Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dufc289

Euro 2020 Qualifiers

Recommended Posts

On a serious note - I'm right in saying the seeding is based on Nations League finishing positions?

So we can't finish in top 20 and therefore can't be 1st or 2nd seeds, but winning (or being best 2 runners-up) = 3rd seeds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.footballseeding.com/international-tournaments/euro-2020/

Decent guide on how the seeding will work for the qualifying groups. Ideally we win our NL group and guarantee ourselves in Pot 3. Hard to say at this stage who our best/worst draw would be, but ideally we avoid anyone who wins their group in the top 2 leagues.

Iceland look like the weakest team in the top division, but there's a very realistic chance they drop into Pot 2 as they've taken a couple of hammerings already. Italy, Netherlands and Poland would be appear to be the more favourable draws in that pot.

Pot 2 will likely be teams that are better than us, but not necessarily anyone we should fear. Would like to avoid Denmark as they look a cut above most of those sides and Wales because our recent record v them is shocking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

https://www.footballseeding.com/international-tournaments/euro-2020/

Decent guide on how the seeding will work for the qualifying groups. Ideally we win our NL group and guarantee ourselves in Pot 3. Hard to say at this stage who our best/worst draw would be, but ideally we avoid anyone who wins their group in the top 2 leagues.

Iceland look like the weakest team in the top division, but there's a very realistic chance they drop into Pot 2 as they've taken a couple of hammerings already. Italy, Netherlands and Poland would be appear to be the more favourable draws in that pot.

Pot 2 will likely be teams that are better than us, but not necessarily anyone we should fear. Would like to avoid Denmark as they look a cut above most of those sides and Wales because our recent record v them is shocking.

That's a much better way of doing things. If we win the Nations League group and don't get too unlucky with the draw I think we'll have a decent crack at qualifying through the groups.

As things stand, the easiest we could hope for could be: 

Switzerland/Poland/Netherlands

Northern Ireland

Scotland

Luxembourg

Azerbaijan.

The hardest:

France

Italy

Scotland

Hungary

Georgia

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming we're 3rd seeds and using current NL rankings.

Dream Scenario:

1. Netherlands

2. Northern Ireland

3. Scotland

4. Luxembourg

5. Andorra

Nightmare Scenario:

1. Spain

2. Croatia

3. Scotland

4. Serbia

5. Georgia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You just know we'll win our NL group then go and qualify through our normal section. Would be seething if that happened.
Wha's like us?
That means we'd probably be seeded higher in the actual tournament, but it would be very Scotland to not qualify in 20 years and then qualify twice for the one tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unsure if this has been covered, but what happens if you qualify twice ? Does the NL place go to the next best side ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But, and correct me if wrong, we would have qualified through the traditional means before the semi final and final of the Nations League, allowing the next ranked team to go forwards to the next stage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The June dates have the Nations League semi finals and final but also Euro qualifying matchdays 3 and 4. The four teams in the Nations League won't be able to play their Euro qualifying matches. 

I assume someone has thought of this but I can't see what the solution is on that page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BigTidy said:

The June dates have the Nations League semi finals and final but also Euro qualifying matchdays 3 and 4. The four teams in the Nations League won't be able to play their Euro qualifying matches. 

I assume someone has thought of this but I can't see what the solution is on that page.

I imagine the winners of League A will be in 5 team groups and hence only require 8 match days. This will allow them to play the semi and final on dates where the groups with 6 teams play.

What I find interesting is the Euro 2020 draw is made before the playoffs, which will mean we will know which group we'd be in before we've even qualified (if we win the NL group). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Coooombe said:

I imagine the winners of League A will be in 5 team groups and hence only require 8 match days. This will allow them to play the semi and final on dates where the groups with 6 teams play.

What I find interesting is the Euro 2020 draw is made before the playoffs, which will mean we will know which group we'd be in before we've even qualified (if we win the NL group). 

Aye. that'll be it.

I think they want to pair up host countries with their stadiums so most likely we'll be in Group D alongside England.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, dufc289 said:

But, and correct me if wrong, we would have qualified through the traditional means before the semi final and final of the Nations League, allowing the next ranked team to go forwards to the next stage?

If that were to happen, I think Albania/Israel get our spot in the semi-final in March 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having the seedings be done by this method is going to lead to some quite interesting cases.  The two worst teams from League A will drop into the bottom pot, but who ends up being that is going to largely be about the group they're in.  For the first time in fucking aaaaages, England could end up with a second seed if Croatia pick up their ideas.  Great laugh for some up here, but that could end up being a dreadful thing for us.  I'd expect England to continue to be absolute bullies as a 2nd seed, and I don't fancy our chances of finishing above them and what would could be a huge top seed.

But...I've got a feeling Croatia might completely shit the bed, and finish bottom of that group.  I expect Iceland will be one of the sides dropping to pot 2, then it's a fight between Netherlands, Croatia and Poland/Italy.  The groups make that very interesting, given that some of them are a lot harder than the others.

From League B it's the 4 relegated sides that drop, and that looks like it'll include Republic of Ireland, perhaps N. Ireland too.  But to be honest, that whole League, I don't see any side we should be desperately afraid of.  Denmark maybe?  Maybe Bosnia.

From the top pot, if they make it, Iceland or Poland would probably be the ones to hope for.  Or England again to get another shot at them.  Anyone else will likely serve up 2 absolute batterings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, forameus said:

Having the seedings be done by this method is going to lead to some quite interesting cases.  The two worst teams from League A will drop into the bottom pot, but who ends up being that is going to largely be about the group they're in.  For the first time in fucking aaaaages, England could end up with a second seed if Croatia pick up their ideas.  Great laugh for some up here, but that could end up being a dreadful thing for us.  I'd expect England to continue to be absolute bullies as a 2nd seed, and I don't fancy our chances of finishing above them and what would could be a huge top seed.

But...I've got a feeling Croatia might completely shit the bed, and finish bottom of that group.  I expect Iceland will be one of the sides dropping to pot 2, then it's a fight between Netherlands, Croatia and Poland/Italy.  The groups make that very interesting, given that some of them are a lot harder than the others.

From League B it's the 4 relegated sides that drop, and that looks like it'll include Republic of Ireland, perhaps N. Ireland too.  But to be honest, that whole League, I don't see any side we should be desperately afraid of.  Denmark maybe?  Maybe Bosnia.

From the top pot, if they make it, Iceland or Poland would probably be the ones to hope for.  Or England again to get another shot at them.  Anyone else will likely serve up 2 absolute batterings.

I'd fancy our chances at home to Switzerland tbh. Although I'd wager we'd have a better chance of taking points from England than anyone else who ended up in that group so I'd definitely take them as a top seed if offered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Having the seedings be done by this method is going to lead to some quite interesting cases.  The two worst teams from League A will drop into the bottom pot, but who ends up being that is going to largely be about the group they're in.  For the first time in fucking aaaaages, England could end up with a second seed if Croatia pick up their ideas.  Great laugh for some up here, but that could end up being a dreadful thing for us.  I'd expect England to continue to be absolute bullies as a 2nd seed, and I don't fancy our chances of finishing above them and what would could be a huge top seed.

But...I've got a feeling Croatia might completely shit the bed, and finish bottom of that group.  I expect Iceland will be one of the sides dropping to pot 2, then it's a fight between Netherlands, Croatia and Poland/Italy.  The groups make that very interesting, given that some of them are a lot harder than the others.

From League B it's the 4 relegated sides that drop, and that looks like it'll include Republic of Ireland, perhaps N. Ireland too.  But to be honest, that whole League, I don't see any side we should be desperately afraid of.  Denmark maybe?  Maybe Bosnia.

From the top pot, if they make it, Iceland or Poland would probably be the ones to hope for.  Or England again to get another shot at them.  Anyone else will likely serve up 2 absolute batterings.

 

I watched Bosnia against N Ireland and they were rank rotten. N Ireland battered them and if it wasn’t for shite defending and shite finishing, N Ireland should of won that game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...