it’ll be quite a scrappy game with players not having a lot of room to manoeuvre.

22 hours ago, Waspie said:

Opposition fans are expecting to beat us every week because it's Alloa and they think should win. 

Fair point but the surprise element isn't there for this one against us - i.e. we should know what to expect from Alloa. Reckon our players will be on their guard and certainly up for a battle. Looks like a draw to me which, tbh, I'll take on plastic after that the Dumfries Disaster :(.  

Think we will find this easier than a lot of teams who visit Alloa. The element of surprise with the timewasting and physical style won’t be there. The other challenge is scoring against a tight  defence and having Shankland will help us as he always creates chances 

1 hour ago, AyrExile said:

Think we will find this easier than a lot of teams who visit Alloa. The element of surprise with the timewasting and physical style won’t be there. The other challenge is scoring against a tight  defence and having Shankland will help us as he always creates chances 

Surely a wind up :lol:

8 of our starting 11 would blow away in a strong wind...hardly a bunch of cloggers.

Also recall Steven Bell refusing to give Alloa the ball back after they put the ball out for an injury stoppage and chucking a flare into an open street...things happen in the heat of the moment which certainly do not define either team or club.

4 excellent games between the sides last season, hopefully get more of the same tomorrow.

Archived