Promotion. How Does Will it Work.

Winkles

Hi everyone.

Apologies for what is probably a very straight forward question but can someone give a quick explanation of how promotion to the Lowland League will work to a bit of an I'll informed football fan who attends the odd Penicuik and Bonnyrigg games?

As I read it we have 3 conferences this year. Top 3 plus bottom of the Lowland League then play off for 1 (Maybe 2, given Selkirk's issues) promotion place, is that correct?

However the winners are not guaranteed to go up As they have to be licensed, is that correct?

So as it stands such teams from the east of Scotland can get promoted?

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, Winkles said:

Hi everyone.

Apologies for what is probably a very straight forward question but can someone give a quick explanation of how promotion to the Lowland League will work to a bit of an I'll informed football fan who attends the odd Penicuik and Bonnyrigg games?

As I read it we have 3 conferences this year. Top 3 plus bottom of the Lowland League then play off for 1 (Maybe 2, given Selkirk's issues) promotion place, is that correct?

However the winners are not guaranteed to go up As they have to be licensed, is that correct?

So as it stands such teams from the east of Scotland can get promoted?

Thanks.

No that's incorrect. The 3 winners playoff in a round robin. then winner faces sosfl champion over two legs if licenced. They would replace bottom club of lowland league automatically. So no playoff with lowland league clubs.

Selkirk folding makes it more complicated as 15th is now bottom. How they get it back to 16 will be decided at a later date.

Need to be licensed but teams not currently licensed could be by the time comes.

Okay, so do we know who is looking to get licenced and what the requirements are?

Penicuik for example are a team you might expect to too win their league. I'm assuming  they aren't licenced? Are they likely to be or looking to be? Would the lack of toilets in the ground mean they have no chance?

8 minutes ago, Winkles said:

Okay, so do we know who is looking to get licenced and what the requirements are?

Penicuik for example are a team you might expect to too win their league. I'm assuming  they aren't licenced? Are they likely to be or looking to be? Would the lack of toilets in the ground mean they have no chance?

Currentry licenced are lothian thistle Hutchison Vale linlithgow rose Coldstream Preston Athletic might be one or two others. 

I know my team are looking for licence as far as penicuik you would need to ask them

7 minutes ago, Winkles said:

In terms of juniors that moved you've got Linlithgow already licensed. Blackburn & Dalkeith have started the licensing process.

When it comes to potential conference winners. I haven't seen any speculation ruling a club out of promotion by being unable to get a license by the end of the year.

11 minutes ago, Winkles said:

List of licensed clubs: https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/4195/club-licensing-current-update-august-2018.pdf

SFA Club Licensing manual: https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/2881/scottish-fa-club-licensing-manual-2018.pdf

According to that spectator toilet facilities need to be within the ground's boundary wall/fence surrounding the football ground.

Okay.

So say an unlicensed club wins the play off between the East of Scotland and South of Scotland how will they replace Selkirk?

And given the Lowland League are a club down at the moment will the team who finish bottom still be getting relegated?

3 minutes ago, Winkles said:

Okay.

So say an unlicensed club wins the play off between the East of Scotland and South of Scotland how will they replace Selkirk?

And given the Lowland League are a club down at the moment will the team who finish bottom still be getting relegated?

They wouldn't be in the playoffs as happened the year edusport academy. Got promoted as lthv weren't liceased. 

1 minute ago, Winkles said:

Okay.

There is only a playoff between SoS Champion and EoS Champion if both are licensed.

If there is only one licensed champion they avoid the playoff and are promoted automatically.

15th in the Lowland League will be relegated and lose their league membership. They would have to apply to fill a vacancy like every other licensed club.

5 minutes ago, Winkles said:

Okay.

Team 15 currently Whitehill Welfare would be bottom and relegated. 

1 hour ago, pipedreamer said:

If both SoS and EoS champs are unlicensed then team 15 in LL gets relegated and can reapply along with other licensed teams.

So in theory if the above occurs  - a licensed team could apply irrespective of where they finish and it would go to a vote against Whitehill Welfare (currently 15th in LL)

Summarised:

* 3 conference winners hold 'round robin' to become EOSL champion
* EOSL + SOSL champions play-off for promotion (if both licensed by March 31st - if 1 licensed then promoted automatically)
* remaining spaces in LL filled by application, open to relegated teams and other licensed clubs (not necessarily by March 31st AFAICS)

* top 5s in conferences - plus any relegated LL clubs east of the "salt & sauce line", less any clubs(s) promoted to LL - and enough best 6th-placed club(s) to make 16 form new EOSL Premier Division.

20 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Summarised:

* 3 conference winners hold 'round robin' to become EOSL champion
* EOSL + SOSL champions play-off for promotion (if both licensed by March 31st - if 1 licensed then promoted automatically)
* remaining spaces in LL filled by application, open to relegated teams and other licensed clubs (not necessarily by March 31st AFAICS)

* top 5s in conferences - plus any relegated LL clubs east of the "salt & sauce line", less any clubs(s) promoted to LL - and enough best 6th-placed club(s) to make 16 form new EOSL Premier Division.

Certainly the delay between LTHVs title deciders with Kelty and the July/August announcement of their SFA license suggests a little leeway for the champions March 31st deadline requirement.

A little leeway being deep into the licensing process with just some I's being dotted and Ts crossed.

6 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Certainly the delay between LTHVs title deciders with Kelty and the July/August announcement of their SFA license suggests a little leeway for the champions March 31st deadline requirement.

A little leeway being deep into the licensing process with just some I's being dotted and Ts crossed.

Rumours were around the Kelty v LTHV league decider that LTHV would be in the promotion play-off had they won the league. We'll never know if that was true, but I would assume that if it was true, it was already known LTHV were approved for a license but didn't formally have one yet due to some minor formalities.

18 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

So in theory if the above occurs  - a licensed team could apply irrespective of where they finish and it would go to a vote against Whitehill Welfare (currently 15th in LL)

Yes, and your club must be one of the most likely to get in under that scenario as many of the other licensed clubs wouldn't actually want to be promoted and/or have relatively weak teams by EoS and SoS standards. Think it would take the 15th team having a really bad season before the other LL clubs wouldn't vote one of their own back in, but there is also the possibility that the 15th placed team does what Threave Rovers did under that scenario and doesn't bother to apply to be re-elected.

Yes, and your club must be one of the most likely to get in under that scenario as many of the other licensed clubs wouldn't actually want to be promoted and/or have relatively weak teams by EoS and SoS standards. Think it would take the 15th team having a really bad season before the other LL clubs wouldn't vote one of their own back in, but there is also the possibility that the 15th placed team does what Threave Rovers did under that scenario and doesn't bother to apply to be re-elected.
Wouldn't like to go down that route personally.

It does highlight one concern I always had was the EoS accepting so many applications before clubs had applied for a licence.

You could feasibly have no movement for years between EoS and LL.

Archived