QP moving to lesser hampden good for junior clubs?

Jimmy Gentles

So now the scotland team will remain at hampden and queens park will play out of lesser hampden as of 2020 the question is shall this put an end to the pretty much constant snapping up of junior players by QP?

Theyve always been able to dangle a large carrot at junior players to play at hampden every second week and its excellent pitch , just wondering if loads of junior players will see lesser hampden as an attraction .?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may have been an additional temptation, but I’m sure the chance to play in the pro leagues was always the main attraction. And I’m sure even lesser Hampden knocks the spots off most junior set ups. 

Plus the deal also leaves the club with several million pounds burning a hole in their pockets and the opportunity to pay pretty lavish “expenses” to any new recruits...

Just now, Junior_Arab said:

It may have been an additional temptation, but I’m sure the chance to play in the pro leagues was always the main attraction. And I’m sure even lesser Hampden knocks the spots off most junior set ups. 

Plus the deal also leaves the club with several million pounds burning a hole in their pockets and the opportunity to pay pretty lavish “expenses” to any new recruits...

I'd be amazed if they ever spent any of that money on operating costs; they're about to lose the rental income from Hampden, for ever. They've tended to be good with money and I suspect they'll keep that as capital for the future. They recently rebuilt their offices and Lesser Hampden is in good nick since the Commonwealth Games, so they really have no need to spend that cash.

Since its redevelopment I don't think the chance of playing at Hampden's got the same cachet it did in the past.  I've been to QP games there, and with 500-odd folk rattling about the one section they open it makes for a fairly atmosphere-free experience.

I reckon the chance to test themselves playing senior football was always the main attraction for Junior players going to QP and with a lot more senior clubs in the mix to join now - probably a number that will increase next season too -  that's where the main talent drain's going to come from in future

Personally i think playing at hampden every second week would have been a big attraction albeit to an almost empty stadium and it would beat most junior experiences pitch wise and setup wise obviously.QP couldnt pay wages and hampden was a charming asset for me when it came to taking our junior boys almost constantly.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I'd be amazed if they ever spent any of that money on operating costs; they're about to lose the rental income from Hampden, for ever. They've tended to be good with money and I suspect they'll keep that as capital for the future. They recently rebuilt their offices and Lesser Hampden is in good nick since the Commonwealth Games, so they really have no need to spend that cash.

It isn't up to standard for the SPFL so some of the money will have to go on upgrading it.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

If it's a license-level facility with a decent pitch then maybe it's an achievable groundshare for a club looking to make the jump over to the pyramid.

Edusport I would imagine would want a groundshare they already train there through the week I believe.

44 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

It isn't up to standard for the SPFL so some of the money will have to go on upgrading it.

There would be a fair amount to do to bring it up to SPFL standards - currently there's only one bank of maybe 500 seats and virtually no cover except the overhang of the roof of the wee white building. They'd need to put in turnstiles, proper toilets and so on...it's certainly do-able, and I imagine it would suit the sort of crowds QP get for 99 out of 100 games better than the enormodome next door in terms of matchday experience.

Still a pain in the arse running track there though at the moment...

DSC_0108.jpg

1 minute ago, Talbot 1978 said:
2 hours ago, Jimmy Gentles said:
No its not thats nonsense . Its not even as good as cappielow. 

Yes it is Jimmy Genitals

No no talbot bing ..............cappielow is a far better surface than anything the juniors has to offer ................thats why celtic request cappielow for their youth home games and not beechwood:)

3 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

There would be a fair amount to do to bring it up to SPFL standards - currently there's only one bank of maybe 500 seats and virtually no cover except the overhang of the roof of the wee white building. They'd need to put in turnstiles, proper toilets and so on...it's certainly do-able, and I imagine it would suit the sort of crowds QP get for 99 out of 100 games better than the enormodome next door in terms of matchday experience.

DSC_0108.jpg

Looks good so that does and far better than the last time i was at lesser hampden.

2 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

DSC_0108.jpg

You could certainly make it into a decent wee ground. Doing the pavilion side on the cheap you would maybe get away with putting a roof over the current seats I would imagine there is still room over the other side to build a stand and you can also get rid of the track to make more space. Not sure about the current state of behind both goals but at one time there was space couple of bits of terrace there?

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

I hadn't realised that, I knew the playing surface was good and the stand had been rebuilt, but I now see from the pics that it's a long way short of adequate. They'll probably need to add 1,000 to capacity and cover the seat, plus other work. That'll take a chunk out of the windfall.

I used to watch the odd QP reserve game there, back in the last millennium...

Archived