Stories from the Courts

21 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Yes that's what I'll do. One of the doctors in particular is very aware of our situation and has stressed (pardon the pun) that anything he can do to help I've just to ask. 

@This time Perthshirebell was in a similar situation recently, might have some advice. 

36 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Need a medical exclusion which needs to be for me only, or an invoice proving I will be on holiday at the time.  Strict as f**k.

Dependant on how things are nearer the time I will get a hold of one of the decent doctors and get him to get me out of it, but if all is ok it's really just the same as going to work which I'm doing at the moment anyway. If there are issues and the doctor won't do it (I'm sure he will) I'll just not turn up and take my chances with the fine.

From my admittedly limited experience of jury service, there will definitely not be a fine or anything like it. They simply don't have the resources or inclination to investigate every single person who fails to turn up. When I've done jury service, there was about 3-4 times as many people as they needed anyway. 

Best advice - if you really don't want to do it - is to just ignore it completely. Unless they send the summons to you by recorded delivery, there's no evidence that you even received it in the first place. 

Working up the Shetlands some years ago, I came across this from a Shetland Times court report.

"Asked to explain why he had damaged a bar counter in a Lerwick pub by striking it with an axe, the accused replied that he was merely trying to attract the barmaid's attention"

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Working up the Shetlands some years ago, I came across this from a Shetland Times court report.

"Asked to explain why he had damaged a bar counter in a Lerwick pub by striking it with an axe, the accused replied that he was merely trying to attract the barmaid's attention"

at least he didnt click his fingers

I did jury duty on a 5 week drugs trial at the High Court a couple of years ago - I found it quite interesting to be honest, and it beat going to work. One of the guys got off despite it being obvious what was going on but the police didn’t prove beyond reasonable doubt and he was found not proven.  They were all small time but subsequently speaking to someone I knew who had worked on the case, they couldn’t pin the guys higher up.

As the Cardinal says, the summons letter is sent by regular post so you could easily deny receipt

Edited by Snobot

4 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:
On 5/3/2019 at 10:59, Highland Capital said:
I got called for jury service once and had to be excused.  The case I was called for involved a girl from work!

Sounds exciting, bet you wish you were allowed to be on it?

I was quite keen to get on the jury actually as I'd find all that quite interesting.  She was one of the ones bringing in the charges as I recall.

On 03/05/2019 at 09:09, Rugster said:

Need a medical exclusion which needs to be for me only, or an invoice proving I will be on holiday at the time.  Strict as f**k.

Dependant on how things are nearer the time I will get a hold of one of the decent doctors and get him to get me out of it, but if all is ok it's really just the same as going to work which I'm doing at the moment anyway. If there are issues and the doctor won't do it (I'm sure he will) I'll just not turn up and take my chances with the fine.

Ironic if you end up in court for non-attendance and some other P&Ber is on the jury...

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

Ironic if you end up in court for non-attendance and some other P&Ber is on the jury...

P&B juror ........ “Wid”

Judge ...........”And is that the verdict of you all ?”

[mention=1852]Rugster[/mention]   Thanks [mention=30062]welshbairn[/mention].   

My correspondence with the court went something like this:   

1.   Letter comes through for jury duty.   
2.  Wrote back via email to say I could attend this time as I'd already scheduled work commitments ( I'm Self-Employed ).  
3.  Email back said they only excused people on medical grounds or if you're out the country.  
4.  Wrote back informing them my 6 month old has Kidney issues with full references to 5 appointment during the next month.   
5.  Court replied that it wasn't an acceptable reason to be excused and this would be their final response.  
6.  I phoned them up and again was told I needed to attend.   
7. I didn't attend and about 10 weeks on I've heard nothing from the court.  

Good use of taxpayers money.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, sureiknow said:

Was on a Jury but the guy pled guilty before we sat.

Robbed a Mobile Shop.

A bit extreme. Most people would probably just have shrugged their shoulders and gone home.

Just out after sitting for 3 ours waiting for selection and getting sent home(boring as f**k), phone again after 6 tonight, hope hospitality has a good reception as I'm having a few sherbets in me before I watch Super Ayr.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Me and a pal were in Shetland and fancied a pint so went into the most promising looking place in Lerwick (not saying much) and went up to the bar. Lassie clocked us as not fae roon here, we ordered two pints, she hesitated for a minute then says darkly "OK, you'll be fine for now". Drank up and didn't stay to find out what that meant.

Not buying this. Shetland is one of the friendliest places I’ve been to. #saucermeat

Maybe you got it confused with Clackmannanshire.