Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Div

      Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

      We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
Jimmy Gentles

QP moving to lesser hampden good for junior clubs?

Recommended Posts

So now the scotland team will remain at hampden and queens park will play out of lesser hampden as of 2020 the question is shall this put an end to the pretty much constant snapping up of junior players by QP?

 

Theyve always been able to dangle a large carrot at junior players to play at hampden every second week and its excellent pitch , just wondering if loads of junior players will see lesser hampden as an attraction .?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may have been an additional temptation, but I’m sure the chance to play in the pro leagues was always the main attraction. And I’m sure even lesser Hampden knocks the spots off most junior set ups. 

 

Plus the deal also leaves the club with several million pounds burning a hole in their pockets and the opportunity to pay pretty lavish “expenses” to any new recruits...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think it will make a blind bit of difference myself.

Was the lure of playing for QPFC ever about the big pitch ?

In most cases, probably not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Junior_Arab said:

It may have been an additional temptation, but I’m sure the chance to play in the pro leagues was always the main attraction. And I’m sure even lesser Hampden knocks the spots off most junior set ups. 

 

Plus the deal also leaves the club with several million pounds burning a hole in their pockets and the opportunity to pay pretty lavish “expenses” to any new recruits...

I'd be amazed if they ever spent any of that money on operating costs; they're about to lose the rental income from Hampden, for ever. They've tended to be good with money and I suspect they'll keep that as capital for the future. They recently rebuilt their offices and Lesser Hampden is in good nick since the Commonwealth Games, so they really have no need to spend that cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since its redevelopment I don't think the chance of playing at Hampden's got the same cachet it did in the past.  I've been to QP games there, and with 500-odd folk rattling about the one section they open it makes for a fairly atmosphere-free experience.

I reckon the chance to test themselves playing senior football was always the main attraction for Junior players going to QP and with a lot more senior clubs in the mix to join now - probably a number that will increase next season too -  that's where the main talent drain's going to come from in future

Edited by Hillonearth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally i think playing at hampden every second week would have been a big attraction albeit to an almost empty stadium and it would beat most junior experiences pitch wise and setup wise obviously.QP couldnt pay wages and hampden was a charming asset for me when it came to taking our junior boys almost constantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Halfempty65 said:

Talbot Park is better surface than you’ll find at any pro club in Scotland .. magnificent pitch

No its not thats nonsense . Its not even as good as cappielow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's a license-level facility with a decent pitch then maybe it's an achievable groundshare for a club looking to make the jump over to the pyramid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Black Pennel said:

Yup...absolutely correct Hillonearth. And no player has ever come back worse after a stint at QP.

You've never saw stewart mclean :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I'd be amazed if they ever spent any of that money on operating costs; they're about to lose the rental income from Hampden, for ever. They've tended to be good with money and I suspect they'll keep that as capital for the future. They recently rebuilt their offices and Lesser Hampden is in good nick since the Commonwealth Games, so they really have no need to spend that cash.

It isn't up to standard for the SPFL so some of the money will have to go on upgrading it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

If it's a license-level facility with a decent pitch then maybe it's an achievable groundshare for a club looking to make the jump over to the pyramid.

Edusport I would imagine would want a groundshare they already train there through the week I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

It isn't up to standard for the SPFL so some of the money will have to go on upgrading it.

There would be a fair amount to do to bring it up to SPFL standards - currently there's only one bank of maybe 500 seats and virtually no cover except the overhang of the roof of the wee white building. They'd need to put in turnstiles, proper toilets and so on...it's certainly do-able, and I imagine it would suit the sort of crowds QP get for 99 out of 100 games better than the enormodome next door in terms of matchday experience.

Still a pain in the arse running track there though at the moment...

 

 

DSC_0108.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Talbot 1978 said:
2 hours ago, Jimmy Gentles said:
No its not thats nonsense . Its not even as good as cappielow. 

Yes it is Jimmy Genitals

No no talbot bing ..............cappielow is a far better surface than anything the juniors has to offer ................thats why celtic request cappielow for their youth home games and not beechwood:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

There would be a fair amount to do to bring it up to SPFL standards - currently there's only one bank of maybe 500 seats and virtually no cover except the overhang of the roof of the wee white building. They'd need to put in turnstiles, proper toilets and so on...it's certainly do-able, and I imagine it would suit the sort of crowds QP get for 99 out of 100 games better than the enormodome next door in terms of matchday experience.

Still a pain in the arse running track there though at the moment...

 

 

DSC_0108.jpg

Looks good so that does and far better than the last time i was at lesser hampden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

There would be a fair amount to do to bring it up to SPFL standards - currently there's only one bank of maybe 500 seats and virtually no cover except the overhang of the roof of the wee white building. They'd need to put in turnstiles, proper toilets and so on...it's certainly do-able, and I imagine it would suit the sort of crowds QP get for 99 out of 100 games better than the enormodome next door in terms of matchday experience.

Still a pain in the arse running track there though at the moment...

 

 

DSC_0108.jpg

You could certainly make it into a decent wee ground. Doing the pavilion side on the cheap you would maybe get away with putting a roof over the current seats I would imagine there is still room over the other side to build a stand and you can also get rid of the track to make more space. Not sure about the current state of behind both goals but at one time there was space couple of bits of terrace there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

It isn't up to standard for the SPFL so some of the money will have to go on upgrading it.

I hadn't realised that, I knew the playing surface was good and the stand had been rebuilt, but I now see from the pics that it's a long way short of adequate. They'll probably need to add 1,000 to capacity and cover the seat, plus other work. That'll take a chunk out of the windfall.

I used to watch the odd QP reserve game there, back in the last millennium...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as they play in League One or Two they only need to meet entry level ground criteria, though their floodlights must be bronze (min 300 lux). Cover being the obvious thing to sort looking at this 2017 photo.

Lesser Hampden

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×