Referees

Ardenvohr6

Looks like you will be putting your name forward. I hear there are plenty of vacancies
Why would I put my name forward ?
Does having an opinion mean I want the job ?
They choose to do the job and are paid well for it so like in every walk of life if you fail to do your job properly then you will face criticism.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Cancellara said:
1 hour ago, griffiti on the wall said:
It's not an impossible job it's made impossible by making bad decisions
Been to plenty of games you forget the referee is even on the pitch cos he is not making bad decisions and fans are too busy watching the play rather than getting annoyed with some over zealous jobsworth.

Looks like you will be putting your name forward. I hear there are plenty of vacancies.

And therein lies the point. If you're watching with a supporter's head on, you're not well placed to judge. The harshest critics of referees wouldn't last two minutes in the job, not least because they have no concept of a neutral view. If  a Buckie swilling wag claims he can control, pass and shoot the ball better than the guys on the park, he's an idiot, yet, to some, if he screams at an individual who just call things as he sees it, he gets support for his ill judged views! Over zealous jobsworths spoiling games is a reality, but unless you understand that is what is expected of them, you will aim your abuse in the wrong direction. The referee CANNOT use his common sense, unless he is prepared to be marked down for it.

Of course none of the harshest critics of referees would ever do the job themselves. The first time they get the type of shout they dish out every week they'd be having a tantrum about it or wading in with flailing arms at the offence to their delicate nature!

We were at Adrossan Winton Rovers on Saturday, the ref was on first name terms with the Ardrossan team. Same thing happened with the Bankies v Hurlford, the ref knew the Hurlford team's nicknames ffs!!!!!

8 minutes ago, froggie said:

The referee CANNOT use his common sense, unless he is prepared to be marked down for it.

This is a good point and in many ways fundamental to not just referees but also what supporters expect of them. We call for consistency and common sense but these expectations are not compatible. Consistency can only come from precise application of the laws which leaves no room for common sense or judgement in specific cases.

And therein lies the point. If you're watching with a supporter's head on, you're not well placed to judge. The harshest critics of referees wouldn't last two minutes in the job, not least because they have no concept of a neutral view. If  a Buckie swilling wag claims he can control, pass and shoot the ball better than the guys on the park, he's an idiot, yet, to some, if he screams at an individual who just call things as he sees it, he gets support for his ill judged views! Over zealous jobsworths spoiling games is a reality, but unless you understand that is what is expected of them, you will aim your abuse in the wrong direction. The referee CANNOT use his common sense, unless he is prepared to be marked down for it.
Of course none of the harshest critics of referees would ever do the job themselves. The first time they get the type of shout they dish out every week they'd be having a tantrum about it or wading in with flailing arms at the offence to their delicate nature!

A basic understanding of the laws of the game allows you to see weather or not the official is having a good game or not but I accept your point that this can be caused by the watchers marking him down .
To suggest that every fan knows nothing about the game is arrogant beyond belief and just cos folk don't want to be a ref that they are somehow unable to understand the game is utter nonsense.
Are these people beyond criticism and if so why ?
Cos they get some stick or cos there is a shortage of referees none of which are justifiable reasons for us to expect second rate performances from guys on a good rate of pay

2 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

To suggest that every fan knows nothing about the game is arrogant beyond belief and just cos folk don't want to be a ref that they are somehow unable to understand the game is utter nonsense.

True - you don't have to be Gordon Ramsay to know whether the food is good or not.

17 minutes ago, Taxman said:

We were at Adrossan Winton Rovers on Saturday, the ref was on first name terms with the Ardrossan team. Same thing happened with the Bankies v Hurlford, the ref knew the Hurlford team's nicknames ffs!!!!!

What’s the problem with that?

2 hours ago, Vollyman said:

I attended Stoneyburn v Armadale on Saturday where during an Armadale attack the ball was crossed into the penalty box an Armadale player clearly handled the ball and to everyone’s surprise Armadale were awarded a penalty. The Stoneyburn manager had words with the referee and received a red card.The consequences of this decision is that the manager could receive a £100 fine caused by a referee’s horrendous decision. Justice was done as we missed the penalty

Oh the Irony, the ball was clearly, or was it, handled by a Stoneyburn player. Confirmed by Stoneyburn committee man at the time and also by the offending player. The behaviour of the Stoneyburn manager cannot and should not be excused. 

The way I look at it is you can't expect a referee to spot every infringement during a game or get every decision correct but you DO expect them to get the big decisions right.

I'm fortunate to watch SPL referees as well as Junior referees and the amount of game changing decisions they are consistently getting wrong is frightening and happening more and more.

In fact it's getting to the stage where the referee is the main talking point after many games which is worrying.

The way I look at it is you can't expect a referee to spot every infringement during a game or get every decision correct but you DO expect them to get the big decisions right.
I'm fortunate to watch SPL referees as well as Junior referees and the amount of game changing decisions they are consistently getting wrong is frightening and happening more and more.
In fact it's getting to the stage where the referee is the main talking point after many games which is worrying.

Agree with much of that , however in SPL refs get one look and then they are analysed to death on TV.
This creates a culture of refs always being wrong which has permeated to lower levels of the game.
It's a thankless job which many do well and are not help by antics of some players and managers, many who seem not to understand some of the laws of the game.

2 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

A basic understanding of the laws of the game allows you to see weather or not the official is having a good game or not but I accept your point that this can be caused by the watchers marking him down .
Are these people beyond criticism and if so why ?
Cos they get some stick or cos there is a shortage of referees none of which are justifiable reasons for us to expect second rate performances from guys on a good rate of pay

I'm certain I didn't suggest every fan knows nothing about the game, which is why, if I had said it, it would indeed be nonsense, but I didn't. It is like me suggesting all spectators at football are fair minded, objective observers, who only call out bad decisions be they for or against their team. That is just as nonsensical, which why I'm not suggesting that either. Referees are not and should not be above criticism, but there is an irony in that many of the loudest moaners about referees have a limited understanding of the laws of the game amidst their outrage. Good rate of pay? if you say so,

I'm certain I didn't suggest every fan knows nothing about the game, which is why, if I had said it, it would indeed be nonsense, but I didn't. It is like me suggesting all spectators at football are fair minded, objective observers, who only call out bad decisions be they for or against their team. That is just as nonsensical, which why I'm not suggesting that either. Referees are not and should not be above criticism, but there is an irony in that many of the loudest moaners about referees have a limited understanding of the laws of the game amidst their outrage. Good rate of pay? if you say so,
£37.50 p/h considering the living wage is around the £7 40 mark I would say so

6 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:
29 minutes ago, froggie said:

£37.50 p/h considering the living wage is around the £7 40 mark I would say so

Then they must be swamped with applicants then....unless not everyone wants to be abused, told how they should do their job by self appointed experts and be told they're rubbish by people who haven't the guts, ability, communication skills etc, to do it themselves. 

4 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

What makes you such an expert then froggie?
A former referee yourself or di you just holds his whistle while the ref goes for a piss on a regular basis

I have no expertise whatsoever...which me makes me exactly on equal terms with those who gob off at officials tediously every week, The difference is, I understand it isn't easy and even harder when you're being slagged off by people who couldn't do anywhere near as well. Same people who moan about the standards are those who put people off taking up refereeing in the first place.

Then they must be swamped with applicants then....unless not everyone wants to be abused, told how they should do their job by self appointed experts and be told they're rubbish by people who haven't the guts, ability, communication skills etc, to do it themselves. 

Dont talk rubbish you bedwetter
People are allowed an opinion on the game and the performances of officials without a sanctimonious little mouthpiece like you trying to belittle discussion.
I ask again when did you become an expert ?

2 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Dont talk rubbish you bedwetter
People are allowed an opinion on the game and the performances of officials without a sanctimonious little mouthpiece like you trying to belittle discussion.
I ask again when did you become an expert ?

As you ask again, I will answer again, I am not an expert, although being less angry usually helps me to enjoy things more. If you can do better, do it. If you can't , leave it to those with the balls to.

As you ask again, I will answer again, I am not an expert, although being less angry usually helps me to enjoy things more. If you can do better, do it. If you can't , leave it to those with the balls to.
I enjoy the football don't actually bother with the refs but it's people like you that really irritate me but I guess the world is full of know it alls who seem to be experts in everything

1 minute ago, griffiti on the wall said:
6 minutes ago, froggie said:

I enjoy the football don't actually bother with the refs but it's people like you that really irritate me but I guess the world is full of know it alls who seem to be experts in everything

Obviously explaining things twice isn't enough for some. Enjoy your football...but if it gets called off because there's nobody to officiate, maybe something, somehow will finally sink in...somewhere.

Obviously explaining things twice isn't enough for some. Enjoy your football...but if it gets called off because there's nobody to officiate, maybe something, somehow will finally sink in...somewhere.

Or maybe the game itself will die when punters stop going due to officials killing the game
Least you will always be there to hold his whistle

Archived