Stories from the Courts

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

For the same reason you'd hire a plumber to fix your toilet. There is a risk of ending up in the shite if you don't do things properly. 

"Someone who represents themselves has a fool for a client"- Scottish Legal Proverb.   

I'm not a trained gynaecologist...………………………………………………………………………………………...

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

For the same reason you'd hire a plumber to fix your toilet. There is a risk of ending up in the shite if you don't do things properly. 

"Someone who represents themselves has a fool for a client"- Scottish Legal Proverb.   

I would direct your honour to the legal maxim of “no smokium without fireium”

7 minutes ago, The OP said:

I would direct your honour to the legal maxim of “no smokium without fireium”

that was the subject of an educated pun from Flanders and Swan round about the time of the Profumo affair- "there's no smoke without fire, or in Latin non combustium Profumo..."

anyway I would direct you to the wise words of Lionel Hutz, Attorney at Law:

"Imagine a world without lawyers..."

5ba4240eee91f_lionelhutz.jpg.de51728dfbdaba5161a1c78114b58a46.jpg

14 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

My dad did jury service a few years ago and I asked him afterwards how it went. "Oh I said he was guilty the first day of the trial". When I asked him what evidence convinced him he replied "Evidence? dinnae need any o that. c**t wouldnae be in court if he didnae dae it"

Kinda lost faith in the jury system after that.

I've never been called up for jury duty. My mate has though and he said it was horrific and the pressure he felt was incredible. Some guy was up for sexual assault and he always felt really aware that basically this guy's life was in their hands. The lawyers were very clever with their wording and trying to sway you one way or another so the concentration levels were exhausting.

Scary prospect if you've a social conscience.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Funny, I thought his Dad was a lawyer

John Sullivan was born at 35 Zennor Road, Balham, London, on 23 December 1946, the son of John Patrick Sullivan, an Irish plumber, and his wife, Hilda Clara May, née Parker (1907–1992), a cleaner.

1 hour ago, Zen Archer said:

John Sullivan was born at 35 Zennor Road, Balham, London, on 23 December 1946, the son of John Patrick Sullivan, an Irish plumber, and his wife, Hilda Clara May, née Parker (1907–1992), a cleaner.

Irish plumber sounds like some kind of euph tbh.

While waiting for a mate to make a court appearance after getting lifted at Ibrox me and another couple of mates went along for some moral support.

Sat through a couple of hours of Monday morning Glasgow court proceedings is priceless. There Was a ned up for some sort of assault and the Sheriff decreed that he be released on bail. Cue a shout of 'ya fucking dancer' from said ned. Cue a shout of 'that's contempt of court, you'll be remanded in custody' from the sheriff.

Was in  attendance at Killie High Court on a Friday when the judge ordered the accused to defend himself on Monday morning as Mr Findlay hadn't and couldn't appear, you've never seen the colour and cockiness of anyone disappear so quickly, think he ended up with 10 years.

Edited by ayrmad

13 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Was in  attendance at Killie High Court on a Friday when the judge ordered the accused to defend himself on Monday morning as Mr Findlay hadn't and couldn't appear, you've never seen the colour and cockiness of anyone disappear so quickly, think he ended up with 12 years.

You're surely entitled to an advocate on a serious charge or am I being whooshed?

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

You're surely entitled to an advocate on a serious charge or am I being whooshed?

Probably but the wee guy didn't know that at the time, paid Findlay £8k and he was otherwise occupied, he did tell the judge that QC's have years to learn their stuff and he had a weekend to clue himself up, that was the only day I was there but he did get 10 years for killing someone at The Fenwick Hotel, he must have been about 5 foot and 8 stone.

Was in  attendance at Killie High Court on a Friday when the judge ordered the accused to defend himself on Monday morning as Mr Findlay hadn't and couldn't appear, you've never seen the colour and cockiness of anyone disappear so quickly, think he ended up with 10 years.

Surely a judge can’t make someone defend themselves? It’s not their fault their lawyer has t turned up? Doesn’t sound particularly like a fair hearing just going on the above, probably more to it.

1 minute ago, NJ2 said:

Surely a judge can’t make someone defend themselves? It’s not their fault their lawyer has t turned up? Doesn’t sound particularly like a fair hearing just going on the above, probably more to it.

I'm not saying he had to defend himself but that was what the judge said to him at the time, when I left that day the wee guy was still under the impression that he was defending himself on the Monday, he had been offered 10 years for a murder plea, ended up getting 10 years for a lesser charge, might not sound like a difference but you've no lifelong License for the 2nd, and you'll serve 40 months less. 

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

I'm not saying he had to defend himself but that was what the judge said to him at the time, when I left that day the wee guy was still under the impression that he was defending himself on the Monday, he had been offered 10 years for a murder plea, ended up getting 10 years for a lesser charge, might not sound like a difference but you've no lifelong License for the 2nd, and you'll serve 40 months less. 

I can see why Findlay didn't show.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/CELTIC+FAN+LOCKED+UP+FOR+KILLING.-a087444904