Euro 2020 Qualifiers

dufc289

52 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

If that were to happen, I think Albania/Israel get our spot in the semi-final in March 2020.

lf the group winners in NL qualify for the euro's through normal quali, their place goes to the next best team in the league rankings (not group rankings).

1 hour ago, BigTidy said:

Aye. that'll be it.

I think they want to pair up host countries with their stadiums so most likely we'll be in Group D alongside England.

I think that was already confirmed in one of the newspapers (the Mail, I think)

lf the group winners in NL qualify for the euro's through normal quali, their place goes to the next best team in the league rankings (not group rankings).
Indeed. It's the one thing about the Nations League that is quite complicated (especially when everyone keeps calling them play offs which makes them sound like something different). I've always understood it to mean that the 4 group winners go forward regardless - the idea of course is to find a Champion for each Nations League (which is non-transferrable), and the qualification for the Euros is an added bonus which can be transferred down in a manner like (but at the same time totally different from!) cup runners up used to get the added bonus of qualification to the UEFA Cup etc. Some pundits etc were saying that it was great that Wales were in League B since that it was highly likely that all the League a teams would qualify anyway so it meant Wales were a "good bet for a Play Off spot" which totally misrepresents what did happen.

3 hours ago, BigTidy said:

The June dates have the Nations League semi finals and final but also Euro qualifying matchdays 3 and 4. The four teams in the Nations League won't be able to play their Euro qualifying matches. 

I assume someone has thought of this but I can't see what the solution is on that page.

Eh? I thought it was:

1. All NL groups played out in Sept-Nov 2018
  2. All traditional qualifying groups to be played out through 2019
  3. NL semis and final to be played in 2020, soon before the Euros

Is this not the case?

56 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Eh? I thought it was:

1. All NL groups played out in Sept-Nov 2018
  2. All traditional qualifying groups to be played out through 2019
  3. NL semis and final to be played in 2020, soon before the Euros

Is this not the case?

Two different things.

There's the NL playoffs (for Euro 2020 qualifying places), which are in March 2020. 

There's also a NL trophy itself (for the winners of the groups in League A), which is June 2019.

2 hours ago, JamesM82 said:

Two different things.

There's the NL playoffs (for Euro 2020 qualifying places), which are in March 2020. 

There's also a NL trophy itself (for the winners of the groups in League A), which is June 2019.

What he said.  The competition to determine the Nations League "Champion" basically becomes a sort of Confederations Cup, taking a slot in the "middle" year between tournaments.  The playoffs to determine qualifiers (I assume for Leagues B-D) will be in March in the last international window before the tournament itself.

14 minutes ago, forameus said:

What he said.  The competition to determine the Nations League "Champion" basically becomes a sort of Confederations Cup, taking a slot in the "middle" year between tournaments.  The playoffs to determine qualifiers (I assume for Leagues B-D) will be in March in the last international window before the tournament itself.

Ah right, so the A League 'confed' cup is irrelevant to us.

As noted, the Division A champions hold a finals tournament in June 2019 - designed to fill the empty post-season every 4yrs - although it's not a groupstage & final but simply SFs & Final. It's going to be hosted in Italy, Poland or Portugal (decision in December). Finalists will not be given Euro 2020 qualifiers in June.

Archived