Stories from the Courts

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 16:24, ayrmad said:

I don't think he was joking at the time, he was pissed off that Findlay hadn't turned up and was taking his frustration out on the wee innocuous looking guy in the dock, there was certainly no clarification that the judge didn't mean it by the time I was outside talking to the wee fella and his mates.

capital charges can take many months to come to trial,sometimes guys try to stall things by fannying about with their defence teams,sacking  them and taking on new teams thinking the courts have never come across such tactics before. eventually they get told "its happening next week defence team or not", perhaps that's whats happened in this instance

45 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

capital charges can take many months to come to trial,sometimes guys try to stall things by fannying about with their defence teams,sacking  them and taking on new teams thinking the courts have never come across such tactics before. eventually they get told "its happening next week defence team or not", perhaps that's whats happened in this instance

Probably to the judge but I do think it was Findlay that was otherwise occupied in Glasgow.

On 01/10/2018 at 16:58, highlandcowden said:

That means charges that can lead to the death penalty. Not sure that's what's happening here.

16 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

That means charges that can lead to the death penalty. Not sure that's what's happening here.

9 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

no its a term still in use for serious crimes that can lead to life sentences

Not a phrase used much round here but Margaret Thatcher is correct. A capital charge is one which can result in capital punishment i.e. the death pelanty

3 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

ive worked in the criminal justice sector for 23 years, the term capital charges is still used though I can see why its confusing.

still hear it used,though

Can't argue with that. I've done Scots Law and English Law and never heard of it. Just started doing US Federal Law and it's been coming up. 

theres a guy in forfar i know, well know who he is, that was up on an assault charge. the guys a total p***k and very well known to the courts. anyway the day he was up he got to the court, started a fight with one of the opposing witnesses and got lifted again for assault.

if i remember correctly the sheriff on that day, no doubt sick of the boys constant appearances, did him for non appearance and these few charges accumulated into him getting 9 months. fair enough as the boy was a total p***k with a drink in him