Referees

Ardenvohr6

I've watched a referee in two consecutive games recently.
First game 1 booking for a bad tackle, game flowed and you hardly noticed he was on the park always talking to the players, even laughed at one point!!
Second game 9 bookings 2 red cards, every hard tackle a yellow every bit of back chat a yellow including one of the reds. Game held up at every opportunity.
The difference
Referee Supervisor was at the 2nd game
Referees aren't there to let the game flow - they are there to enforce the laws of the game.

The biggest factor in whether a game flows or not is the behaviour and actions of the players. It's about time they and the coaches took some responsibility.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's be honest referring standards have dropped through the floor they let over the top tackles go unpunished yet book players for losing it at the ref good strong referring is needed without booking at every opportunity.

Referees aren't there to let the game flow - they are there to enforce the laws of the game.

The biggest factor in whether a game flows or not is the behaviour and actions of the players. It's about time they and the coaches took some responsibility.

Absolutely this. I speak to a few refs now and they all say the same. Players and coaches rarely want to talk to referees, they want to scream at them. Our own manager was quite bad for it last season but seems to have calmed down a fair bit.

Let's be honest referring standards have dropped through the floor they let over the top tackles go unpunished yet book players for losing it at the ref good strong referring is needed without booking at every opportunity.
That doesn't make sense. We're talking junior footballers here. They've heard everything that can possibly be said from a referee and the only thing that will affect the way they play is receiving a card. Not once in any of the hundreds of matches I've watched have I ever seen a referee change his mind after an argument from a player - so why do they bother?

If a challenge deserves a booking then show the player a yellow. If it disrupts the play then blame the player.

Consider how a 90 min match goes for a Junior ref. Called everything under the sun by supporters of both teams who stand about 3 yards from them. Amazingly the metal railing doesn’t absorb any of the abuse!

They also have to ajudge whether the latest squeal and roll from a player is genuine or not whilst getting surrounded by teammates  asking for a foul and the tackler to be booked, or the ‘victim’ to be booked for diving. Their head must be pickled by the time the game is by.

As a neutral official of the Region's Management committee, I have been going to random games, where I have no allegiances to either team.

Standing between 2 sets of supporters can sometimes be a revelation.

In instances where it is a 'tight call' he has either got it wrong and is an effin idiot (or worse) or he's 100% bang on and it's "Well done ref, good decision."

99% of the time, he's actually got it right. I've been at games and wondered if I'm watching the same game as the supporters. Both sets just seem to be wearing glasses tinted in their own colours.

There’s no set age. As long as you can pass the fitness test and are still good enough then you’re in. 

Got to question what games Kennie has been viewing. Over the past 8 seasons refereeing quality has certainly deteriorated significantly.  

I appreciate the tight calls, difficult to manage situations, etc. But, some of the offside decisions I’ve seen; offside given when in own half and offside by over 3-4 yards not being given is a fundamental mistake and junior clubs deserve better. 

There’s a particular boy named Ryan Kennedy who’s got to be the worst I’ve ever seen. Watched him at Greenock one week then Port Glasgow the next week and really really poor. Then, a few weeks later I hear the red cards given at the Port Glasgow game are overturned because of his reports being for the Greenock game. 

What appears to me is a number of contributing factors .

When you watch these guys turn up to referee a game a number of things appear apparent .

Lack of fitness , majority are overweight , can’t turn , can’t run , lack of game knowledge due to 90% of them having never kicked a ball in anger and then you get the ones that look like they cant really be bothered being there .

More and more now look like they use the football as a pressure relief valve , they maybe don’t get talking at home or they get the rubbish jobs to do at work and feel the footy is the time and place to let all their frustrations out etc

Unfortunately we need them or we don’t have games , so i’m afraid we’re stuck with them like it or lump it .

13 minutes ago, CopaMundials said:

What appears to me is a number of contributing factors .

When you watch these guys turn up to referee a game a number of things appear apparent .

Lack of fitness , majority are overweight , can’t turn , can’t run , lack of game knowledge due to 90% of them having never kicked a ball in anger and then you get the ones that look like they cant really be bothered being there .

More and more now look like they use the football as a pressure relief valve , they maybe don’t get talking at home or they get the rubbish jobs to do at work and feel the footy is the time and place to let all their frustrations out etc

Unfortunately we need them or we don’t have games , so i’m afraid we’re stuck with them like it or lump it .

Sorry, but that bit is just horseshit. Most of the punters on the terracing who think they know the laws better than the ref haven't played at any great level either. Most of the players only have a very basic grasp of the rules too, I've seen plenty claiming offside from goal kicks and throw ins.

Im not talking about the punters or players , im talking about the refs who get paid to do a job and supposedly know all the rules and laws of the game .

Players and punters try to fool the referee , anything to gain your side an advantage . Claim for everything , go down in the box for a pen which your lad did , well done to him and won yous the game .

The standard of refereeing is getting worse but as i said . We need them .

8 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Consider how a 90 min match goes for a Junior ref. Called everything under the sun by supporters of both teams who stand about 3 yards from them. Amazingly the metal railing doesn’t absorb any of the abuse!

They also have to ajudge whether the latest squeal and roll from a player is genuine or not whilst getting surrounded by teammates  asking for a foul and the tackler to be booked, or the ‘victim’ to be booked for diving. Their head must be pickled by the time the game is by.

JimBob not been at Beechwood since the early eighties it seems...

But,....Hey-Ho !...

The referee's job is to enforce his interpretation of the law so he can use common sense and allow the game to flow or be a little jobsworth and stop start the game for every petty little thing that's happening in the match .
As for the linesman absolutely bloody useless club would be better off keeping there 50 /60 quid and letting one from each side run the line cos they do nothing except flag for the ball going out anyway and never seem to Assist the referee unless it's when a player calls them a swear name which hurts there sensitive little souls

I attended Stoneyburn v Armadale on Saturday where during an Armadale attack the ball was crossed into the penalty box an Armadale player clearly handled the ball and to everyone’s surprise Armadale were awarded a penalty. The Stoneyburn manager had words with the referee and received a red card.The consequences of this decision is that the manager could receive a £100 fine caused by a referee’s horrendous decision. Justice was done as we missed the penalty

I've also seen some poor decisions but at the end of the day referees are doing an impossible job.I take my hat off to anyone who is prepared to take abuse for an hour and a half.
It's not an impossible job it's made impossible by making bad decisions
Been to plenty of games you forget the referee is even on the pitch cos he is not making bad decisions and fans are too busy watching the play rather than getting annoyed with some over zealous jobsworth.

It's not an impossible job it's made impossible by making bad decisions
Been to plenty of games you forget the referee is even on the pitch cos he is not making bad decisions and fans are too busy watching the play rather than getting annoyed with some over zealous jobsworth.
Looks like you will be putting your name forward. I hear there are plenty of vacancies

Archived